• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Best Mexico Experience From Texas

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I know that many TWT'ers have extensive experience riding into Mexico & I'd greatly appreciate your insight for initial day-trips. :clap:

There are two border Texas border crossings I'm primarily considering: nearest South Padre Island & Del Rio; I would camp in places nearby on this side of the border.

Thanks, Vance :mrgreen:

Hello Folks,

I know that many TWT'ers have extensive experience riding into Mexico & I'd greatly appreciate your insight for initial day-trips. :clap:

There are two border Texas border crossings I'm primarily considering: nearest South Padre Island & Del Rio; I would camp in places nearby on this side of the border.

Vance,

What are you asking? If day trips are okay? If those 2 border crossing are okay? Is camping in Mexico okay?

"Gentile-Folks" :clap:,

I truly don't mind a little sarcasm, except when it's aimed at me :rofl:. Obviously, what we have here is a failure to c-o-m-m-u-n-i-c-a-t-e!

These guys may be The-Real-Deal about Mexico, but I hear-tell that The Dentist is Da-Man... does he have his ears own?

Muchas Gracias :trust:

Hello Folks,

back IN THE DAY, i rode the hand drawn ferry into Mexico

the passengers got to pull our way over & back

access point/crossing/ferry is near the little town of LOS EBANOS

IMG_0912_zps28a49919.jpg

IMG_0911_zpsb9b82e6a.jpg

nice restaurant in the village across the river

& they liked AMERICAN DOLLARS

sw

Wow-Wow-Wow :eek2:

That's What I'm Talking About :clap:... Back-In-Da-Day! Where is that & does it still run? Thx, V>>>

My-Bad,

Just found Los Ebanos! I'd sure like to hear more about riding through/around this place! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: V>>>

I've crossed in Del Rio and it's fine. Not much on the mexico side once you leave the city.

Seminole Canyon State Park isn't far away and is a nice camping option.

i-WsnCqRV-L.jpg

If you want the best Mexico experience from Texas, get used to the word "downrange", especially if you are crossing from Texas into the state of Tamaulipas. Of the 31 Mexican states, the 3 "hot" states are Tamaulipas, Michoacán, and Guerrero. Caveat: there are recent examples of moto travelers transiting these states without incident. I am giving you my current opinion. If you had more experinece in Mexico I might give you a different opinion.

You are asking about "day trips". I do not recommend sustained close border travel from Matamoros west along Mx 200. I do not recommend that you "camp out on this side of the border" and run around in Mexico within shouting distance of the Rio Grande along the Texas border in Tamaulipas or Coahuila.

However, in a group, a reasonable "day trip" from McAllen/Reynosa for a no0b would be to cross and head straight for Galeana. This advice is now square in the category of "getting down range", away from the border. Milton Otto/Trail Boss/Shadman and others know very well how much this day trip can yield in terms of great riding. Galeana was the epicenter of our twtex.com MexTrek riding.

I do recommend day trips from Ojinaga/Presidio into the state of Chihuahua. This usually involves the rider enjoying collateral time in Big Bend National Park. In fact, inside the park itself you can enjoy a river crossing and an afternoon in Boquillas. JT/Trail Boss recently did the king of day trips from OJ in that JT pioneered the back country route to the Mexico side of Santa Eleana Canyon.

Not too long ago I crossed over from Arizona and had an enjoyable ride down to Banamichi and on to the Copper Canyon. I mention this to say I feel more comfortable along the border in the state of Sonora than 2 of the 3 states along the Texas border. This also includes the crossing in New Mexico at Palomas. So, in summary, I recommend close border travel only at Agua Prieta in Arizona and Ojinaga in Texas. At all others I would ride post haste to get downrange.

This is just my opinion, others will have different opinions. There are examples at all crossing of riders who have zero problems. I also have specific examples of riders who have not had good luck, but that conversation is better had face to face.

I think Mexico has the richest culture, finest people, best scenery, best motorcycle roads, best food and the most rewards of any country in the Americas. I am not telling you not to ride close to the border at the crossings being discussed here. I am telling you my thought process and giving you a little insight into my risk management assessment.

Good luck

PS:

If Youz-Guyz would like to meet-up b4 Mexico, come check-out "The Po-Boy 300."

I'm not sure Neil (aka: youzguyz on the board here) does Mexico or not.

You might want to pm him before signing him up.... :deal:

I recommend bribing tricepilot to tag along as guide! He's easily bought with beer or shiny orange things.

Tricepilot gave an outstanding presentation on riding in Mexico several years back at an Around the Bend banquent! Maybe a quick guidebook will soon be in order...!:clap:

Tricepilot gave an outstanding presentation on riding in Mexico several years back at an Around the Bend banquent! Maybe a quick guidebook will soon be in order...!:clap:

Uncles Around The Bend - 2011
Bob giving his presentation on "Is it safe to travel to deep Mexico"?
2011Terlingua%209048-126-XL.jpg

Wow-Wow-Wow :eek2:

That's What I'm Talking About :clap:... Back-In-Da-Day! Where is that & does it still run? Thx, V>>>
The vehicles in that photo don't say Back-in-the-Day to anyone older than 30, haha. Late 90's I was already middle aged.

_

Muy Bueno Info :clap:,

However, since tricepilot responded here early with "r-u-nuts", I do feel compelled to ask "r-u-fruity?" The answer IS.... I Do Resemble :rofl::rofl::rofl: That Remark!!!

I can assure All-Of-Ya'll, I'ma goin whether it's safe or not... this is not my first rodeo, but it's OK if it's my last. :lol2:

Uncles Around The Bend - 2011
Bob giving his presentation on "Is it safe to travel to deep Mexico"?
2011Terlingua%209048-126-XL.jpg

That wood carving in the photo displayed on the wall is from the Oaxaca Valley.

A sub-culture of Mexico, the Zapotecs, mastered the art.

If anyone makes it to the state of Oaxaca (capitol: Oaxaca (city)), I highly recommend exploring the towns around the state's capitol.

For wood carvings, the towns of Arrazola, San Martin Tilcajete and La Union, are probably the finest places to find authentic, amazing wood artesanias.

Here's the point: Sure, it's fun to "cross the border" and dip your toes into Mexico. But IMHO, Mexico isn't what you find in border towns, or even the border zone.

One really has to go downrange and into the elevations and into the distant coastal areas (away from Cancun and the Coasta Maya etc.) to discover the real Mexico.

The reason why Trail Boss's MexTrek was so successful was that Richard knew the magic formula - ride less than a day away from the U.S. border and be immersed into a safe, distant world. Galeana with the MexTrek gang was such a crazy, wonderful, experience with some of the best riding on the planet.

I'm really not talking to you anymore Vance (I wish you the best of luck), I'm talking to the casual reader of this thread: figure out how to get past the border and border towns, and get into the real Mexico, far away from the border and an easy one day ride to "safety".

Mexico will surprise you. Manage its risks much like you would anywhere in the world.

I went to Jordan last year. Walked around Amman. Then crossed into Israel and walked deep into the Muslim market in Jerusalem. Was I reckless? Crazy? I balanced the risks and did some "due diligence" study.

Sorry, Vance, but I wouldn't just wing it going into Mexico. Sounds great on the internet, but you can get your glutes into a crack quickly. If you know where/when/how and you have a measure of common sense, it's way safer than riding a motorbike to Detroit.

Hey, I do love your cute icons and your "Saved By The Bell" style, though

Rock On

Last edited:
Hey Vance,
Take a couple hours or so and hit the links in Tricepilots sig-line one by one. You'll appreciate much more what the 'real' Mexico has to offer.

Back