• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend

Reaction score
I'm wanting to make a trip to Big bend this winter. I ride a ktm 500 with the stock tank. I can do 80 to 90 miles between fuel stops. Looking for information about the area, routes, areas to camp or hotels to stay at and ride out of, and do's and don'ts from others who have ridden the area with limited fuel capacity. Thanks

Get a larger tank for Big Bend, you won't regret it.

Seriously, what he said. Unless you plan to stick primarily to the freeways that range is going to be difficult to deal with. I had problems with a stock XR400 with a lot more range than that.

If you are careful, you can ride most of the major areas in Big Bend with a 90-100 mile range. Sure you might need to top off when you have only ridden 20 miles, but that is the cost of a limited range on your bike. I rode around down there on my WR450 with a stock tank (90-100 miles), and never ran out of fuel. I topped off one time from a buddy only when we were out in the back of the ranch and I didn't know if I had enough to make it back, but I never ran it dry to see if I could make it back or not.

There are fuel stops at Panther Junction, and Rio Grande village so you should be able to plan routes to accommodate your range.

I ride in Big Bend National Park a couple of times a year. Just got back Monday, 11/09/15. The above post are correct as to where gas is available, but if you miss one of them you are pushing your bike (not a good place to have to push).

River Road through the park is about 60 miles, but it's 40 miles from Study Butte, 30 miles from Panther Junction, and about 20 miles from Rio Grande Village. Sounds like your bike has the range to ride it, but with zero margin for error. River Road is about the most technical road in the park, but well worth the ride.

Big Bend State Park is located between Lajitas and Presidio off of FM 170 (also called River Road, but it it the paved one and a great riding road). I have not ridden there for a number of years. At one time they had restricted motorcycles from entry. Don't know if you can ride in that Park or not.

As for riding the slab (I-10) to get to Big Bend, it is 103 miles between Ozona and Ft. Stockton. I would not ride your bike at the 80 MPH on I-10; even at 70 the big trucks will just about blow you off the road. And at 70 you probably won't get 90 mile to a tank of gas.

As for where to stay; Big Bend Motor Lodge in Study Butte had rooms for $89/night two weeks ago. The Eldorado in Terlingua Ghost Town is about the same quality and rooms there are about the same price. Lajitas has very nice accommodations, but I can't afford them. The golf course there is fantastic, and over $100 for a round.

Oh, get a bigger tank.

Hope this help. If you have never ridden that area go do it...

Later, Bud...
http://www.budstriptocabo.wordpress.com

I topped off at Rio Grande Village, headed up Old Ore Road, hit 385 then across Terlingua Ranch to 118. By the time I got to 118 I was on reserve and on fumes by Study Butte.

Rotopax will be your friend.

And as Bud said "If you have never ridden that area go do it... "

Thanks for the info fellas. I am on a drz.
sperryhonda Going to do it over Christmas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've ridden all over with the stock DR tank which is good for ~115 miles but have to plan my rides where I get back on pavement close to Panther junction or RGV before hitting the dirt again. One ride I did run out just as I hit the pavement off Old Maverick, headed back to Study Butte, lucky I had 2L stowed that got me back on my way.

Have an IMS 4.9G headed to the house for this years trip so won't have to be so particular on the routing now.

I appreciate all the responses. It sounds like most people stay around the Study Butte, Terlingua area and ride into the park. Are there options to trailer into the park and ride out of a central location? What are the actual dates folks are planning to ride around Christmas. I may try and tag along if not a problem.

I'm wanting to make a trip to Big bend this winter. I ride a ktm 500 with the stock tank. I can do 80 to 90 miles between fuel stops. Looking for information about the area, routes, areas to camp or hotels to stay at and ride out of, and do's and don'ts from others who have ridden the area with limited fuel capacity. Thanks

The%20Wild%20Bunch%202015%20162-XL.jpg

This is your new KTM 500.

Just add the Acerbis 5.5

PM me for the other mods.

