• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TRH/ODODB work day SHNF BIG LOOP again 12/27/15 Sunday

Buelligan

Inactive Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Faulk
Well, we're giving all you over weight dirt bike riders a chance to get back a little shape other than round! We will be working the BIG LOOP in the SHNF Sunday 12/27/15 and clearing trails there to help us regain our lost riding area and give you the opportunity to get you health and figure back after the holidays. Know a bunch of you TWT ate way too many carbs during the holidays so we are giving you a chance to work them off and be in the beautiful SHNF at the same time. We don't schedule these things that often to give you guys the chance to work off the carbs without having to go to some crowded gym somewhere, but thought we would HELP YOU in a much nicer environment like the forest to do this. You are more than welcome to bring the GF or wife if she needs the help too.

Merry Christmas TWT........

I'm sorry, can't make this one. Saturday would have been great, Sunday is Church day for me. I'll catch the next one as usual.

So do you walk the trails with tools in hand, ride the bikes with tools on the bikes, or ride ATVs with tools? What tools are even needed, other than maybe the chain saw (if you are approved for it)?

Like Rob, Sundays are not good for me.

I've been wanting to get out there and bring my kids to do some work and then maybe let them try their hand at riding. They've never ridden there yet.

So do you walk the trails with tools in hand, ride the bikes with tools on the bikes, or ride ATVs with tools? What tools are even needed, other than maybe the chain saw (if you are approved for it)?

Like Rob, Sundays are not good for me.

I've been wanting to get out there and bring my kids to do some work and then maybe let them try their hand at riding. They've never ridden there yet.

Chain saw is only for certified by forest service users. Most of the time you can walk in with tools and work a section. I took bike last time and it was really a pain working a 1/4 mile, walk back to bike, catch up. And repeat. I'll drive to a section next time! As far as quad goes, they work well, but there again, forest service requires that you have a safety certification sticker verifying you took atv safety class from your home county!

How do you drive to a section?

Does ANYONE in the forest service do anything at all to maintain the trails!? I thought that is what the annual fee for riding the trails and the daily fees at each trail head were supposed to cover? (Not too mention all the federal taxes we pay...).

Does ANYONE in the forest service do anything at all to maintain the trails!? I thought that is what the annual fee for riding the trails and the daily fees at each trail head were supposed to cover? (Not too mention all the federal taxes we pay...).
come-on-man_o_1094311_zps8b08986c.jpg

LOL.

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

Scott, the FS budget & personal in Sam Houston has been cut to below bare bones over the last few years. They have one person in the recreation department to over see ALL recreation. He does do things that volunteers cannot do like remove hazardous trees, erosion, etc. If a trail(s) is not up to FS standards, the trail is closed. There is a supervisor in Lufkin that would like the trails to be closed, because, it is less problems. We are very lucky in our FS district to have people that are on our side.

With out the Sam Houston Trails Coalition volunteers the trails would be closed. The volunteers average around 2,000 hours a year on the ORV, hiking & mountain bike trails. Over 1,200 trees were cleared from the trails.

You can ride down the trail carrying tools, park, walk a 1/4 mile doing maintenance, walk back 1/4 mile to your bike. Repeat. Or walk & maintain & walk back; it is the same amount of walking. Then ride your bike out & back to see if you missed anything.

The motorcycle community has stepped up the last couple of years to get involved in the coalition. THANKS TO ALL THAT HAVE! For those that have NOT; we can never have to much help.

It`s just aggravating that money is taken away from things like this and spent on , well I`ll just keep my mouth shut :headbang:

I'll just say one thing here, every time we as dirt bike riders don't get involved in our riding areas, the US Gov will eventually take it away. Trails Coalition is involved! You should be too! And for those of you who don't live close to the SHNF but ride it occasionally, they could be looking at your areas too. Don't think we can't loose it all, cause it could happen if YOU don't want to get involved and take the time to save it.

Blah, blah, blah, I know, I use to think like that too till Angelina and some of Big Bend creeks went away. And years ago, we use to ride every where in the SHNF we could get to, now we are lucky to have the trails we have left. Just a thought for those that think....

What time is the meet up and where? I've only ridden there once with some ODODB's, so I'll need some guidance.

I'll have to see if I can make Sunday work.

So, that 8 am start is a shade early... I'm just about 3 hours away. If I can convince the wife is it cool to show up late?

So far, we've driven trucks, 4 wheelers down forest roads to a trail intersection and then walk/work the trail to the next intersection. The crew usually has a couple guys with a chainsaw and a couple of us with loppers. *Machetes look cool and are great exercise but are pretty much useless for clearing trail. The majority of stuff is youpon, sweetgum and some blackberry vines (they're the worst). So much of it is just small regrowth less than 1" diameter. When we find a blow-down across the trail then the saw hands get busy and the rest help roll pieces off the trail. Every time I've gone we had enough folks to make the work quick and easy. Larry always has maps and coordinates the crews across an entire trail so that everybody does a little and nobody has to do a lot. For me, it's going for a pleasant short hike in the forest and lopping stuff as I go along. Actually very enjoyable. Come join us.

Sounds like a weedeater with a circular saw blade would be ideal for the vegetation you are describing RG . :shrug:

Sounds like a weedeater with a circular saw blade would be ideal for the vegetation you are describing RG . :shrug:

Yep, as long as you're certified to use it out there by the SHNF.

FYI TWT----The Big Loop will end up being the fastest section of trail in the SHNF IF we get enough help to get it open. There is still lots of face slappers and grass on this trail because it's been closed for over 4 years and mother nature has a way of reclaiming what she thinks is hers, but we did cut out over 100 fallen trees in the last few weeks. BUT there is still a bridge to get built or this trail will never reopen. This will take lots of volunteers because unlike most people think, these things do not just magically happen. It takes lots of man power to move all the material needed to build a bridge in the middle of the forest with no roads, just trails to get it there. If this bridge doesn't get built in mid January while Trails Unlimited is available, this trail stays closed another year and all the hard work we have already put in is for nothing. So if you'd like to see this open this year, please be at the volunteer work day the next time, cause this is the one that will get it open or keep it closed. Just an FYI if you'd like to see more good trails in the SHNF.

Good thoughts, I appreciate that.

For those of us outside the area that would be interested in lending a hand it would be helpful if there were responses to questions.

Mainly, a meet up point and time that is reasonable for us driving a few hours to come help. It does no one good for many of us to hit the road at 4 or 5 a.m. to get there at 8 a.m. and risk everyone on the road's life at the same time.

Good thoughts, I appreciate that.

For those of us outside the area that would be interested in lending a hand it would be helpful if there were responses to questions.

Mainly, a meet up point and time that is reasonable for us driving a few hours to come help. It does no one good for many of us to hit the road at 4 or 5 a.m. to get there at 8 a.m. and risk everyone on the road's life at the same time.

There are ways to accommodate the out of town riders.
We can e-mail you maps on where to go on the trail system that need work.

I know Buelligan has been on the soap box about getting help.
We have core group of guys and gals that show up for ALL the work days.
The more people we have show up, the more volunteer hours we get to turn in. These hours turn into grant money and shows the Feds that we have people that care about the trail system.

If you have the time, please come out and volunteer.
We can't afford to loose our trails.:rider:

Back