• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lily: the drone camera that follows you

poser

Reaction score
First Name
jason
Last Name
bohac
I was recently running the Tough Mudder with some friends (10+ mile mud obstacle coarse), and talking about why I didn't bring my gopro. Who really wants to watch hours of first person running with a few obstacle thrown in?
I told him, what I really think would be cool is a drone that follows you around and films you. He said I should patent that idea.

Well today he sends me this link…

https://www.lily.camera

Super cool, though it has it's limitations. Only 20 minute battery. However, I would imagine that will be changing as it seems battery tech moves fast.

Watch the video, it's pretty sweet.

Love this. :lol2:

Can I use Lily to spy on my neighbors?

Lily is always pointing at you and less than 100ft from you (pro tip: best shots are in the 10-30ft range). Also, Lily’s motors make noise. So other people will most likely notice Lily and quickly figure out where you are. You are better off climbing up a tree and using binoculars.

Love this. :lol2:

Can I use Lily to spy on my neighbors?

Lily is always pointing at you and less than 100ft from you (pro tip: best shots are in the 10-30ft range). Also, Lily’s motors make noise. So other people will most likely notice Lily and quickly figure out where you are. You are better off climbing up a tree and using binoculars.

:rofl:

Ok, call me crazy, but I'm thinking about trying to budget for one of these before the pre-order period is up.

It's also got a pretty low top speed- but it might be enough for switchbacks or track days... or it might lose you...

Excellent first iteration platform though.

You know, honestly, since I don't really ride anymore I hadn't thought about using it for street.
It would certainly keep up with me on a run, or mountain bike ride, or heck even riding MX (I'm slow)

As I understand FAA rules, consumers flying autonomous drones is illegal.
Autonomous drone is airplane that flys itself without human control.

My guess is the fact that it has to be within 100ft from the tracking device, it won't fall under the autonomous category.

Actually the FAA just revised its rules to allow for unmanned aircraft. They haven't yet issued the text revision that permits autonomous flight but have articulated that it is acceptable as long as the human controller has line of sight and the ability to take control as necessary- Lily.Camera meets both of those requirements.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/aerial-robots/faa-proposed-commercial-drone-rules

https://twitter.com/jacknicas/status/567005836665708546

FAA official on media call: Autonomous flight is allowed if operator is in place to jump in if needed and drone is within sight.

That is awesome! I just saw the Soloshot a few weeks ago and was impressed. Lily trumps that easily, however, I would guess the solo shot is more in my budget.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaepW9-kK-c"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaepW9-kK-c[/ame]

There seems to be a natural tendency these days to assume that things unfamiliar must be illegal. Not a healthy sign for a citizenry which generally perceives itself to be free.

So I wonder what kind of collision detection/avoidance the Lily has? It would be real easy for it to get caught up in trees, power lines, buildings, etc,...

There seems to be a natural tendency these days to assume that things unfamiliar must be illegal. Not a healthy sign for a citizenry which generally perceives itself to be free.

Drones is nothing new. They've been around in the radio control model airplane community for many years. There were many dangerous antics performed by hobbiest shown on Youtube--like a drone flying into the flight path of a 747 coming in for landing. And in the old days, automous drones were all illegal unless you're doing university research under FAA license or the military. The danger is some of these things can be flown out of visual range. They make perfect cheap weapon for terrorist.

I guess times have changed. Now, looks like these small ones are allowed by FAA. But I think even small ones must be under manual control at all times. These completely autonomous ones...are they legal? What if one wonders off into restricted airspace due to software bug...and bring down a commercial airliner. :eek2: Or terrorist modifying it to fly autonomously into the targets.

Last edited:
So I wonder what kind of collision detection/avoidance the Lily has? It would be real easy for it to get caught up in trees, power lines, buildings, etc,...

At that cost, I'd guess none. Proximity sensors wouldn't have the range to get correction in time and radar would be a weight penalty. Just like flying RC, we knew where and where not to fly.

This will be sweet for ride reports on the road in interesting places

I think I'll start with Palenque, Mexico

This also would be great in southern Utah, western Colorado etc...:sun:

Neat idea. With longer battery life and higher speeds drones could revolutionize desert racing for spectators.

Of course the whole collision avoidance thing is an issue. Imagine 500 DS riders at the start of LAB2V and many of them pitching drones into the air to film the start or a rough section like Red Rocks.

Now someone needs to develop a way to launch and retrieve one from a motorcycle that's in motion, maybe charge it while it sit unused. Where's Rman and the 650L with the giant rack on the back?

Neat idea. With longer battery life and higher speeds drones could revolutionize desert racing for spectators.

Of course the whole collision avoidance thing is an issue. Imagine 500 DS riders at the start of LAB2V and many of them pitching drones into the air to film the start or a rough section like Red Rocks.

Now someone needs to develop a way to launch and retrieve one from a motorcycle that's in motion, maybe charge it while it sit unused. Where's Rman and the 650L with the giant rack on the back?

BMW's already have a mount for it next to the expresso dispenser

I saw it and all I could think of was Minority Report. Also Hail Skynet!!!!!

I have been riding BMW's for over 30 years and NOT ONE of them had a expresso attachment. Who at BMW do I contact to rectify this??? Would have been nice om my round the world ride....

Back