• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Rocky Ridge Saturday, June 10th with Pics......

Reaction score
Jason and I met up at Rocky Ridge, got geared up, and quickly hit the trails. Jason quickly started schooling me on the finer points of jumping and clearing the road:

rocky5bw1by.jpg

Make no mistake about it, he can fly that KTM!

rocky6bw6cg.jpg

Then it was my turn. Showing off the finer points of exactly what NOT to do:

rocky1bw2ow.jpg

I quickly started to get the hang of it with Jason’s pointers:

rocky2bw1zk.jpg

And before I know it, I was clearing the entire road. Thanks again for the quick lesson.

rocky3bw0mp.jpg

We then got back on the trail in search of some of the more technical stuff the Rocky Ridge has to offer. We made several loops around the property.

rocky7bw4wb.jpg

Jason blasting up a technical and loose climb. Making it look easy as usual:

rocky8bw8ur.jpg

Then it was my turn. The first try I looped out the bike. I didn’t have the camera set right for Jason, so no pics of that, but he did get some pics of my second try:

rocky4bw9zi.jpg

Overall a fun day with a little carnage. I busted one of my bark busters, broke a brake lever, and tweaked my back real good.

Jason busted a clutch cable and almost knocked himself out. We were blasting down the trail and Jason blasted up a steep climb to our left. Next thing I know he drops to the ground at the top of the climb! I jump off my bike and run up to him to find him dazed with his bike laying on him. Turns out there was a huge (6-8”) tree limb hanging down towards the top of the climb. Problem was that it was completely obstructed at the approach and bottom of the climb. Jason never saw it and hit it really hard. It tweaked his neck and knee pretty good.

That was about it. You guys missed out!

Cheers,

tp

:rider:

I wanna see the one of my compressed suspension. I thought that looked cool. :mrgreen:

Thanks again! If you didn't plan these, I'd probably never ride. Of course now I need some recovery time. :doh:

Nice pics. I was already sorry about missing out on this, now I'm real sorry.

JasonH said:
:rider:

I wanna see the one of my compressed suspension. I thought that looked cool. :mrgreen:

Thanks again! If you didn't plan these, I'd probably never ride. Of course now I need some recovery time. :doh:

Is this the one you were thinking of:

rockyridgejhcompress9fc.jpg

Recovery time is good! I was hobbling around like a 90 year-old man yesterday too..........

Cheers,

tp

:rofl: I love that last pic! Did you find him hiding in the woods? :lol2:

Awesome pics! Looks like you guys had a blast! I guess I am not the only one that does not see branches poking out right in front of them... :wary:

Hey Tom, how is the KX holding up? did you install the flywheel weight? how do you like it?

letsride said:
Hey Tom, how is the KX holding up? did you install the flywheel weight? how do you like it?

It is holding up good. I am finally going to have to replace the bark busters.

I installed a flywheel weight. It is a completely different bike now! It is great in the woods and climbs much better.

The suspension is still a little stiff for what I like in the woods, it just needs to be revalved.

How is your foot healing?

Cheers,

tp

Before going for the revalve, check the shock and linkage bearings. The shock bearings (connect the shock to the linkage) typically go first and stiffen up the rear suspension action, the same can happen if the linkage bearings are going bad. One way to test is to remove the shock and move the swingarm, it should not bind. Try isolating,

1: Shock bearings/bushings
2: Linkage bearings/bushings
3: Swing arm bearings/bushings

and check the suspension travel for binding. Chances are it is one of the above which is waay cheaper to replace as compared to revalving the shock and then finding out the culprit was one of the above. I had to replace the shock bearings on my 05 in March. Pressure washing is one of the culprits.

My knee is back in action, planning to run the Caney Creek Enduro.

Finally got my chance to try offroad riding this weekend at Rocky Ridge. Lots of nice beginner trails, but I do see why it is called "Rocky Ridge".....MANY ROCKS TO WATCH OUT FOR.

Boyfriend bought me an early Christmas present....2005 Yamaha 230. FINALLY gettin' her dun'. :clap:

Attachments

• bike1.jpg
    bike1.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 199
  • bike_2.jpg
    bike_2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 200
I am totally smitten with trail riding......boyfriend rides trails too. I couldn't think of a better Christmas present. Thanks for the encouragement

Attachments

• bike1.jpg
    bike1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 187
  • bike_2.jpg
    bike_2.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 183
Very nice bike! Welcome to a wonderful and fun sport. A warning though: rocks are hazardous to exposed brake and clutch levers if (when) you tip over. The best way to protect them are with a set of "bark busters" or hand gaurds. It's really upsetting to break something on your bike and not be able to ride the rest of the day.

Thanks for the advice. My boyfriend is ordering me hand guards and other safety equipment. He rides off road too. Over the weekend he took me out to Rocky for practice...you're right, not only are there plenty of rocks, watch sand pockets. He is a racing instructor for Ride-Smart and he is also familiar with off-road riding, so he is helping me get started. I haven't fallen yet....but I'm sure it's bound to happen. I had a blast on the trails and runways.

mary111 said:
Thanks for the advice. My boyfriend is ordering me hand guards and other safety equipment. He rides off road too. Over the weekend he took me out to Rocky for practice...you're right, not only are there plenty of rocks, watch sand pockets. He is a racing instructor for Ride-Smart and he is also familiar with off-road riding, so he is helping me get started. I haven't fallen yet....but I'm sure it's bound to happen. I had a blast on the trails and runways.

Congrats girl, lookin' good on them two wheels. Ride safe and HAVE FUN !
:clap:

Thanks, JetBlue, I am literally having a blast on the trails. Boyfriend commented that I picked up quickly and he was surprised that I wasn't nervous. I've been waiting for quite a while to get on the dirt and he wants me to join in with him. He felt that the Yamaha 230 was a good beginner off-road bike for me. I, of course, passed on his offer for me to try out his 250. ;-)

L0weed said:
"yet"...:rider:

Tell the old coot hello too.:mrgreen:

I realized today who you were....you recognized me because of the bike you had already seen at my boyfriend's house. Good to know you are on TWT. Watch it, L, the "old coot" is only two months older than me. But you must admit, he is a fantastic rider, though.

mary111 said:
I realized today who you were....you recognized me because of the bike you had already seen at my boyfriend's house. Good to know you are on TWT. Watch it, L, the "old coot" is only two months older than me. But you must admit, he is a fantastic rider, though.

Yeah, he rides pretty good for a fellow his age. :trust:

Glad to see your having fun with the new toy. It's a very addictive habit.:mrgreen:

L0weed said:
Yeah, he rides pretty good for a fellow his age. :trust:

Glad to see your having fun with the new toy. It's a very addictive habit.:mrgreen:

Yes, it is addictive....I'm having a blast riding with him. He is extremely patient which I like; I guess as an instructor that is a necessity. He does make sure he still stays in good physical shape for road riding too.

Back