• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Off-Road Riding Gear

Reaction score
Another noob question thread...

Now that I got a bike, it's time to gear up. I'm clueless as to what is appropriate, other than what I see in mags and online. Being an ATGATT road rider and having a closet full of road gear, I'm a bit puzzled by the rather "skimpy" attire on most off-roaders. The baggy pants and jerseys just don't seem all that protective - relative to the typical road gear with CE-approved armor pieces "lock in" where they are meant to protect.

Sorry if I sound dismissive. That is not my intent. I am guessing there are genuinely good reasons for off-road gear being how they are. I'm new to the sport and am just trying to make sense of it all and figure out how I am supposed to gear up for:

1. Forest riding
2. Dual sport riding, mix of street but mostly dirt

Helmet and boots are a given. Should I add external armor and neck brace on top of jersey and pants? Why do the gloves look like they are for gardening? :confused:

Skimpy = Cool, as in temperature. Plus dirt = no road rash. And your average speed, unless desert racing, is typically <30 mph, and frequently, <15 mph. However, your gear selection may vary with anticipated road time.

There are plenty of options and a myriad of opinions. Just Google "adventure ride" or "dual sport gear" and take yer pick.

Most of the time, the armor is under the jersey and pants.

Not long ago, gear was either for dirt or street and there wasn't much crossover. That has changed a lot just in the last ten years or so. I now have one set of gear that I wear for both street and dual sport. But, it might be a bit much for full on dirt bike riding, like single track trails in the woods.

I have the KLIM Badland Pro jacket and pants. It works well in temps from the high 20s up to the 110 F range. I actually find it more comfortable on hot days than my mesh gear. It is Gore-Tex so there is no messing with liners or over suits. If it gets wet or cold, I just close the vents and keep going. I really like the suit, but it is pricey up front. However, I plan on wearing it for a good 7-8 years at least.

There are all manner of good jackets or armored over skins now. The latter will be a mesh suit with armor all over the place. This is what would typically be worn under a jersey. They are definitely cooler than a full blown street biased jacket. For a long time, I just wore a Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket. I later switched to a Firstgear Kilamanjaro jacket for the weather proofing, but that did not survive a street accident. After that accident, I got the Motoport AirMesh II Kevlar suit. This stuff is great for protection. It has armor all over the place. I had mine custom sized with some additional custom features. All up I think it was around $1100. I crash tested it numerous times, including hitting a deer and being slammed to the ground at 40mph or so. Not a scratch on me, but my left ankle broke because I had on my street boots instead of my dirt boots. I still have it and wear it sometimes instead of the KLIM if I am not worried about weather issues. It looks crazy bulky, but when riding, I never even notice it. It is quite comfortable.

Pants for dirt only usually have no armor at all. In fact, they usually don't even have any serious abrasion protection. They are just pants. This is why you will often see armored shorts or leggings. These are worn under the pants. This is pretty much the only way you will get any hip protection. Even a lot of street gear lacks good hip protection. That was one of the custom additions I added to the Motoport stuff.

Speaking of boots... You can either go with a full blown dirt boot that offers maximum protection all the way to a full on street boot. The big difference will be the ankle/shin protection. Dirt boots tend to only allow the ankle to move up/down, and not side/side. This is a BIG deal. The only drawback I see is that they are less comfy for walking. On the bike, it is a non issue to me. I have the SIDI Adventure Gore-Tex boots. They are VERY comfy right out of the box. I've tested them several times in scenarios where they kept my feet uninjured despite the presence of rocks and the full weight of the bike on them. They could use a steel cover over the toe though just to protect the leather. They are 100% water proof unless it comes in over the top of the boot. Again, pricey, but well worth it. My SIDI dirt boots are 11 years old and still perfectly good. They just aren't water proof.

Helmets are no biggie. Just find one you like and run with it. I wore a Shoei RF1100 for a long time. Then I got a dirt bike helmet with the goggles and wore that for a few years. I now have the ARAI XD-4 DS helmet. I love it with two exceptions. There is no quick release for the face shield. Mine sometimes has an annoying boiling tea kettle whistle. Most of the time, neither of those are serious issues. It is very comfortable. I find that I never wear goggles with it, but I am usually leading the rides so dust is not as big an issue for me as it would be for those behind me.

Can't speak for forest riding, but for DS riding, just wear your normal nylon or mesh street gear while you get familiar with the sport. I'll enthusiastically second the XD4 and the Sidi Adventures. Both top grade pieces of equipment that I wear on every ride.

Most of the time, the armor is under the jersey and pants.

Bingo!!!

If you look at what I wear after I get dressed, then you won't see any of the padding. For me I have rigid knee/shin guards that tuck into my boots so there is no way something can pop me in the shin. I have hip pads in the sides of the pants, and full length elbow/forearm guards that are under my jersey. I don't wear shoulder or back armor, but used to when I was racing. Now for just trail putting, I stick to what I have mentioned above. And of course, true off-road boots, helmet, goggles, and gloves are along for every ride as well.

