• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Just a thought

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
"First off, I detest the squids who pretend those little county and ranch roads they speed across in 4th gear do not have speed limits and such. They do. Unless riding on a private road on private land or an organized and permitted group ride, there are rules and regulations, same as riding any other public road. I'm really sick of riding along at legal speeds and being stopped by a rancher with a .30-30 who just put down an injured animal that was injured when spooked by a speeding squid. It's a VERY dangerous situation caused by a speeding squid who hasn't a clue.

Since us sane speed riders are the only ones law enforcement can catch, guess who unfairly suffers the ire? I'm tired of paying the squids' party fees.

Then there are the speeding squids who crash. Many don't seem to have insurance, and the costs of transporting the carcasses, recovering the motorcycles, and medical care and funerals are often dumped on rural counties with small populations, most of whom don't enjoy an overload of income. Services for the squids who refuse to support themselves are a severe tax burden every year."

I copied this form KenH (hope you don't mind, we all need the reminder) from another thread, but he has some good points. When we're out and about on county roads, these are folks HOMES we're riding by! Quiet exhausts and lower speeds are necessary if you want to enjoy this sport without much hassle(I say much because some folks ain't gonna like us no matter what).

A lot of the time I get left behind because going by houses/horses ect, I go the County road speed limit or less. On roads I know when we get away from living things I pick up the pace a little, but as Scott has stated in other places 40 or just over is plenty fast on back country dirt roads.

Almost all newer bikes are plenty fast as purchased, don't put a FMF race pipe on a 990 and blast by folks homes! Most moved to the sticks to not see anyone!

Explore and enjoy, but try not to disturb the "natives".

AND YES THIS APPLIES TO ME, lol. I've gone too fast at times, but I try to be a good neighbor. Just ride like it was your road, kinda like the Golden Rule!

Last edited:
That's kinda my mantra, Rob - be polite in whatever you do. Riding, driving, parking lots, shopping in Kroger. The Golden Rule (Matthew 7:12) is totally appropriate here. Almost every one of us here drives a car, lives in a house, has kids or grandkids who play outside. All too often, right here on the pages of TWT, we expend enormous energy arguing our riders' rights, vilifying drivers and property owners, and totally ignoring the fact that they are us. Riding is a great sport, but we really need to be willing to look at ourselves from the other side, and see what kind of neighbors we are.

I try to keep in mind how I would feel if I were the homeowners and saw myself go by their property... I try to be mindful of noise and dust where possible. The VAST majority of my encounters with locals on back roads has been very positive. I try hard to keep it that way.

I try to keep in mind how I would feel if I were the homeowners and saw myself go by their property... I try to be mindful of noise and dust where possible. The VAST majority of my encounters with locals on back roads has been very positive. I try hard to keep it that way.

From my rides with you I agree! You do good!

I never speed i try and stay a little below the speed limit at all times. My old 88 wont go very fast.

Heck, if squids want to come honkin' past my place, mo' pahr to 'em!

Of course I might just have shortened the weeds (rare, but it does happen) and the road (which runs thru my property) may be covered with clippings from the mower and they may be sorta slickish and said squid may overcook the turn a bit and find hisself wrapped around that tree down in the corner, and I may have been home and heard him screaming like a little girl just before he hit :eek2:, and I may have a camera handy (always!), and after I've called 911, knowing it's likely to take at least a half-hour for 1st Responders to get there, I may get to take a buncha pichers :photo: and video and stuff to post on U-toob and become famous, like Amos, and if it's one of youse guyz I'll prob'ly offer you a cold drink while you wait and, if I can and you want me to, I'll roll your bike over into the bikeport, or drag it, whichever is easier on my creaky ol' bod, and keep it safe for you and not charge you quite as much for storage as I would non-youse-guyz, :deal: and . . . . .

Hey! It could happen!

But it's more likely said Squidster would meet a tractor with one of those big-round-haybale-haulin' spikes on the front, with bale impaled, and that could be a Kodak Moment, too, and . . . . . :mrgreen:

:chug:

Back