• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas State Parks and Historic Sites

Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Last Name
McDowell
Who can visit all the state parks in Texas in the shortest period of time.

The winner will be crowned as the most traveled rider within the state (may not be true but we will make believe it is), the most informed about state history (assuming you also do the historic sites and do your homework) and shall have seen more of the state than most every other rider ever will.:trust:

RULES

Very simple.
1. Keep a personal record of where and when you visit a Texas State Park.
2. Take a photo of your bike at the entrance (it's OK if you use more than one bike to do this. (just not at the same time).:lol2:
3. Several of the parks have more than one entrance. You need only visit one.
4. If for some reason the park entrance sign is not there. Take your picture at the nearest intersection showing your location.
5. On their Texas Parks web site linked below are list many Historic Sites that are NOT State Parks. You Do Not have to visit them tom win this game but I have many of them in my goal.
6. Post here the parks you visit and a picture of your bike at that park. I'm pretty sure the OP will not want us posting large photos so less keep them under a meg each.

*** The working count is now 78 State Parks, excluding those that are designated as Historic Sites only. They reach from one end of the state to the extreme other. Frequently having many miles between parks. Many are off the beaten path and take some navigating to get there.

As will will see on the Web Site the State also has a Geocache challenge
Sure adds an additional element to our game.

Texas State Parks

Please post any suggestion you have to make this more fun or doable. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Without rushing things it has taken me almost four years to visit all of them. I've one more to go (Big Spring) and hope to hit it by the end of the month. Sea Rim was the most out of the way. Great contest and well worth all the mileage.

Without rushing things it has taken me almost four years to visit all of them. I've one more to go (Big Spring) and hope to hit it by the end of the month. Sea Rim was the most out of the way. Great contest and well worth all the mileage.

Congratulations !!!!
I hope someday to be able to say I only have 1 left

ATGATT. Lee
" I never worry about getting lost.
I just change where I plan on going."
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm out chasing State Parks in the Pan Handle and Plains.
Details later. 8 parks in 2 days. Just left Palo Duro Canyon. Here it is early April and park ranger was telling us that all camp sites are sold out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had forgotten all about this thread. dang-it.
could have made a lot them, extended my ride another 1 month or so if i had not of been given out.

I have ran into a couple of state parks where there was not really a sign, meaning big brick blocked attractive sign. Then again another SP where it would have been hard to get the pic as no parking room on two lane, nor do i want to get a ticket for parking on the grass at the entrance.

I think i could get away with parking on the grass if just a tad off of it.
3 feet or so.

I'm out chasing State Parks in the Pan Handle and Plains.
Details later. 8 parks in 2 days. Just left Palo Duro Canyon. Here it is early April and park ranger was telling us that all camp sites are sold out.

Easter Weekend i couldn't find a place to camp in SP. wound up in a motel.

Easter Weekend i couldn't find a place to camp in SP. wound up in a motel.

Good thing for our parks. Not so good when we are just out riding, not knowing where we will finish our day, and then find not open camping [emoji14]

ATGATT. Lee

I ended last weekend with a total of 12 parks plus a run to White Sands to see the Trinity Site for its annual open day. Long trip for less than 1 hour stay but well worth the time and effort.

I'm leaving Wednesday for oldies races in Jefferson and should get at least another 9 state parks on this trip, maybe more depending on weather and my route back to SA.

ATGATT. Lee

Good thing for our parks. Not so good when we are just out riding, not knowing where we will finish our day, and then find not open camping [emoji14]

ATGATT. Lee

It does not make any sense to me to not be able make a reservation for another park, at the current park your camping. Meaning through that park office. Instead you either have go online, or call them.
I don't carry a list of parks, nor all of their phone numbers.
The parks have a map of all of them. Looking at the map and thinking i want to go there..... Nope, sorry we can't make a reservation for you.

Which reminds me, I was on I20, getting late and wanted to stop state park sign, it was called a state park so i thought camping. Went there and it was a recreation area, no camping and it was closed also.

Thought we were suppose to post the pics? Only after doen them all?
that don't make sense.

Last edited:
If this becomes a thread-hiJack, let me know and I'll move the conversation.

It does not make any sense to me to not be able make a reservation for another park, at the current park your camping. Meaning through that park office. Instead you either have go online, or call them.
I don't carry a list of parks, nor all of their phone numbers.
The parks have a map of all of them. Looking at the map and thinking i want to go there..... Nope, sorry we can't make a reservation for you.

I couldn't believe this when I read it. Though I must confess that I have never tried to make a reservation for another park from the park I was currently at. And it never occurred to me that you couldn't. So, I sent an email to the TPWD's Customer Service to ask them if this was true. Here is the message I sent...