My one piece of advice, don't skimp on boots. They can and will save your ankles.

All I wear for dirt roads is mesh and FINALLY found an old pair of ATV boots at a yard sale that actually fit. Just like dirt boots but traction soles instead of smooth because one does not corner with one's foot on the ground on ATVs. Much better for padding along at my typical slow speeds. Nice $10 investment.

Plain Bell MX helmet and googles are cheap and work fine for me.

Seems the most commonly injured body parts off road requiring emergency room care are lower legs. Start with a good pair of boots, then add shin and knee protection. Lots of riders wear knee braces and swear by them.

With advancing age I'm considering investing in dirt armor head to toe and removing the armor from some inexpensive mesh for road rash protection. Maybe I just worry too much.

As mentioned, decent helmet goggles & gloves. And for serious dirt riding definitely get good boots that are both tall & tough. Then as a minimum go with a knee/shin guard combo unit. Save your self from a bunch of unnessecary dings and bruises. I just tuck the bottom 2-3" of the shin guard into the front of my MX boots. That gives me non stop impact protection from toe to thigh when seated on the bike. If I am actually racing, I also go with a chest protector, and maybe some elbow guards too if the course has lots of gnarly rock sections.

High quality knee protection is essential as well. Knees are hard to repair well.

Thanks for the advice and explanations.

So that's why they are so baggy... to accommodate the armor underneath. I often wear Fox Titan sport knee/shin guards under jeans for commuting. With riding boots and 3/4 length jacket covering either end, I am actually quite well protected.

I'll start looking for a set of mesh under armor.

In the forest, I'm usually wearing some Fox Comp 5 boots, Fox Titan Pro knee guards, and a Fox Titan sport jacket. I really like the quality of the Fox gear. I don't wear a jersey on top unless it's cold or muddy. I have some Shift Recon Over The Boot (OTB) pants. The OTB pants really help to keep water and mud out of your boots if it's wet out. I have a DS helmet, but I much prefer to run a set of goggles due to fogging of the shield and lack of air flow with the shield down.

Of all these things, I wouldn't ride without any of them on the trail. On the street I would run my regular street gear.

January of last year when I first started riding off road (with 18 years of road experience) I was wearing my road boots and smashed my left foot between the peg and a large root ball at speed. The street boots did almost nothing to protect my foot from the impact. I thought it was broke. Two xrays later and several ortho visits and it's not broken, but I'd torn a bunch of ligaments. I walked with a limp for about 6 months. I couldn't ride for 4 of those.

The day after the accident I walked into the local cycle gear and dropped the cash on those Comp 5's and I would have spent more than twice that to be able to go back and have them the day before. I've taken hits with these Fox boots that I can feel but they are just so much more stout it makes you really wonder if your street boots are going to protect your feet at all in even a street wreck. Your feet are one of the first things you put down when you are trying to stabilize yourself on a trail. Boots are one of the first things I would buy.

On the other hand, I've also hit my knee hard and a forearm which is why I wear the other gear. Putting along with the kids in first gear, I'd just wear jeans and a good boot with the laces tucked in. Any kind of speed though and you should just have everything.

Good boots are right up there with a helmet as important protection goes. Your feet and legs take an awful lot of abuse dealing with trail side nasties. I don't think you can over-do feet/leg protection. Generally be careful with getting gear aimed at the MX sport. Gloves are a good example. MX gloves look like they're made for gardening. Offroad gloves will be armored... and it won't take much riding to figure out why. Mesh armor is good around here. The saying goes that if temp is comfortable while your getting ready then it's sure to be way too hot out on the trail.

Truthfully, pretty much everything I use was seen while riding with other folks. We have some very experienced and smart riders in this outfit. Just tag along on a few rides and you'll noticed how things need to be.

Jeans get wet and stay wet. When wet they are cold and heavy. Or they are hot and heavy. Then they start working on the area where you sit. It is not pleasant on a long ride and two or three days afterward. Go to a site like Rocky Mountain ATV and look at gear that fits your needs. Also, bicycle type shorts have a definite place in your gear bag.

As mentioned, decent helmet goggles & gloves. And for serious dirt riding definitely get good boots that are both tall & tough. Then as a minimum go with a knee/shin guard combo unit. Save your self from a bunch of unnessecary dings and bruises. I just tuck the bottom 2-3" of the shin guard into the front of my MX boots. That gives me non stop impact protection from toe to thigh when seated on the bike. If I am actually racing, I also go with a chest protector, and maybe some elbow guards too if the course has lots of gnarly rock sections.

Donnie knows guys!!!! He's tested every piece of protective gear you can own 10 times over.

Back