• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Nikon shooters - walkabout lens

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Tamez
I thought I could make my Fuji bridge cameras work for my applications but can't. I picked up a D3100 and D5100 for their replacements.
The D3100 came with the standard 18-55. Ok but nothing great.

Looking for a medium zoom that will be on the camera 75% of the time.
Open to Nikon, Tokina, Tamron, and Sigma in that order.

I saw the Nikon VR 16-85 and I'm leaning that way. One of the aftermarket 3 makes a 17-80 constant 2.8 and I like that as well. I'll eventually get another 80-200 2.8 but want something more standard now where the 18-55 will serve as a backup.

When I had the Canon gear, the Canon 28-105 was on it the most so I'm looking for something like that. So what is on your camera body the most??

Sharkey,

I have the 24-120mm f/4 and love it. It is a FX lens but will work fine on your bodies.

I have no experience with the newest version of the 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6 DX but have read positive things about it.

I do not recommend the older version of the 18-200 DX.

Thanks. I will check those out. The 24-120 might be exactly what I am looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, my 24-70 f/2.8 is without doubt my workhorse.

For about $500 used, you can find a copy of the 18-200 which is nicknamed the "walkabout" lens. Not great in low light with a variable f/stop, but pretty darn good results in most conditions.

As a professional photographer, I find myself using my Nikon 28-300 zoom lens as my workhorse. After carrying multiple lens around the world I like simplicity nowadays. My I-phone 6plus is also a much used camera. And as I often tell people who ask, it is not the camera but the eye behind it. Always.

Yeah, my 24-70 f/2.8 is without doubt my workhorse.

For about $500 used, you can find a copy of the 18-200 which is nicknamed the "walkabout" lens. Not great in low light with a variable f/stop, but pretty darn good results in most conditions.

I had the Tamron 28-70 2.8 and the Tokina 80-200 2.8 (I couldn't affore the L lenses) and both got used quite a bit.

I found a Tokina 50-150 2.8 on CL so if he still has it, I think I will go pick that up tomorrow.

Taking my Fuji camera to Ireland in a couple weeks and then it is going up for sale when we get back.

As a professional photographer, I find myself using my Nikon 28-300 zoom lens as my workhorse. After carrying multiple lens around the world I like simplicity nowadays. My I-phone 6plus is also a much used camera. And as I often tell people who ask, it is not the camera but the eye behind it. Always.

I guess they have come a long way because they are getting good reviews. The all in one zooms just never use to be that good. I can't get use to using my Iphone 6 as a camera hence my PnS. Maybe I'm just getting old. :mrgreen:

I've only got two lenses, the kit 18-140 and the 35mm f/1.8.
For if I don't want to carry a spare, the 18-140 goes on. 3.5-5, so it's not great in low light.

We can cross paths if you wanna play with it.

Back