• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Morning chores...

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
I have a friend of many years who is the ranch manager for a place off RR337 between Medina and Leakey in the heart of the hill country/gateway to the three sisters of RR337, RR335 and RR336. She has been gracious enough to invite me to the ranch several times now while affording me the opportunity to try and create various images without the light pollution of Austin.

She runs the ranch for the owner who lives in a major metropolitan area and rarely spends time at the ranch. Consisting of 150 acres, I followed her around on a single morning with my camera to see what all occurs in a typical day. The following is just one little part of the multitude of things she does - a time slice of sorts for a single morning.

The morning started out cloudy/overcast and did not improve. A stiff wind was present with the flags proudly displayed.
i-DD5mvSC-XL.jpg

This is Bert. Well, that's what she started to call him. He showed up about mid-September as a pile of skin and bones. He's been on the road quite a while. A traveling dog of sorts estimated to be six years old. Most probably some child's dog, given as a present, then grew up and the child lost interest. He has a sweet disposition and needs a forever home.
i-nZW233X-XL.jpg

This is one of many registered Angus on the ranch. They are of a specific blood line/lineage and are strictly for breeding purposes. I have learned one could not afford the cost of these to consume. They require daily attention for counting, checking status, and feeding. I could also not help myself staring at that wonderful Angus brisket out front.
i-TbhkqvP-XL.jpg

This is her primary mode of transportation. A four-wheel drive quad complete with panniers full of fencing tools, hoof tools, pliers, wire cutters and brush cutters. These are the tools she most frequently uses.
i-fgsT95r-XL.jpg

Running out to locate the Angus, one of several feeders sits idle at the moment. She regularly shoots feral hog each year and processes them in addition to white tail deer and axis deer. The coyotes are also ever-present and are most probably the prime reason for the feral cat population control. That and birds of prey. Yes - mother nature is a cruel beast indeed.
i-X9zSLjB-XL.jpg

The Angus hear the quad and recognize the sound along with her distinct, loud whistle. They come to the feed pen today. Some days, they are at the feed barn. But today, they are close to the pens. Protein supplements are provided by the bucketful.
i-RvthdhX-XL.jpg

One calf is missing - this is not good. We hop on the quad and start scouring every nook and cranny for the small one. At only 150 acres, this could take time. Within a few minutes, she is spotted, favoring her left front leg heavily. Again, not good. She is herded to the others through tall grass, bleating for her mother who left her. We hear her mother in the background.
i-m6Zfs2m-XL.jpg

Watching her gait, a determination is made the shoulder is fine, the elbow is fine and the bones are fine. This leaves only the hoof on first pass as the issue. Is it split? Is it splayed? What is the issue to cause such a noticeable gait issue? With some coaxing, she is placed in a chute and secured where a real assessment can take place. The calf is not pleased. Momma is not pleased with her calf in the chute. Her hoof is packed with mud and small rocks from the recent rains. The hoof is blatantly spread apart. A rock is most likely wedged in between. With a hard probe, the mud and debris is cleaned from the hoof. This is where my friend almost has her arm broken from a kick of the left rear leg. There is no other way to address the issue. I am amazed at the speed in which the kick unfolded. This is risky business for all involved.
i-ZHgVDj5-XL.jpg

The issue is believed to be resolved, the calf released to the company of the others.
i-fztCFSR-XL.jpg

The property has two donkeys, Peetie and Issac. They are both males. Issac is your friend. Peetie will just as soon kill you as pay you attention. I keep my distance. But distance is not meant to be had for my friend. Today is round two of their tetanus shots. Spaced two weeks apart, this is two of two.
i-GFxS8SZ-XL.jpg

The showdown begins with the pen gates closed eliminating escape by all three.
i-qMjJH26-XL.jpg

...and the syringe is prepared,
i-3fCjSCC-XL.jpg

...and successfully administered.
i-GHBp23k-XL.jpg

The donkeys are released, the Angus are fed and the time comes to move on to check the oak wilt injection syringes. Oak wilt has been found on the property and killed off several majestic examples. Her attempts to curb the disease are working, but there is much work required. Multiple injections on a continued basis are still needed. Three syringes are empty this trip which will be replenished and reinserted. Ball moss is also removed when possible leaving large piles which are then burned.
i-MkbPjVn-XL.jpg

We board the quad once again and continue our trek towards the back of the property.
i-jJ34TMj-XL.jpg

The Angus are not pleased we are chasing them once again but this time without food.
i-Pds7XBQ-XL.jpg

Fences are observed for holes from recent heavy rains. Rain gauges are checked and emptied. One point seven-five inches last night. A good night indeed yet more is needed. Water is the life blood for this place. No rain - no grass - no Angus.
i-tXQqhCB-XL.jpg

