• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TKC 80

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
You guys running this tire, what psi do you run when going on dirt roads and asphalt? I'm talking big bike. Running as manual suggests just seems high for dirt.

Also, what mileage to expect?

I'm thinking to put the Pirelli Scorpion on rear with the TKC 80 front when this one is done, thanks.

You guys running this tire, what psi do you run when going on dirt roads and asphalt? I'm talking big bike. Running as manual suggests just seems high for dirt.

Also, what mileage to expect?

I'm thinking to put the Pirelli Scorpion on rear with the TKC 80 front when this one is done, thanks.

Unfortunately a very soft-walled tire. I would not air down at all on any wider rim adventure bike, just having to guess at what you are running them on. These tires will be hard on rims if you hit anything hard. Actually I would not run them at all period, as they are just too soft of a side wall to run off road. Dirt roads are OK. If you want to run that type of tire, you would be better off with Kenda Big Blocks. Cheaper and performance/wear is as good.

I don't drop below 30# on my GS. The handling gain on a big bike is negligible vs bending a rim or breaking down the bead.

Haven't run the Pirelli Scorpion but looks like a good tire. I have run Michelin RP3s in Big Bend with no issues.

As for mileage on the 80s, 6k is the best I've done on the rear.

Last edited:
6k would be great, don't see that happening! lol
Thanks

Yeah, they don't last long, especially on asphalt with all the torque your right wrist can produce. :trust:

:tab I never run them lower than 25 psi, but usually keep them up higher around 30-35 psi depending on what kind of riding I am doing. I RARELY get more than 2500-3000 miles out of a rear and maybe 5K on the front. I ride them pretty hard, even on pavement. The last time I was in NC with my 1200, I toasted a rear after three hard days of riding dirt/pavement, maybe 1200 miles... Lifespan is VERY sensitive to how you ride them. For sand, they are hard to beat on the big bikes. I am running the K60s right now and they are decent in everything but sand, where they pretty much suck. I think the TKCs are even better than the K60 on pavement in terms of handling and grip. I've run the Tourances, Anakees, and Avon Distanzias. All are good tires for pavement and mild unpaved. Even with those, I rarely get more than 5K from a rear and maybe 7.5K from a front.

I got about 3k from a tkc on my 950 rear , front was good for 5k or so . I would run 25 or so for off road and 30 for extended high speed pavement . It was a little better than the scorpions off road but not good enough to buy another one . SEYA

2015 KTM 1190R

Nice. Look at the Kenda Big Blocks. Stiffer side walls and a better tire for the money than the TKC. My perspective is different than most I guess. Of course the TKC is going to be better than a 90% street tire like an Anakee. I still wouldn't consider a TKC to be anything better than a 50/50 tire, and I would never run it aired down on an 1190. Even if you run just dirt roads, an embedded rock, etc. will put a hurt on your front rim. Promise.

Last edited:
I run about 30 psi in the front for mixed riding. I've been running tourance rears or something similar but looking into trying the Mitas E07 rear next. - Seems like the longevity benefit of the K60 scout rear but without that center stripe.

I haven't had the GS on any serious dirt yet - beyond gravel roads/2-track stuff. Haven't felt the need to put a knobby on the back just to replace it in 2k miles.

TKC80 front handles better better than a K60 front in my opinion.

thumb_1434408775CHYN2067.JPG

K60 sidewalls are made of Iron - excellent rim protection. TKC is a softer sidewall for sure.

Last edited:
I ran several of both front and back of the Twinduro's on the KLR I had up until late last year. I found if I got below 18 on the front & 15 in the back was not good. The back didn't last long, like 3k or so, the front about 5k. Good tires though, I still have a front I'm saving in the garage.

A good person to ask would be slowoldguy, he's run a lot more of this tire than most I've met.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The big reason to me for running the TKC's is sand and deep gravel. Other than that, something like the K60 or any of the other more street oriented tires seem to work well. If you plan to do much riding in East Texas (East of I-45), plan on seeing some deep sand... West of I-45 is not as bad and is more dirt/gravel.

Of the various street oriented DS tires, I liked the Avon Distanzias the best on pavement. The K60s start getting squirmy when you push them in corners. The Tourance and Anakees cup on the front. I've not tried any of the most recent versions of those tires though so that might not be an issue any more.

Check with Dave "Ouroboros" and see what he's been running on his 1190.

From what I have read Continental recommends 28 psi front and rear for TKC 80s when used off-road on the 1190 R. I run 30 psi front and rear. Anything lower than 28 psi is asking for a bent rim. These rims are extremely malleable. Truing the wheels is an exercise in frustration since they are so distorted from the get go. Also take care in changing tires. The sealing strip and TPMS are easily damaged.

At the KTM rally last year, Jimmy Lewis talked about running 27 all the time. I adopted that and couldn't be happier. I sometimes get 3k out of a rear. My current rear will need replacement this month (I had a new TKC80 waiting).
If I run more than 30, the ride seems rough on the highway. Any lower and you risk overheating the tire.
The Conti guys at the rally adopted the 27 based in Jimmy's comment, but I'm sure the engineers have examined that number and applied a safety factor.

Last edited:
Back