• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My Barber shop in Maine

Those're some long hours for a "mature" gent. At least he's not closed on Wednesday.
What's a "Union River Redemption Center?"
How much he gettin' for a hayuh cut up thayuh? $12-15 'roun' he-uh.
Nice Pic!

You're killin' me.
The redemption center is where they bring bottles and cans.
Haircut is $12. I give him a $20 and tell him to keep it.
He's a cool dude.

I think it's got potential. I'd like to see it's "head" and "feet".

The redemption center is distracting to me. I would slight right until the vertical black bar sign hides the skylight and go for a vertical orientation that also cuts out the vent pipe on the left.

You're killin' me.
The redemption center is where they bring bottles and cans.
Haircut is $12. I give him a $20 and tell him to keep it.
He's a cool dude.

Wish we did "returnables" here. I'd like to see a $8 Bazillion Buck deposit on every plastic bottle. Better yet, NO plastic bottles!

Same here re $12/15 => $20. There are no "local" barbershops around here any more except one teeny one 5mi up the road that only works by appointment. Too hard; haircuts are a spur-of-the-moment thing anymore and to me it makes no sense for Mz G. to drive ~25mi to do a haircut, plus maintain her little shop. Why she can't see that, I don't know. Now, Super Cuts (open on Sunday, too) over in J'ville gets my business - there's a fat gay dude who flat knows how to cut hair. And one of the gal's sons ride bikes. And it's right by the "Super Rooster" Mercado where they have excellent tamales and roast chickens and that creamy green salsa that'll take your breath away for a second, and other stuff.

And I'm gonna have some Tamales Puerco w/Green Death Salsa for supper . . . . . and a coupla Sol's, in bottles.

Last edited:
Stick with the fat gay dude. As long as he gives you the cut you like.
Makes me smile to say " fat gay dude" don't know why but it does.

I've been to Ellsworth - nice town! Wish I could have stayed longer than a few hours.

Classic looking barber shop. Back when my bro and I were kids our dad used to take us to his barber. I remember it being so cool, that was in the 70's. The cat's name was Joe and if memory serves me I believe it could've fit right in with Starsky & Hutch.

I've gone to a local barber shop in Elgin where a lady from Thailand cut my hair. She was sometimes difficult to understand. I'd give her a $20 also for a $12 cut. Mostly though I just get out the clippers and do it myself. Been doing that for a decade now.

Now "chrome" setting on your camera, is that supposed to be like Kodachrome? And your Fuji camera is a 35mm equivalent lens, correct?

You are correct on both counts.
Love the old style barber shops. Jack has been here for as long as most people can remember. He has an old poodle that hangs out with him all day and sleeps in it's bed in the corner.
When he's done with the cut, he vacuums your head with an old Hoover that sits on the counter.

Honestly I was expecting a shot of the barber himself given the story.
Great story, may I suggest photos that back it up? Maybe a series showing the establishment then the gentleman himself in action.

Back