• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Saturday "slow and easy ride" SHNF west side

Buelligan

Inactive Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Faulk
Hey guys, us OLD DUDES are riding the west side of the SHNF on Saturday at the west side trailhead off FS208 just north of Stubblefield rd at 10am. Going to be an easy ride thru the String and Balloon loop, we just worked these trails 2 weeks ago and should be in pretty good shape. Come on out and ride....
Larry / orange truck / KTM 350sxf / 65 years old - can't miss me.

BTW, with the rain, call before you haul SHNF 888-361-6908 ext 2

I'm backed up with work, but if I can move some stuff out of the way, I'm gonna try to get there. Where exactly do you meet up. (new to dirt)

Martin

trailhead is located off FM 1375 near lake Conroe. Off I-45 North you would exit New Waverly, FM 1375. You need to go west on 1375 across Lake Conroe. When you come to Stubblefield rd turn north on it (paved) for about 1/2 mile, then dirt road goes straight and Stubblefield rd turns to the right, go up the dirt road (fs 208) for about 1/2 mile, trailhead is on the left side.

If you're coming up 149 headed north from Montgomery, Tx turn right on fm 1375, then a left on Stubblefield rd, go up 1/2 mile and straight onto the dirt road (fs 208) and trailhead is on your left about 1/2 mile up.

trailhead is located off FM 1375 near lake Conroe. Off I-45 North you would exit New Waverly, FM 1375. You need to go west on 1375 across Lake Conroe. When you come to Stubblefield rd turn north on it (paved) for about 1/2 mile, then dirt road goes straight and Stubblefield rd turns to the right, go up the dirt road (fs 208) for about 1/2 mile, trailhead is on the left side.

If you're coming up 149 headed north from Montgomery, Tx turn right on fm 1375, then a left on Stubblefield rd, go up 1/2 mile and straight onto the dirt road (fs 208) and trailhead is on your left about 1/2 mile up.

Thanks. Will try to get there depending on workload.

Yamma Jamma turn left only to visit with others at the trailhead. To ride you really should turn right and stay on the Forestry roads. You say you're new to dirt and if riding the F800 in your signature, the multi use trails will be too much for you for the time being at least. You'll have fun on the dirt forestry roads and you can weave around SHNF on them spending the better part of a day. That would be a good introduction to dirt riding for you. And even on those roads I still suggest you find a riding partner.

_

Whoa, an F800GS on those trails after the rain we have had would be a really bad choice. Silverbullet is right, dirt roads would be much more fun and a lot safer on that bike, besides, you'd spend a fortune relacing all the plastics and mirrors and bent items on the BMW by the time you got 5 miles in. No knobbies, no bueno.....

Extremely bad choice! Only good thing he wouldn't get far if still wet. Limit the damage! You'll be doing good to keep knobbies upright! lol Have fun guys. I might be out Sunday if possible.

Turns out, I have to work tomorrow. Sunday the temp is going up to 67F. I can reliably plan to go out then and would like to try out some tame stuff. Are any of you all available Sunday for a newbie?

ps...thanks for the advice in the above posts.

Possibly if after church. Would love to see the 800. Used to have a BMW 650.

Possibly if after church. Would love to see the 800. Used to have a BMW 650.

After church would be fine. Would give the temp a chance to warm up and the ground to further dry. If that works give me a time and place. Martin at 713.562.3910.

Thanks

Sorry, looks like a dirtbike day. I look forward to riding with you soon. I checked some roads today, pretty wet but you could try if you like. Just start by the trade school off FM1375.

Guys, trails were very wet with lots of puddles on the string but bottoms were packed down good, balloon loop was in real good shape though even though it rained the 2 days before this ride. Temps started at 45* and ended up at 55*, couldn't have asked for better riding weather with the sun out. 5 of us rode today, no dust, packed sand, and great temps......you guys missed out for sure.

Guys, trails were very wet with lots of puddles on the string but bottoms were packed down good, balloon loop was in real good shape though even though it rained the 2 days before this ride. Temps started at 45* and ended up at 55*, couldn't have asked for better riding weather with the sun out. 5 of us rode today, no dust, packed sand, and great temps......you guys missed out for sure.

Next time. :rider:

Took SILVERBULLET's advice Sunday and went up and got a feel for the bike on the forestry roads. Enjoyed it and had no problems. One or two almost "depends" moments when I fishtailed in loose dirt...but that was mild. Stopped at a trail head and looked down the trails. I'm not sure that there are any of those that an 800 and an inexperienced rider are cut out to do.

Appreciate all the advice. Keep me in mind for tame rides. Happy Trails.

Martin

Back