• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hennessey Hammock anyone?

When something gets to over 100 pages of mostly positive reviews, I'm sold. Hope it gets here before the Sport Bike Rally next weekend. Might get to test it out at Garner SP if it does.

Have the asym expedition. If you can learn to tie the knots well, you will not need bulky ratchet straps. I also haul a small chair to pile gear in at night and a old tent fly to cover it. The benefits of a tent are that you can house your gear and you. In my hammock, I can house me. The chair holds clothes, boots and such, the rest stored on the bike.

I did the hammock thing for a bit over year and just couldn't fall in love with it. Once I packed enough stuff to also cover my equipment and give me a dry place to change I was packing more stuff than if I was just sleeping out of a tent. To ME (others are different) that wasn't an acceptable answer and I just went back to camping in Tents.

I do still carry a compact single nest ENO hammock that I use for relaxing at camp and for mid day naps if I feel I need one, but for me solely using a hammock to camp didn't work. It gets even less useful when you travel around out west there aren't a lot a lot of trees (or no trees a lot of times) to hang your hammock. Then you have to resort to jury rigging it into a ground shelter which again doesn't work for me.

It's nice to be able to pack up my 3 person tent (about as large as my Hennesey hammock with tree savers and snake skins and whatnot) and be able to sit in it in my Alite chair during a rainy day and have enough room to stretch out and move around while my gear is nice and dry in the tent or Vestibule with me.

I went from tent to hammock and found the hammock much more comfortable allowing me a good nights rest.

Trees are a problem. Sometimes there aren't any or not spaced right. So I also carried a small tent and pad. So I ended up carrying even more stuff.

I then went from hammock to a toy hauler with heat, a/c, kitchen, bathroom and a queen sized memory foam mattress. I have found this to be the best camping option yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use an HH. A carry over from backpacking. Its a much better sleep than the ground (for me). Yes, you need to be selective about camp location with an eye to vertical support. But then again tent camping takes the same amount of effort for site selection.
Ive been in the HH during heavy rain, the fly did a good job of keeping me dry.
Its small, its light, its adequate shelter.

Woot!

I've been considering it for the better nights sleep. I've been taking the kiddo camping in our family tent and even the air mattress doesn't cut it....cuz the durn thing leaks. I'll be picking up a decent cot for our next outing but that's not practical on a bike. I'm thinking the hammock might be the ticket for a good nights sleep while moto camping.

One thing I've noticed about the HH we have, and I'll admit to being very hot natured, is that I need a good breeze to not be miserably hot in the TX summers. The bug net really seems to block way more airflow that I thought it would...then ad to that if I'm hanging it in a heavily wooded (or brushy here in West TX) area and I've abandoned it to sleep out under the stars before.

Having said that, I LOVE the comfort of sleeping in one when the temp is cool enough, or there's enough breeze to make it bearable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But then again tent camping takes the same amount of effort for site selection.

Woot!

There's a lot more flatish ground out there than there are trees at the proper distance for a hammock.

Sent from my iPhone

There's a lot more flatish ground out there than there are trees at the proper distance for a hammock.

Sent from my iPhone

I guess it doesn't go without saying, YMMV

Last edited:
Back