• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Father's Day solo DS ride w/pictures

dbdolan

Inactive Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Dolan
6/18/06-Well I got bored sitting around the house and it looked like the rain was over, so I went for a ride:rider: I was just itching to go exploring with my new(to me) GPS. My ram mount came in earlier in the week and I hard wired the power to the battery so I went looking for some dirt roads that I had not been on. Made my way from Tomball, TX to Montgomery, TX and topped off my 6 gallon tank at the Texaco then headed west. Here is the route I took, made my way up to my usual CR roads north of Dacus then worked my way back south to 105 then did some exploring south of Navasota.
navasotamap.jpg

Came across a turtle who was making it's way across the road, it was probably wondering what in the world I was doing.
FathersDayDSride6-18-06003.jpg

It was actually kind of cool outside which made for some nice riding.
FathersDayDSride6-18-06004.jpg

FathersDayDSride6-18-06005.jpg

The dirt roads where in perfect shape after all the rain, no dust and kind of loose. I came across several beasts on the roads, after all the storms there were fences down and quite a few limbs down.
FathersDayDSride6-18-06006.jpg

FathersDayDSride6-18-06009.jpg

There were some incredible ranches along the way.
FathersDayDSride6-18-06007.jpg

This one was over near Navasota
FathersDayDSride6-18-06011.jpg

On one of the County Roads I came across an Emu ranch
FathersDayDSride6-18-06012.jpg

My parents once raised Emus’, I had thought everyone had gotten out of the business or just let the herd's go.
FathersDayDSride6-18-06013.jpg

Ahhh... nothing like hearing the thumping bass of the Emu.
FathersDayDSride6-18-06014.jpg

This was a cool road, it ran next to a wild game ranch. The land was for sale so I thought I would check it out.
FathersDayDSride6-18-06017.jpg

I was taking the usual bridge shot when I noticed a heard of Fallow Deer.
FathersDayDSride6-18-06018.jpg

Sorry about the quality, I had it zoomed in to the max and the lens really stinks with this camera.
FathersDayDSride6-18-06021.jpg

FathersDayDSride6-18-06016.jpg

FathersDayDSride6-18-06020.jpg

Back to the main CR roads...
FathersDayDSride6-18-06022.jpg

Trying to get creative.. almost time for some new knob’s.
FathersDayDSride6-18-06023.jpg

Exploring the power line trails....
FathersDayDSride6-18-06024.jpg

The mud was nice and sticky..
FathersDayDSride6-18-06025.jpg

Right after this photo the trail pretty much ended. As I was turning around I noticed a big wire spool with an old smokey bbq pit setup up next to it tucked back in the woods. There were also several cans of potted meat next to the pit and a few jugs of water. I assume someone was living back here in the middle of nowhere, they must not want to be found so I high tailed it out of there.
FathersDayDSride6-18-06026.jpg

Back on the main roads, I came out in Todd Mission and stopped for a water break at Henry's.
FathersDayDSride6-18-06027.jpg

I think my luck was starting to run out as far as the weather, so I started making my way back home. The skies were getting darker....
FathersDayDSride6-18-06028.jpg

FathersDayDSride6-18-06030.jpg

Well I made it back home after a 4 hour ride. The Garmin 60cs GPS rocks:dude: , I can't believe I have been riding all this time without one. I rode most of the day with out getting wet, not 15 minutes after pulling into the garage the skies let loose. Talk about good timing.:trust:
I also attached the GPS track... one is the .gdb and the other is .gpx

Attachments

• navasota-todd mission.gdb
    51.8 KB · Views: 217
  • navasota-todd mission1.gpx
    276.6 KB · Views: 285
ok that was officially a cool report and great pics....sounds like alot of fun....i have a dr250s, not sure if my little bike would slow ya down, but i would love to explore some roads like that sometime if you are up for a small group ride next time...
michael

Bryan, you should have called me. I would have been up for som DS fun. With the rain, the dirt roads looked well packed and dust free. Perfect. Looks like you had fun.

Instead, I took the Ducati out for a spin in that area. It was nice and cool with very few bikes on the road. I only counted four at the burger place in Carlos. It's been so long since I rode the Duc I had to jump start it. I found myself wishing I was on the KLR everytime I passed a dirt road that hasn't been explored.

Bryan, I would also like to join up next time you make that run. The XR is ready for a few ride's have a 5 gal tank on the way I hope it will be hear Fri.

So how did you like having the GPS mounted on the bike?

Nice job Brian. :thumb: I really liked the pics esp. the one with the turtle. That was a cool gate -- they really spend a lot of time on the detail.

Roodawg307 said:
ok that was officially a cool report and great pics....sounds like alot of fun....i have a dr250s, not sure if my little bike would slow ya down, but i would love to explore some roads like that sometime if you are up for a small group ride next time...
michael
I would love to have you come along sometime, if you are street legal. You should have no problem keeping up, I might get up to 75mph. on the main roads but mostly 50 or 60 on the county roads.

XR650Rocketman said:
Looks like a fun time Bryan....Glad you stayed out of the rain....

Steve
Thanks Steve you guys have fun in OK/ARK, I will be thinking about ya'll.