The stock ponds/swimming hole is in sad shape. Rain was significant all around the ranch, but not on top of the ranch. Floresville to the South, 15+ inches, Austin to the East, 16+ inches. One point seven-five is literally a drop in the bucket.
i-TXchprs-XL.jpg

We make our way to the back of the property to check the stock tanks, pumps and such. The Angus beat us there and all is good upon inspection.
i-D7QrnC2-XL.jpg

One of the many feral hogs dispatched on the ranch. A fitting resting place indeed. I make a note to myself as to why the buzzards have not removed the skull. I ponder the question yet forget to ask for a response.
i-jWFX9SM-XL.jpg

The back of the ranch is secure for the day. We make our way back to the front and check a barn door. A mix of old and new is observed.
i-MVWGK3r-XL.jpg

And with that, this mornings chores are now complete.

That was very interesting. Good looking cattle. I always like your pics.

Here are my thoughts:

The B&W makes it look a little lonely out there.
There's nothing worse than a wild eyed cow....except maybe a mean ole donkey.
Bert is a good looking dog.

Thanks for the comments, Jan. I chose B&W as it IS lonely out there and a lot more harsh than most would think - and on a continued basis as well. I've learned this is basically a 365/24/7 kind of job for her due to the cattle, and now dog. The horses were moved off not too long ago. The Donkeys? Pretty self-sufficient, yet they DO like their cookie treats every morning I have since learned.

Thanks. Enjoyed that. Used to work irrigation, horses & fenceline on my Uncle's place. And castration, and stacking square bales, and euthanizing, and..........

Bert looks like a border collie mix. He looks like a friendly fellow.

Very nice photo story and commentary. I enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing, Scott. :thumb:

A fine morning, indeed. Those feet can definitely fly when they want to!

Too many good dogs calling out to me at a bad time... Bert seems quite wonderful.

Great story and pics lots of romance but glad I decided to be a city boy.

And I can't even get motivated to empty the dishwasher:doh:

The cow "selfie" (for lack of a better term) made me chuckle. Always good stuff Scott.

neat write up and pictorial scott. i love cows....

as to the wild pig skull, ask her when you get a chance about the buzzards.
there was a dead wild pig on the side of the road up here. i passed it several times in a couple weeks span, and it turned into a giant black ball of bloat. the buzzards didn't touch it and i thought it interesting.

Great story and pictures. I always enjoy your picture stories.

+1 great pic series

I think I could give up my "smart phone" in a heartbeat, along with my city job. Unfortunately, life and finances at this stage don't afford me the luxury of testing my interest in cattle ranching as a way of life. Tonight, I was worming my 11 chickens in the dark with a headlamp on. I guess I'm a chicken wrangler. :lol2:

Even though we're not isolated by any stretch, we are 20 min from any town with a sizable grocery. I do love the space even my measly 3 acres gives me and the cycles of life I'm more able to be in tune with now.

Last edited:
Scott, I am really glad for you and Tina. She looks like a great cowgirl and pretty strong too. Maybe you can bring her to a pie run some day if she can break away from her duties for a little in Medina.

The pictures brings back memories of working on a ranch many years ago during the summer. I like the b&w processing. It adds a earthy or rustic feel to it. Perhaps a warm sepia filter might enhance that "old time" look as well?

RB

Wowzer, thank you all for the kind words on the 'story' behind the pictures. I'm working on developing a series of "Working Women" and this is the first installment. Several others are in the works.

Fred - highly doubt Tina will be attending any motorcycle events. We're just good friends from way back and she has been gracious to allow me to capture via images what she does on a daily basis.

Really enjoyed the read and great photos Scott! Seemed like you had a marvelous time!

To me, it was as if I was looking in a mirror. Great for her!:clap:

724525e9c8b744b48ab2e87b37a98904.jpg
here's a buzzard group in Bandera. They were actually looking at me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great pictures and story and make you realize how much work is done in a ranch.

i-GFxS8SZ-XL.jpg

Sad news to report.....

Petey, the little white donkey has been under the weather the past week or so. He's been a snot-fest for a week or so and lost weight/quit eating for the most part. Thinking allergies as the snot-fest was pretty extensive, but looking at a possible infection - antibiotics started yesterday and he looked like he was making a turn for the better. He was penned up today, but got out through a gap, wandered down to the stock pond and was found this afternoon drowned in the tank. Sad.... Very Very Sad. As much as he wanted to kill you as love on you, he will be missed by a bunch of people in addition to his sidekick Issac (the big brown donkey) who now has nobody to hang out with under the trees.

RIP Petey

Back