• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cycleport Air Mesh Kevlar

Reaction score
First Name
David
Last Name
Dietrich
Those of you that see me regularly know that I spent what seemed like an eternity to receive this gear. I commute daily on my bike, and I was looking for something durable, with lots of air flow, and easy to get in and out. I considered Aerostitch, but was pretty sure that I would burn up in the Texas heat in their gear. My search led me to Cycleport.

Cycleport offers a variety of one and two piece gear that can be fabricated from either Kevlar or Cordura. My choice was their Air Mesh Kevlar. It's a rugged Kevlar weave with lots of armor protection. I found Cycleport to have outstanding customer service during the order process. I supplied multiple measurements, and they set to work on my order. They were not kidding when they explained a long manufacturing process. My order took 12 weeks to ship.

Enough about my selection and order history, on to the gear.

Here's a picture of the over-pants and jacket together.

cimg0045mz6.jpg

I had to pay $25 extra for a full zipper to attach the two. Well worth it in my opinion.

Both jacket and pants have well placed, wide strips of reflective fabric.

cimg0046tc3.jpg

The pants have a full zipper on the right leg, and a zipper to the crotch on the left. I have no problem getting in and out of these with boots on. There is zipper access on the sides if you want to get to your clothing underneath.

cimg0047ta9.jpg

The Kevlar mesh is outstanding. I get better air flow than my AGV mesh jacket. A true test came last week when I was held up by a train at 4:00 pm in direct sunlight. The breeze through the suit was enough to keep me from sweating. I even had jeans on under the pants. On weekends, I wear bike shorts under the pants. It's like riding in shorts (not that I would know).

Both jacket and pants have ample zippers. Lately, I've eliminated use of a tank bag.

cimg0048na9.jpg

I also purchased rain liners for the suit. The liners are breathable. While moving, they dry out very fast. This came in handy last week when I rode 100 miles in rain coming back from Burton. Once the sun came out, I roasted, but that should be expected. The liners:

cimg0049qb3.jpg

These kept me dry. The Kevlar does not absorb water, so everything dries out quickly. It takes considerably more time to don the rain gear than an oversuit, but I felt a lot cooler in this compared the Tourmaster suit I used to wear.

For the winter months, I purchased an insulated liner for the jacket. This zips inside the rain liner. It's stuffed in a drawer, awaiting my favorite time of year to ride.

cimg0050vx9.jpg

I am most impressed with the armor coverage. It's perforated, so the air gets through, and fairly flexible. Pant armor covers from boot to upper thigh and around the sides. The jacket has enough armor to stand up by itself. I really like the back protection.

cimg0051ey9.jpg

The custom measurements really paid off. This thing fits like a glove at every joint. Check out their website at http://www.motoport.com/. The Kevlar stuff is not cheap, but neither is a skin graft. Their comparison claims it's stronger than leather. They even offer racing suits. They provide a seven year waranty.

I hope to log many miles in this gear. I truly think it will meet my needs for year round riding in Texas.

Just thought that I would let you know that you are right about the Roadcrafter suit. I bought one back in January and finally had to put it up back at the end of May. I wore it on my trip to West Virginia and as long as it was not over 80 to 85F and I was moving it was ok, but if you stop you cook and you know how the traffic can be in town. I still wear it if it is raining when I leave for work or I think rain is eminent, but other than that I wear my mesh gear.

Got my air mesh kevlar 3/4 length jacket from Cycleport about a week ago.
Love it!!!
The pants are in the que now. Should have them by.... October. :(

btw, one of the reasons (far down on the list) that I went with Cycleport was the choice of colors. Why does everyone seem to make summer gear in black???? I opted for the silver in the jacket. But the pants will be black for contrast.

I have the Air Mesh Kevlar short jacket and pants as shown above.

GREAT stuff.

Black - It's probably not the safest color, but some of Cycleports other colors available for the Air Mesh are a bit YUCK! The yellow available when I bought looked like baby upchuck!
I think he has better options now.

And, oddly enough - the black air mesh does not seem to transfer heat from direct sunlight as most materials do.

Daryl said:
And, oddly enough - the black air mesh does not seem to transfer heat from direct sunlight as most materials do.

I've noticed this, too. I can leave the jacket out in the sun and it doesn't become skillet temperature like my old, black mesh jacket.:shrug:

Will any of you be riding to Hutto for the Pie Run this weekend? I would really like to see the gear in person.

mrr1150gs said:
Will any of you be riding to Hutto for the Pie Run this weekend? I would really like to see the gear in person.

Nope. Staying around the house this weekend.

About a 75% chance I'll make the pie run on Saturday.

Look for a Silver ST1300 - Yellow Arai helmet - 2 up

Thanks much for this post...
I've been in "research-mode" looking for some mesh pants that are NOT black. I found the cycleport web page but not much there in the way of photos
Thanks to your fine reviews :clap: I think I'll be placing an order soon.

Gee Daryl,
Thanks for the link...I read the entire thread... Lots of positives. I'm sold!
Only wish i could get it sooner...

Again, hanks for the link it was MOST useful and I would highly recommend it to anyone in search of additional information on motoport gear.

ADIFW said:
Thanks much for this post...
I've been in "research-mode" looking for some mesh pants that are NOT black. I found the cycleport web page but not much there in the way of photos
Thanks to your fine reviews :clap: I think I'll be placing an order soon.

You should check out the Motosport threads on ADVrider.com, also.

Lee

Back