• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

500+ Mile Test Drive

ddavis

Reaction score
First Name
David
Last Name
Davis
Here is a quick run down of the trip to Bartlesville, OK.
Bonnie and I left Greenville @ 3:30 pm Friday, March 5th and headed for Plano to pick up my dad's Honda Shaddow 1100 for a two up ride to pick up my dad's new Gold Wing from Bartlesville Cycle Sports. We chose to use his bike because, ours are set up for one up comfort and his is set up for two up touring. I'm not sure if a cruiser can really be classified like that but, it is a lot better than either one of ours. We left Plano @ around 4:30 pm. Although traffic was heavy untill we passed Mckinney, it wasn't too bad. We went north on hwy 75 to McAlester, OK. where we stopped for gas and food, as well as , a change into warmer clothes as the temperature dropped quickly. Once on the road again, I was determined to make it at least as far as Tulsa, before stopping for the night but, we got on the Indian Nation Turnpike and the time went very quick, about 80 mph to be precise! :angel: We saw a bobcat scatter out of our path at one point and I decided to slow down a bit. I'm not sure how well dad's cruiser works on cats. :mrgreen:

As we approached the Tulsa city limits, I had a renewed determination and decided, with approval from Bonnie of course, :-) that we would get through down town to the north before stopping so we didn't have so far to ride the next morning. The waking temperature was supposed to be below freezing and, I for one, and Bonnie too, don't like the cold, especially on a bike. We pressed on to the north side of Tulsa, where we found it to be devoid of any sort of civilization. I don't like to back track so, we continued on to Bartlesville, ariving at the Best Western @ 1:30 am.

The previous nights adventure, had us both feeling grateful that we pressed on, as it was cold! :eek: It was also nice to be able to relax and eat our free breakfast before, making our way to the dealer to pick up the new bike. If we had thought ahead, we would have gone and picked up the bike before checking out so, we wouldn't have to pack the bikes twice in an hour. :-|
Oh well, off to the Bike shop! :-D This dealer sells all makes and models! From Honda to Harley! I guess when your location is isolated like this one, you have the freedom to do your own will. After all the paper work and paying all the "undisclosed" costs, that my dad plans on appealing, Bonnie and I loaded up the new Gold Wing with all the stuff that was hanging off the back of the Shaddow, and we were off.

Wow, what power and handling that thing has! :bigokay: It feels so much more nimble than it looks! We stoped for gas before leaving town and, I had to call my dad, per his orders. :-| I asked him if he would mind if I took the scenic route home. :twisted: He said " sure, just be careful and call me when you stop." No problem, I said! :angel:

I took hwy 60 east towards Vinita, and then south on 69 towards Pryor. From there, we jumped over to 64 in Muskogee, then it turns into OK 2. If you have never been on OK 2, you should try it next time your going that way. Beautiful :dude: WE took 2, into Wilburton for lunch where, I let myself talk myself into taking OK 1, as long as I was in the area. Bonnie had never been to the Talimena Scenic Parkway, and I couldn't live with myself if I let this oppertunity pass. This is another must see for anyone who hasn't been there.

My first goof of the trip... The touring range of the wing is over 200 miles, where the Shaddow is 160 with a tail wind. We turned onto the parkway and I called Bon. on the radio. I just turned 130 mile on the tripp. and the lodge is 40 miles away, and Mena, AK. is another 20 to 30 past that for gas. :angryfir: I really don't like to back track! It was 11 miles back to Talihina, OK. and the gas. My bad! Luckily only 22 miles out of the way. It could have been worse. Back to the parkway! The Gold Wing is driving like a sports bike and I am trying to see how far I can push it, within my limits on the street anyway! We stopped about half way up for pics, then went on to the Queen Wilhemina Lodge, just over the border into Arkansas. We didn't have reservations because, we didn't know where we were going to be at this time. (5:30 pm) Luckily they had a room because, we were wore out! I called my dad, he was in Salado, TX. with Plano Honda Riders Club, and told him where I was. He wasn't expecting me to tell him Arkansas, so he repeated "Arkansas?" I could hear the laghter in the background from the club but, my dad didn't think it was that funny. I put the bikes to bed, we ate dinner and, passed out. :sleep:

Bonnie and I woke up early Sunday morning and went to eat beakfast. While she got ready, I went out to take the covers off the bikes, and unlock them. It was very cold and windy up on the ridge and I nearly lost one of the covers. I warned Bonnie to dress warm and after getting myself ready we took some more pics and headed off down the parkway the way we came. I would have gone back a different way but, I wanted to get back in time to wash the bikes and hopefully beat dad to the house!

We ran OK 1 to 2, and then south on hwy 271 just west of Hugo, OK. Then hwy 70, towards Durant, OK. This was the worst part of the weekend for me because, the cross winds were really bad on the wing. Bonnie didn't have as much trouble as me. She watched me get blown from one side of my lane to the other in a split second! :eek: She managed to brace herself against it, using me as a guide. When we got to Durant, OK. we were worn out, so we stopped for lunch. We sat for at least an hour and a half before we had the energy to continue.

We hopped on hwy 75 and made a run for home. We stopped at a car wash before going to dad's to knock the bugs off. When I pulled into the driveway and hit the garage door opener, I was shocked to see the car in the garage. My dad came out of the house, hobbling along with his walker, and I couldn't look him in the eye. I just kept unpacking the bike and throwing things in my car. This didn't help much and the next thing I knew, I was cleaning out his garage and explaining why I felt it necessary to break in his bike for over 500 miles. I was just trying to help! :angel:

I think he's over it now and, I had the best time ever! I think he may let me sit on it again someday but, I think I better not push the issue for a while. :lol:

Those are some pretty and very clean bikes! Need better closeups of you and the missus so we can check out yer mug :-P You know... face to name and all that :mrgreen:

Glad you had a great time. Has Pops gotten over you riding his bike everywhere yet? :lol:

Looks like I will be heading up to Tulsa soon to acquire a bike :twisted: To bad I won't have time to make a detour like yours!

Adios,

David, sounds like a great trip and a lot of fun to boot! Dad will get over it. Hey you were just doing him a favor, right? :lol:

I grew up in the area you rode thru. Born in DeQueen, lived in Mena for a while as a kid, in fact, right on hwy 88, up on the mountain, just east of the lodge a few miles. Then, I grew up in Tulsa, so I know the area. Been ridin those Ozark hills for 30 years.

Hwy 2 down to Wilburton is one of my favorite roads. GREAT road with big sweepers, yum. Next time you are in the area, make a point of stopping at Robber's Cave S.P. just north of Wilburton, it's very nice. Hwy 2 on south of Wilburton is really nice and worth the extra miles. Then 270 takes you into Wilburton and to the Talimena Drive. The "Talimena" is one of my fav roads in this universe. I've ridden it no less than 100 times, probably many more. When I die, I want my ashes scattered off of Sunset Vista. THAT's how much I love the "Talimena".

There are some wonderful roads to the East and North of Tulsa. Hwy 10 from Tahlequah to Kansas (OK), being very nice. Hwy 20 thru Spavinaw is also very nice all the way to the Arkansas border. And then, of course, you are in moto-heaven, Arkansas, the Ozarks. I've got a million suggestions from there. :chug:

Happy trails,

Back