• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KLR woes

Reaction score
The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Giesecke
So, a while back, the front inner tube just rips at the valve. I had a tube ordered from motorcycle superstore, a month or so and they send me a e-m saying they refunded my money. :doh: I was goose hunting over near Victoria (60 miles away) and went in to Victoria after the hunt, north side, didn't have to worry about Navarro traffic, and bought a tube at the Yamaha shop. I installed it the other day, but the battery was flat. I know it was getting old and figured sitting that long would finish it off. It's been 4 years. So, today we had to attend the funeral of a lady we went to church with in El Campo (40 miles away), stopped and got a battery at Autozone because I was too lazy to walk through Walmart all the way to the back. I got home and started messing with it. The friggin' bolt NEVER EVER REACHES THE NUT on the battery post!!!!!!:angryfire So, after pressure from the phillips head pushed the terminal into the battery ...:headbang:...I put paper under the nut (old trick) and got it going. Been sitting so long, took a while to start.

The idle circuit on the carb had been plugged. Treatment with Seafoam (a marvelous invention) had got it acting better. But sitting with Seafoam for another month, the thing ran like a new motorcycle. I ran it down the road breaking the rear loose easily through three gears (dirt/gravel, but fun), brought it back noticing my speedo wasn't working. The cable isn't broken, so obviously I didn't get the drive on the hub back right. I don't know if I lost something out of there or what, but I was going to set it back on the jack stand and pull the wheel again and investigate when THE FRIGGIN' CLUTCH CABLE BROKE!!!!! :giveup:

Oh, well, I'll mess with the front wheel while my Bike Bandit (an aptly named business) clutch cable order processes. Victoria is the nearest Kawasaki shop, the price of living in paradise, I suppose. Guess I've totally missed the good riding weather. It's supposed to turn to crud in a few days. My license plate is due this month. Oh, well, I'll get it sooner or later. I live on a private road and rarely get on the highway, but I still need to keep it legal for when I do get the urge. :lol2:

Well, it's Christmas Eve Eve, and you're a grouchy old fart. What makes you any different from the rest of us? Kick back in a comfy spot, make a plan based on your plethora of experience, and execute in the morning. You'll be up and running in no time. :rider:

HI! Jack! Good to hear from you! I guess bad news is better than no news! :giveup:

Got rid of my 2008 Klr. :-P Not a good year for them. All the turn signals fell off. Mufflers fell off etc.

Hope things get better and God bless, Merry Christmas and a better New Year!:rider:

HI! Jack! Good to hear from you! I guess bad news is better than no news! :giveup:

Got rid of my 2008 Klr. :-P Not a good year for them. All the turn signals fell off. Mufflers fell off etc.

Hope things get better and God bless, Merry Christmas and a better New Year!:rider:

Hey, Rob! Yeah, my turn signals gave up the ghost, but everything else is in reasonable shape. I keep the thing inside a shed and never was the poor thing. It's the only bike I have, now, and the most reasonable as it's a chore getting down this road 2 miles to the highway on anything else. :lol2: The KLR can fly down it, though. I passed a guy on a Harley one day, was paranoid, had his feet out, puttin' about 5 MPH. I passed him doing about 45 and waved. :rofl: Had another guy come out on a newer GoldWing. I took him to my house in Port Lavaca, he was interested in buying. I've since sold it, he missed out. But, when we got back, he said he needed to get to the highway before the rain that was coming since he barely made it down here when it was dry. :rofl:

I'll mess with the speedo drive while I await my clutch cable delivery. I just put something back together wrong, I'm sure. Clutch cable on the thing is easy, don't have to remove any covers to mess with it.

Cut a half inch or so off the battery (or other) drain tube and put it under each battery terminal. Makes it loads easier than chasing that nut that falls out.

Sorry for the size, it's not my image.
maxresdefault.jpg

Some of the batteries I have bought come with new screws and nuts and little pieces of foam to stick under the nuts to lift them like the tubing in the pic above.

Well, it's Christmas Eve Eve, and you're a grouchy old fart. What makes you any different from the rest of us? Kick back in a comfy spot, make a plan based on your plethora of experience, and execute in the morning. You'll be up and running in no time. :rider:

"you're a grouchy old fart." You know Jack.

We miss you. I'm still racing. Come to a Katy race and I'll buy you a pizza dinner. Good times, good memories.

Sounds like the dog in your front hub didn't line up well with the rest of that speedo cable gearing. I manage to do this about half the time when going back on with the front rim. If it's bent (probably) just take it out and hammer it flat. KLR's love it when you hammer on them.

... KLR's love it when you hammer on them.

That's good. I put aluminum hand guards on mine yesterday and had to beat the dickens out of them to bend 'em and get 'em to fit. Beat to fit paint to match.

I'll mess with the speedo drive while I await my clutch cable delivery. I just put something back together wrong, I'm sure. Clutch cable on the thing is easy, don't have to remove any covers to mess with it.

There's the plan! Keep us posted.

Sounds like the dog in your front hub didn't line up well with the rest of that speedo cable gearing. I manage to do this about half the time when going back on with the front rim. If it's bent (probably) just take it out and hammer it flat. KLR's love it when you hammer on them.

Dogs should not be hammered. That's cruelty to critters. Kat Loving Retards, on the other hand, do get really excited when hammered. Mine hit 3 cats but I don't think any of them enjoyed their relationships.

Well, I put the new clutch cable in today, took the wheel off again. There is no drive plate/dogs in the hub, musta fell out somewhere probably in the grass, but I can't find it. See, this is where I miss my concrete floor workshop. :rolleyes: I put it all back together and can ride it. The up side is the part is under 9 bucks on Bike Bandit. I think I'll wait, though. We're going to Victoria mid month and I can stop by the Kawasaki place there. If they don't have it in stock, I guess I'll order it from Bike Bandit. But, it's not really a hurry.

I might go drag a small magnet around in the grass. Haven't tried that, yet.

Back