• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

NW of Houston Saturday 6/10

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Hardy
We had a good 192 mile ride. :rider: It end up being Steve Smith, Steve Harding, Scott Guillote & me. We left my house about 10 am & proceeded west on FM 1960 to Kuykendahl to start north. Then Kuykendahl-Huffsmith, FM 2978, Dobbin-Huffsmith, FM 149, Jackson Road, FM 1486 to Dacus.

At Dacus we took a break under a big oak to discuss whether to go west into the unknown or keep to my mapped route; we decided for the unknown. We did keep to the mapped route for a little longer before heading into the ibis, continuing east on Dacus-Johnson Road, Bethel Road, FM 1097 ( & finally dirt), FM 1791, Taliaferro Road. There we deviated from my mapped route & headed north/west on Bays Chapel Road, CR 232, CR 233 & found hamburgers in Shiro. :eat:

After a long break we headed west on Hwy 30 then south on FM 2562, CR 217, FM 149 thru Richards to Bays Chapel & Taliaferro roads. Now back to the mapped route of FR 209, FM 1791, FR 208, single track trail, FR 208B, FR 208, FR 216, Stubblefield Lake Road, FM 1374. At this point Scott left the group to ride to Centerville & a paddle boat. Then the three of us turned on FR 214, FR 222, FR 233, FM 1375, Osborn Road, FM 149, Bailey Grove Road, FM 1097, FM 149, Hwy 105, Old Dobbin-Plantersville Rd, Spring Branch Road when I ran out of gas at 156 miles. :giveup: Thank goodness Steve had a siphon hose.

Back track to Montgomery for gas. From Spring Branch Road south on FM 149 & start to back track on the morning route, except we took Huffsmith Road in lieu of K-H road. We got back around 5 pm. We had a good ride with 30 (16%) miles of dirt & 162 of pavement. But no pictures.

The new front & rear springs; just new to soften the compression. The new gas tank gave a good range 131 miles to reserve & 156 to out. I just forgot that there is one gallon of unusable gas on one side. :argh:

Next stop Arkansas! :flip:

I found it.Keep this up and I might get a paying job.
thanks steve
Scott G.

Sounds like you had some fun. I've been on that little stretch of Osborn road and it's nice. Maybe I can tag along on the next one. I carry a siphon hose too, got the idea from Scott (Tourmeister).

Ah yes, well, the pics......I thought Chris was taking them and Chris thought Scott was taking them and you get the idea.....No one took any!!!!

Next time....

Steve

Well sounds like ya'll had a good time. Ahhhh burger's in Shiro I miss that place, they do have a tasty burger. I have been there a few times myself, did you take a run at the video poker:lol2:
Hey Chris, were you able to open that route I sent you? I made it in city select 7 and am still trying to figure how to make routes. MMMMMM Shiro Burgers.....
DSride2-11-06shirohtobedias011.jpg

dbdolan said:
Hey Chris, were you able to open that route I sent you? I made it in city select 7 and am still trying to figure how to make routes.
I could not open yours or Tourmeister's. My GPS mapping software has an option for .gbd files, but both gave an error. I have GPS Babel conversation program; it said it processed the files, but they had zero size.

I just noticed on a FS map that FR 275 goes between Osborn road & FM 149. Has anyone checked it out?

It is narrow and paved. It was nice and smooth about a year ago. It is starting to get potholes and is becoming bumpy.

tx timber rattler said:
Sounds like a fun ride... too bad I was in Lorena, TX. Where's the fries with that Shiro burger?:eat:

Fries? Only if you bring frieds to share them with. Trust me. :trust: that burger loaded up by itself is more than enough. Serious burger followed by a nap. :clap:

jhansen said:
Fries? Only if you bring frieds to share them with. Trust me. :trust: that burger loaded up by itself is more than enough. Serious burger followed by a nap. :clap:

Yeah, Ive tried several times with fries and can only take a few bites of fries after finishing the burger. Just checking to see if anyone can take it with fries. :doh:

tx timber rattler said:
Yeah, Ive tried several times with fries and can only take a few bites of fries after finishing the burger. Just checking to see if anyone can take it with fries. :doh:

Y'all are making me feel bad, I had the fries & burger :eat: then another 118 miles :rider:

mcrider said:
Y'all are making me feel bad, I had the fries & burger :eat: then another 118 miles :rider:

You're a better man than I, Gunga Dinn. I shared the majority of my fries on my attempt with the "official Shiro Dog greeting Party". I had three of them until they ate all of them. :rofl:

Back