You will rule Big Bend and Mexico with those mods.

You're welcome

If you're looking at an option for just a gallon extra, don't change tanks, carry a Rotopax or a Fuel Bladder.

Was just there last week on the mighty KLR 685. 3rd trip in the last 12 months out there. 6.1 gallon stock tank was plenty. So if you can find one to ride with, use it as portable tanker ;).

Don't forget Rio Grande Village. It was open for fuel also as well as Panther junction and the Big Bend resort and adventures in Study Butte.

The big bend resort in Study butte also sets up tents with two cotta and two chairs and two lanterns with a bbq pit and electricity and water with bathrooms/showers a stones throw away. And the Big Bend cafe is also there. Free coffee in the office :)

One of the best and easiest ways to travel light to BB. Hth

Just came back also from about four glorious days of dual-sporting and some light hiking...the road to the Chisos Lodge can be seen at the bottom right of the picture.

312vimc.jpg

Last edited:
More range than what you have is going to take the stress away. When I had a stock tank on my XR I hit reserve one time about 44 miles from Study Butte. No problem as I had a good 35 miles of reserve. Ooops. I had to go very slow and cut the engine on downhill stretches to make it. Rolled over Bee Mountain and ran dry within coasting range of the gas station. If you don't get squared away with extra gas I have a Rotopax I can loan out while you are in my neighborhood.

As for riding the dirt in the national park, my favorite for variety is Old Ore Rd, while my favorite for difficulty is Black Gap. River Road is a wonderful 50 plus mile dirt cruise. Stringing River together with Old Maverick as a warmup will put you at the edge of your current range for sure. I will probably be on my tanker KLR this season, so if we ride together I could spare a gallon in a pinch. My oversize Marine Corps tank is rated for seven gallons, but I think it actually holds more than that.

One thing to consider is that everything out here is farther apart than it seems when looking at the map. It is 90 miles one way from my driveway to the grocery store.

Last edited:
I appreciate the offer for fuel and tagging along. I am planning to be there and ready to ride on the 27th.

I just ordered a 3.1 gallon tank, which gives me almost a gallon more. I didn't want to go bigger because i ride a lot of single track off road as well and really didn't want a bigger tank and more added weight. I should have a 90 to 100 mile range.

Ride with a buddy. Take lots of water and remember that you're hours from Morphine if you wreck. Ill be out there in two days!!:rider:

I was out there with mr-roboto and the crew this past weekend. I have a stock tank on my CRF250L which gives me a solid 130 miles and a puckered 145. I still carried a 1.75G rotopax to make sure I had a 200+ mile range. I probably worried way too much about it, but just didn't want to be "that guy". I never used it - came home with it full, but I don't think I'll ever leave it behind when riding out there until I put an aftermarket tank on that bike. I'm also spoiled by my GSAs "ride until sometime next week" range and hate the feeling of being close to empty.

In addition to gas, please make sure you have plenty of water, snacks (your trip might take longer than you think!) and a first aid kit ( just in case). Also, RESPECT the land, especially inside the National and State park. There's a great off road trip - enter at Gate 9 and you'll wind up at the Lodge. Have lunch there. It's a fantastic ride - and you won't regret it. Gate 9 entrance is off 118 S. about 10 miles north of Study Butte. Be respectful of your speed when coming into areas with homes. Otherwise - enjoy at full throttle when possible!! Make sure to see Ament Lake. It has water now! Lastly, be respectful of all wildlife and don't go off-road. Enjoy!!

Got the new tank and 14 tooth front sprocket today. Gonna start prep this weekend. On another note, how's the weather in late December. I'll be tent camping unless I get a room.

It is usually pretty dang nice. Some years we get cold overnight but usually the days are warm and sunny. A good pad and sleeping bag served me well for a few Decembers before I moved here. Several others are tent camping at the Big Bend Resort and Motel otherwise known as the gas station.

Back