• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I really don't know.....

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
....which way to try this off-road thing. :ponder:

I'll be the first to admit, I'm ok on a mountain bike but I don't really like the feeling my R1150GS has on anything other than pavement. Gravel kind of gives me the tremors, and I can't imagine mud or sand or loose stuff on the big bike. So I'm 100% convinced the GS will remain the 'road' bike.

So I've been looking at options and really narrowed it down to a few requirements which are still in flux.

1) I'd like to be able to pick the thing up more than a few times and not be totally spent. The GS I get one or two shots at it and I'm toast. So it's out. That means looking in the 200-350cc range for weight.

2) I "think" I'd like to be able to ride it to and from events (within reason). Otherwise, I'd get a hitch hauler, which again says it's gotta be fairly lightweight.

3) Riding it to/from events dictates street legal or a conversion to make it so

4) Electric start required

I've budgeted around $2k for this and my short list is:
a) Suzuki DR350SE
b) Kawasaki KLX250S (which would be a tough find at $2k)
c) Honda CRF230 (converted to street legal)
d) Kawasaki KLX400 (just a lot of them out on the road at RTB)

I've not ridden any of them, but the DR350SE has electric start and capable of highway as well as the KLX250S.

Please, enlighten me. RTB seemed like a lot of fun to have a little bike.

Last edited:
You're on the right track. For all the reasons you stated, I bought WoodButcher's DR650. Now I'm saving up to get a rig to pull the DR650 with the GSA. Something along the lines of this...

sam1522-l.jpg

Good luck with your research and looking forward to see what you find.
Subscribed:popcorn:

Pretty sure I saw a Sherpa for sale on here for less than 2K that fit the bill

2) I "think" I'd like to be able to ride it to and from events (within reason). Otherwise, I'd get a hitch hauler, which again says it's gotta be fairly lightweight.

Pretty sure I saw a Sherpa for sale on here for less than 2K that fit the bill

I noticed the Sherpa comes with a hitch hauler... ;-)

Before you do anything else, do Brad's dirt class...

Thanks for the input, and yes - I need to take Brads class next.

Where I really wrestle is with self-preservation vs perceived fun. I'm finally getting to the point where my knee is allowing me to return to run (albeit very slow/easy/short duration) I don't want to knock myself back after all the work I've put into it with rehab. But there is some alure to the dirty side that is like a moth to a light..... If that makes sense. :giveup:

I thought I had found a 620 Multistrada dark but in typical C list fashion.... blah blah blah. So I too am keeping an eye out. Lite and easy for my friends to pick up, can do sustain 55 60 mph.

+1. You wouldn't want to find yourself following someone down a sandy trail and get caught unprepared. :twitch:

No kidding...

BTW, I found this awesome 18 mile long stretch of road out in NM that I thought Deb might enjoy... No sand!! :trust:

P1080524.jpg

I vote DRZ400. Feels much lighter and more powerful than the DR350. NOt sure what the used market looks like on them right now though.

Is there a WEB link for these classes? What level do they cater for?

Gary

They are really for beginers in the dirt. I took it with my son and enjoyed it. He is on facebook. Here is a link to a thread here on TWT with his phone number. He lives near hidden falls and does them on an as needed basis mostly.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93463

He also does them at ghost ranch near Gatesville. He has one there coming soon.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106130

They are really for beginers in the dirt. I took it with my son and enjoyed it. He is on facebook. Here is a link to a thread here on TWT with his phone number. He lives near hidden falls and does them on an as needed basis mostly.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93463

He also does them at ghost ranch near Gatesville. He has one there coming soon.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106130

Hmmm, I'm good in the dirt... But I'd like to get good in the trails... :-|
Wish there were some intermediate classes.. All I know is the klx is a lot heavier on the trails (and in the sand) than the dirtbike ever was in the track... I guess I just need to practice practice practice... :flip:

Subscribing! I am in a similar boat when it comes to my dirt "skills". I have also been looking at a cheap dirt bike to help hone my abilities.

Hmmm, I'm good in the dirt... But I'd like to get good in the trails... :-|
Wish there were some intermediate classes.. All I know is the klx is a lot heavier on the trails (and in the sand) than the dirtbike ever was in the track... I guess I just need to practice practice practice... :flip:

It is good opportunity to have forced practice with a trained eye on you. You will find some of it to be things you know but you will learn something if you go with an open mind. There were three experienced riders when I took the class and we all learned from Brad.
You can also find some group rides with some good riders to give you pointers.

Last edited:
Back