• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Post-apocalyptic photo shoot

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Thoughts?

i-DjRz5mH-XL.jpg

I just want to know what lead up to this idea. :mrgreen:

I like the black and white. It sets the mood for the idea of a major calamity. The M4 seems out of place given the rest of the props.

Extending the bayonet would add some gravitas.

Thanks guys.... This was a fun shoot and I was thinking of a series of this kind of shot making the viewer really wonder what's going on more than anything. The gas mask is the thing that sets it in that realm. It's fantasy, not reality.

Yeah, in an NBC environment there's too much skin, but this isn't supposed to be 'technically' correct from a military perspective. It's a creation. Maybe the title here or if used in a series needs to be changed?

I tried for more contrast but began to lose some edges with the algorithm in the conversion so that was out. The full size high-res version is awesome tack sharp but compression is getting the better one on this for sizing.

The AR bugs me being in there and it's not a simple 'photoshop' to remove it. I tried. lol... But I kick myself for it. The old adage "less is more" certainly applies here. And her foot under the deck is totally black/gone which I should have addressed.

"Not impressed with the firearms in there" As in NO firearms would have been better? Or my choice/selection could have been different? I brought along a Browning 1919A4 with a belt I could have used yet opted not to. The rifle on the left is in fact a Yugo-66. Had it maybe 10 years now, still in cosmoline and never fired. Pig-sticker and grenade attachments, yes.

Shades of gray? No - It's a B&W conversion. (i see what you did there) :-)

Last edited:
That's an awfully big scope for such a short bbl on that AR.

Oh, right, the picture.
I'm with Chris, more contrast might help things be a little more visible.
I like the concept, but the nearly-the-same everything makes you look hard at it. Maybe that's the point?

I'd have her holding the gas mask or as a prop to one side. Maybe a bandanna or weight lifter post-apocalyptic gloves, some bad-*** vest or leather jacket - the official uniform of those genres.

More contrast?

Yes, more contrast. And grain... lots of grain. When I think of post-apocolyptic I think of Tri-X Pan 400 pushed to 1600 shot with a Pentax K-1000 and then sepia-toned. Similar to the effect used in the movie "Book of Eli".

The set needs some empty soup cans or trash or leaves scattered about and a scruffy dog laying on the porch. Maybe even mock up a newspaper with the headline "End Of World" or "Alien Attack" or some such.

So what I'm reading is, most each would do it differently....

Here's a high-contrast, lots-s-grain, sepia version: Whatever those algorithms are, I think technically the image is starting to fall apart for pixelation
i-cwBQz6g-XL.jpg

I must apologize for my comment I made, I did not realize what you were doing.

No apology needed!

This little corner of TWT is for shutter-bugs (and models) of all types/levels and non-shutterbugs alike to post thoughts and images photography related. In that light, the "Critique My Photo" section is even more focused on everyone providing input on a particular shot someone posts to gain insight as to how it works/turned out, or what could possibly be done to improve it if the possibility of a re-shoot exists.

The whole premise of the Photography section was created to foster an open dialogue in all things photographic with the hopes that knowledge could be gained by members which they could take to the field/on the road and incorporate a better image in their Ride Reports. :photo: :rider:

So no need to apologize for your comments! But I gotta' ask..... was it the gun choice or should be no guns? :mrgreen:

No apology needed!

This little corner of TWT is for shutter-bugs (and models) of all types/levels and non-shutterbugs alike to post thoughts and images photography related. In that light, the "Critique My Photo" section is even more focused on everyone providing input on a particular shot someone posts to gain insight as to how it works/turned out, or what could possibly be done to improve it if the possibility of a re-shoot exists.

The whole premise of the Photography section was created to foster an open dialogue in all things photographic with the hopes that knowledge could be gained by members which they could take to the field/on the road and incorporate a better image in their Ride Reports. :photo: :rider:

So no need to apologize for your comments! But I gotta' ask..... was it the gun choice or should be no guns? :mrgreen:

gun choice, but that was because of thinking in terms of the future.
Altho you could consider the pic dated because of the older model of camper for background.
At least to me, that is an old camper from 60's or early 70's.

Last edited:
gun choice, but that was because of thinking in terms of the future.

Thanks! I think in the future the only round available will be the 7.62x39, so the Yugo66 sort of fit! That's why the AR bugs me in there now.

....and here is a pullback towards the end of the shoot.

Large 24x36 gridded softbox camera left on a boom arm with a speedlight in it, and the reflectors were used in various positions camera right to fill in shadow from the softbox. The second bright spot on the trailer surface to the right is from a shoot-thru umbrella camera right I used that set wayyyyy back to just put a little 'puff' of light on the whole scene

i-MjkWbMB-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Back