• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

d5000 dpi question

JMZ

Reaction score
First Name
MONGO
My wife was asked if she could take a pic for someone who wants to make an 8ft banner from the pic. The lady who asked her is saying the company needs a minimum of 80 inches at 150 dpi . I have no idea what this means and my wife doesn't either :giveup: Do nay of yall know if the D5000 can do this ?

The 150dpi is the print resolution that the image will be printed at.

Yes your D5000 can do it. Make sure you shoot raw to give your printer the most information to work with.

EDIT: Another option is to send the printer your edited art works as a .TIFF file.

I would think the print shop should be able to tell you what they need.
My speculation; not experience. I have done 24 x 36 posters before.

If we're talking about 80" wide @ 150 dpi, or 12,000 pixels on the horizontal;
are we talking 96 inches high and 80" wide? 14,400 on the vertical
DPI is a print term, not a camera term, per se.

A D5000 produces 4,288 x 2,848 pixel image. I would think you'd have to enlarge it about 3x to get it to 12000 on the horizontal, or to better maintain quality, you might take 4 pictures in "subsections" and stitch them together. You can resize and stitch in paint.net, which is free. It also depends on how close you'll be to the poster when viewing. If you stand six inches from your tv, you can see the rgb dots. Standing back 4-6 feet, it's fine. Same for viewing a large poster. If you want fine art quality at a foot away, you'll have to shoot and stitch.

what print shops need

http://www.shortrunposters.com/checking-resolution

Imagine you're standing a few feet back, and looking at this 8 foot by 10 foot poster. Then imagine standing 18" from the same poster. The small logo is how it would roughly appear at that 18" distance.
That picture started at 2448 x 3264 and was blown up in paint.net to the 8 x 10 foot dimension @ 150 dpi. The pic on the left is "fit to window" and the one on the right is a crop of it at 100%.

Attachments

• Capture1.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 198
  • Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
I have done 6' wide with a slightly cropped single image out of my D5100 and as long as you aren't getting 12" up close to the thing it is perfect. But at 6' wide, the intention is not to be 12" away.

I don't know the differences between the 5000 and 5100 so take what I have done with a grain of salt if you will.

So I had to go test the .tif theory.....

Here's an image which was shot Nikon .nef or RAW.
Format: RAW
Dimensions : 2784pxx1848px
Size: 4.7MB

A .jpg converstion representation:
i-SqgVwvM-XL.jpg

So I took the file into LR, told it to export as 120" (12 feet) on the long side, export as a TIFF and at 150dpi.
Format: TIFF
Dimensions: 18000pxx11948px
Size: 1.3GB (yes, GIGABYTE)

A screengrab of the TIFF image with the above criteria at 100%
i-V8xbxhM-XL.png

So my conclusion is, yes this can be done. The TIFF version ain't pretty close up, but at a distance would be usable. For the sake of this discussion, I've not pulled one of my larger NEF files to do the test. This file was RAW 4.7MB but on average my D700 shoots about 12MB so there's a lot more data available for the export.

Back