If I am camping at a given Texas state park and would like to make reservations at another Texas state park, can the park rangers at the park at which I am currently camping help me to make the new reservation? I ask because I do not always carry a cell phone or computer while camping.
Here is the reply I received...
Good Morning, Unfortunately the parks are unable to make future reservations. They only have access to same day reservations. Let us know if you have any questions. Thank you. We hope to see you at one of your parks soon!
Jessica Reagan
Lead Agent
Texas Parks and Wildlife
4200 Smith School Rd
Austin, TX 78744
512-389-8900
TPWDCustomer.Service@tpwd.texas.gov
This still didn't make sense to me either so I responded with this email...

Thank you for the reply Jessica. I am coming to realize that the Texas State Parks reservation system is geared toward someone at home or office and that the system currently does not have features that allow it to be camper friendly. In other words the reservation system is designed for someone with access to a phone, that probably needs to allow calling long distance, and/or an internet connection.

Do any park offices have kiosks, connected to the internet reservation systems, to allow campers to make future reservations online? Or do any offices offer/provide access to a phone that a camper could use to call the reservation phone number at 512/389-8900?
To be continued?...

Where did you post the pictures of the entrance to the SPs?
Thought we were suppose to do that.

To be continued?...

In response to using a park phone in office, none of the three times (twice last year and once last trip) i wanted to make a forward reservation did they offer to let me use their phone.
If i was allowed, figured they would offer to let me.

If this becomes a thread-hiJack, let me know and I'll move the conversation.

I couldn't believe this when I read it. Though I must confess that I have never tried to make a reservation for another park from the park I was currently at. And it never occurred to me that you couldn't. So, I sent an email to the TPWD's Customer Service to ask them if this was true. Here is the message I sent...

Here is the reply I received...

To be continued?...

As much as I like the idea of supporting state parks I continue to find just down right poor customer service there. I still go but now I lean more towards camping at KOA campgrounds . They even have a rout planner on the web site.

no pix, didn't happen!

:rider:

I have a few pics but certainly not all. Got to this park before the gates were open and didn't have time to hang around. Whtnhasnt happened a is my trip to my last SP, Big Spring. :(

picture.php

OK... 8 additional parks last weekend.
Lake Somerville, Washington on the Brazos (doesn't count as its a Historic Site Only but worth trip), Fort Boggy(which was closed with others trying to get in as well as myself), Fort Parker, Fairfield Lake, Purtis Creek, Tyler, Martin Creek Lake and Caddo Lake.

Pictures

My count is now 23 of 78 and have traveled over 3000 miles.

Last edited:
OK... 8 additional parks last weekend.
Lake Somerville, Washington on the Brazos (doesn't count as its a Historic Site Only but worth trip), Fort Boggy(which was closed with others trying to get in as well as myself), Fort Parker, Fairfield Lake, Purtis Creek, Tyler, Martin Creek Lake and Caddo Lake.

Pictures

My count is now 23 of 78 and have traveled over 3000 miles.

Wrong link for pic. Want's passw.
Want to see where you parked for pic of TSP.

I gota get a-move on it today then.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks. Just back from TSP, got there and the camera battery was dead, figures.
I did have the freaking thing on charge last night, i think.......

Ok, thanks. Just back from TSP, got there and the camera battery was dead, figures.

I did have the freaking thing on charge last night, i think.......

Whaaaaaattttt! Did you get on with your phone.
Didn't I just read the you got a new camera?

ATGATT. Lee

Last edited:
Whaaaaaattttt! Did you get on with your phone.
Didn't I just read the you got a new camera?

ATGATT. Lee

Ordered, not here yet...
Olympus site said last week of april for shipping.
hope i get before i leave on trip starting first of next week.

yea, cell phone, forgot i had it with me...:headbang:

Back from Strom-A-Thon. Picked up 6 more state parks. 3 going (Guadalupe River, Blanco and LBJ plus LBJ National Historical ranch tour and Enchanted Rock natural area.)
3 More on my way home (Longhorn Carverns, Inks Lake and Pedernales Falls)
Bring my total so far this spring to 29 of 78 State Parks or 37%. Have already ridden many miles but to get the remaining have many more yet to ride. Must still do Big Bend and ElPaso, Rio Grand, Gulf coast and extreme N.E.. Also need a trip up the center but can get many of them my next trip to the Dallas area.

30344c14c6df849e4218c76318f790e6.jpg

http://timbercat.smugmug.com/organize/Motorcycles/Texas-State-Parks/StateParks

Last edited:
Back