• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

We all survived!!

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Waugh
Well my youngest daughter is 15, recently got her learner MC license and I got her CRF250X road legal. we bought her a proper off-road MC jacket with body armor, pants and MC boots and this saturday we went for our first ever Dual Sport ride. We also bought some Bluetooth intercoms Sena SMH10, so we could keep in touch, the ride was only 50 miles long with about 20% dirt, 60% small back roads and 20% main road, despite having ridden off-road for 8 years, she was surprised by how much wind there was and how it affects the bike. She was surprised how fast 50mph seemed on 2 wheels, I am sure she rides that fast on dirt trails, but she said with the other cars around, it just seemed faster.. The intercoms where a pain in the **** to get working, but once we did, they where brilliant, 2 way conversations between the three of us (My wife on her CRF230F, my daughter on her CRF250X and me on my CRF450X, all road legal). The user manual with the sena intercoms is the crappiest instructions I have ever seen, would still like to find more instructions as our current method to make them work seems very hit & miss!! Anyway, just wanted to say we rode 50 miles in a mixture of mud, gravel & tarmac, loved it and all came home safely. Cant wait to go for another ride soon. I love off-road riding, but dual sport riding is a close second, especially when accompanied by my wife & daughters!!

Have fun out there and ride safe.. I didn't think to get any video or pics, was too busy getting everything right for my daughter to ride and explaining what to look for, and more importantly, what to look out for (cars pulling out, pot holes, etc). She will take her driving test in June, so we have 5 weeks to practice, she already passed a state approved training scheme, but because she is under 18 she also has to take the test.

Gary

Last edited:
That's great!

Sena does have a smart phone app with a good quick guide for what button combos do what and how but unfortunately it is only for category 4 devices and the smh10 is a cat 3 device.

Great! Glad to hear she is getting her license. Did daughter #1 start riding again, too?

m

No, she still has no interest in riding motorbikes!! She goes to university in a few months, so not a big problem, will enjoy the next 2 years riding with the youngest and then she will also be off to university!! :giveup:

Gary

Great story, Gary! I am really happy for you. Those are memories with dad that will last a lifetime. :rider:

I will be doing a 1500 mile dirt ride with my youngest daughter, wife and a very old friend in July, should take just over 2 weeks and I am hoping it will create many great memories!! If my daughter enjoys it, my wife and I have agreed to ride the CDR (again) with her, we love riding in Montana in the summer!! We might even do the TAT again but with my daughter! My wife is a great off-road rider.. We have many great memories from all the off-road holidays we have ridden, but it will be great to have one of the kids along. ��

Good to hear I need to call when I am in Plano next we need to get together been too long

Y'all outta come to the Round Mountain Roundup this weekend. Plenty of good DS routes in the area.

I am in Seattle all this weekend and week, get back just in time for the redneck rally, so doing that with my wife!! Daughter has exams on Monday so she is studying, not riding..

Back