• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Flash in the daylight? Yep

Whatever gladiator that knowest this not, is unworthy of the arena!

thumbsdown.jpg

Daytime fill flash is one of my best friends. One of the great things about it is that you can still use your little harsh flash without a modifier if you don't have anything handy. Since you are shooting in harsh daylight anyway, it just goes with the scene.

In fact, I snapped the two pictures below on Tuesday with my Canon pocket camera, while I was visiting friends at Abilene State Park. Lefthand picture - no flash. Righthand picture - flash.

Attachments

• 2015-0407 - Beth Ballengee Smith (1).jpg
    2015-0407 - Beth Ballengee Smith (1).jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 235
  • 2015-0407 - Beth Ballengee Smith (2).jpg
    2015-0407 - Beth Ballengee Smith (2).jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 228
In fact, I snapped the two pictures below on Tuesday with my Canon pocket camera, while I was visiting friends at Abilene State Park. Lefthand picture - no flash. Righthand picture - flash.

Big difference!

Just guessing here, but is she the daughter of Ansel Adams?

I can't imagine why you would always use a flash or always use a tripod. It goes without saying that you should know how to use both. But it seems odd to say you should always use both :shrug:

She's not related to Ansel, but she once joked that she kept using her maiden name in the hope that the confusion might buy her an opportunity. She's just a local pro (Houston/Woodlands) who does a lot of workshops and writes the odd article on photography. She was also a proponent of always shooting slow ISO films. In fairness, she may have changed her mind since digital caught up with film.

I can't imagine why you would always use a flash or always use a tripod. It goes without saying that you should know how to use both. But it seems odd to say you should always use both :shrug:

For me it seems like pretty good advice "if" you can do it for the type of shot you want to pull off. The tripod will always be more stable than hand holding, no matter how steady of a shooter you happen to be. And with the flash, I have seen very few if any times where a flash wouldn't help make the photo even better. It will almost always add more punch to the subject that you are trying to photograph.

I was really hoping that this included lifting of T-shirts and such. You leave me so dissapointed... It's so hard findinig good smut anymore, I'll just go back to looking at pictures of naked... Bikes!!!!!

Saved a lot of shots that I knew would be bad by using the flash. Especially when you don't have a choice on light directions. Just gotta remember to get within flash range. Grrrrrrrr. LOL.

Back