Desmo said:
Bryan, you should have called me. I would have been up for som DS fun. With the rain, the dirt roads looked well packed and dust free. Perfect. Looks like you had fun.

Instead, I took the Ducati out for a spin in that area. It was nice and cool with very few bikes on the road. I only counted four at the burger place in Carlos. It's been so long since I rode the Duc I had to jump start it. I found myself wishing I was on the KLR everytime I passed a dirt road that hasn't been explored.
I did call your cell phone before I left, but got the voice mail. I know I should have left a message. I went over to the prison unit in Navasota looking for that spot next to the Brazos with all the oak trees, but I couldn't find it. Let's make a dirt run next Saturday after the pie run:rider:

Texasgolf43 said:
Bryan, I would also like to join up next time you make that run. The XR is ready for a few ride's have a 5 gal tank on the way I hope it will be hear Fri.
Sounds good, hopefully we are going to make some kind of dirt run after the pie run this Saturday.

Tourmeister said:
So how did you like having the GPS mounted on the bike?
The ram mount rocks, it pretty much absorbs all the vibrations of the thumper. Tell your dad I said thanks for the smoking deal on the GPS. I am hoping to make the NE DS ride soon to check it out, it was loaded already on the GPS when I got it from you. It is the 183 mile loop up NE of you.

Snoopster said:
Nice job Brian. :thumb: I really liked the pics esp. the one with the turtle. That was a cool gate -- they really spend a lot of time on the detail.
Thanks Debbie, when are you going to get you a DS bike so you can go exploring the dark side:lol2: You could put some knobbies on your SV:trust:

Hey Bryan,
My XR600R is street legal have changed the sprokets to have the same on top as a XL. I can hang all day at that speed if we need to but do like the off road fire roads back trail's. I do live in the Clear Lake area but can met you guy's anywere you like. All my old riding bubby's have sold there bike's.

dolan,
yes i am street legal....and my bike will run about 80 top speed.....all good to go....only thing i am wondering is about my tires...i have the metzler enduro sahara's front and back...they are a dual sport tire but not as knobby as the nice ones on your bike in the pic...im thinking i will be ok on them but wanted opinions for future tires for dualsporting....these are brand new tires....if yall go on saturday i would love to go with ya.....i have the big clarke gas tank so i think i will be good as far as fuel.....

Bryan,
Ok this is funny there are two of us answering the same question LOL I hope I was not butting in on your conversation! My name is Matthew and if the offer to ride is open to all I would like to ride along.

matthew, the more the merrier....!!....we should try to figure on a place to meet and join up....i was going to ride with some of the sport bikers, but i think my bike is too slow for them so its probably better i run with the thumpers....LOL

Roodawg307 said:
dolan,
yes i am street legal....and my bike will run about 80 top speed.....all good to go....only thing i am wondering is about my tires...i have the metzler enduro sahara's front and back...they are a dual sport tire but not as knobby as the nice ones on your bike in the pic...im thinking i will be ok on them but wanted opinions for future tires for dualsporting....these are brand new tires....if yall go on saturday i would love to go with ya.....i have the big clarke gas tank so i think i will be good as far as fuel.....
I suggest the Dunlop D606, that is what I run. They work well in the dirt and also handle well on the street, for a knob. Everyone is welcome, I am hoping to make it to the pie run in Conroe Saturday, then afterwards we can figure out where to go.

Bryan you are killing me with the way cool rides, I will see you at the pie run Saturday. I made it out east of Willis on Father's Day and found a dirt road to try and the rain had made the surface dust free and tacky, great conditions.

Looking forward to joining you and the group for a Saturday ride.:rider:

Bryan, great post and pics! All stuff that I've never seen, which is good because I love to explore new stuff.

I was in the Denison/Sherman TX area this weekend with my wife Terri to see her family. There are a lot of neat roads up there but it would be a 2 day trip.

Chris-V65Magna-TX said:
Bryan, great post and pics! All stuff that I've never seen, which is good because I love to explore new stuff.

I was in the Denison/Sherman TX area this weekend with my wife Terri to see her family. There are a lot of neat roads up there but it would be a 2 day trip.

Let me know when you come back, and I'll show you around.

This is one of Tourmeister's routes, I would love to try and give it a shot. It is about 182 miles I believe. James you have been missing all the good stuff:trust: Chris you going to the pie run? We got to get in some kind of ride since those bums are going to OK/ARK on the DS run. Any way here is the route, if we don't do this Saturday then sometime in the near future. It would probably be more interesting then the fire roads around the SHNF that I have done way too many times.
dsNE.jpg

Man we will need to eat a lot of pie, and take some with us too. I am game!!:eat2:

oldbmw said:
Let me know when you come back, and I'll show you around.

Chris, I thought about you while I was up there. My plan was to load the KLX into the back of my Avalanche and do some riding. My wife's brother in law has a Honda cruiser. The weather forecast looked gloom so the KLX didn't get to go. Turned out the wx was really pretty good! Oh well.

dbdolan said:
Chris you going to the pie run? We got to get in some kind of ride since those bums are going to OK/ARK on the DS run.

I'm on call that day..the only Saturday that I'm not OFF in June! Yet if I don't get called out to fly that day then we (Terri, Megan and I) will be there and I hope to ride as well. Chances of me attending are very slim right now!

Back