• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

pinch flat much?

Intresting - Pricy, & only 21" available. Worth keeping an eye on...

Gimmick. How many of us really would benefit from running only 8 psi in our front tire? 25 works well in the desert I live in and 18 was great on the motocross track back in the city.

I have to wonder about their chart too... As in where they get a 12 month service life for the Tubliss setup. I know a rider that has had the same Tubliss setup for six years and several sets of tires. Of course, he is not in the marketing department for the maker/seller of this new gadget.

I wouldn't think it is marketed towards the dual sport crowd as I agree with Ed, there is no one that I can think of that would want to run 8psi for dual sporting.

Now for me and my YZ I typically run 12psi for woods riding and I have buddies that run lower than that. So for that it might work but so far they have all been enjoying their tubeless setups. Me, I just stick with regular tubes and 12psi and I still don't pinch flat.

I've never had a pinch flat. In the last 10 years riding dual sport I haven't had a flat: knock on wood. I run 25 in the front and 20 in the rear on my DRZ. I also run the thickest tubes I can find with Slime in the tubes. Numerous trips to Big Bend, the Continental Divide Trail, the TAT west from CO, and numerous rides around the dirt roads of the Hill Country. If you are getting pich flats you need more air or you need to pick better lines through rocky obstacles. That's all I got to say about that

:tab Side wall flex generates heat, particularly at higher speeds. I can see maybe going real low pressure at low speeds, like say for tight technical woods riding, but for general purpose DS riding that involves highways speeds, I pretty much never go below 20 psi front or rear. I don't want to risk the tire carcass failing at speed. I don't care how deep the sand/gravel gets. I am not convinced that the change in footprint on a typical 21" front tire is that significant going from 20 to 10-15psi. But I could be wrong :shrug: I love riding in deep sand and gravel and have no problems at 20 psi. That is true on my 530 EXC and my 1200 GS (and I RARELY go less than 25 psi on the GS).

:tab This might be nice though for keeping me from pinching the tubes with the irons when I am remounting a tire... :doh:

Never got a pinch flat running 10psi in the rear and 12psi in the front @HF or anywhere else.

Maybe it's the baby powder I spread all over a new tube. Maybe it's that I run UHD tubes.

Or maybe I just don't ride fast enough for a pinch flat.

I am not convinced that the change in footprint on a typical 21" front tire is that significant going from 20 to 10-15psi. But I could be wrong :shrug: I love riding in deep sand and gravel and have no problems at 20 psi.

I don't know what to tell you. I do know that on my YZ I can tell a HUGE difference between 20psi and 12psi. 25psi yields a ride so terrible in the corners that you just don't want to ride the thing. It will just want to push the front end and spin the back end. Drop it to 12psi and it feels like it is on rails.

It happens... pretty rare but still. Sometimes I'll smack the crud outa the front and expect it to be flat by the time I can look. Never happens that way. Always sneaks up on me out of nowhere - just feel that sickening squishy thing and aw heck!

I recently went to a mousse in the front. Sticking with the Tubliss in back. Off-road and very little pavement.

Course some places like Cloudcroft or the Ozarks hammer away at tubes way worse.

:tab Oh yeah, the Rim Trail in Cloudcroft had me thinking a few times that I HAD to have a flat after hitting a few of those rocks, especially that last few miles on the far South end :eek2:

Somewhere South of Cloudcroft in the Lincoln NF (Willie White T113 I think)
IMG_7833.jpg

IMG_7847.jpg

Jbay on the North end of the Rim Trail on his KTM 350EXC
IMG_7875-2.jpg

Roots and rocks everywhere
IMG_7886.jpg

One of MANY rocky climbs on the South end of the trail
IMG_8030.jpg

And a STEEP rocky descent... NO stopping once you commit!
IMG_8031.jpg

I had not planned on stopping in the middle of this climb, but I figured Roger would not appreciate me using him and his bike for better traction...
IMG_8037.jpg

Follow the white rock road...
IMG_8041.jpg

:tab Some of the stuff we did out in Arizona with Gotdurt a few years ago was even worse. At one point, the "road" was nothing more than a worn path along the rough surface of a MASSIVE rock face.

This is a relatively small section like that
IMG_9183.jpg

The view from the bottom
IMG_9184.jpg

IMG_9185.jpg

The "road" ahead...
IMG_9186.jpg

Doesn't look so steep and bad from here... :shrug:
IMG_9192.jpg

Until you walk down a SHORT bit and look back up :twitch:
IMG_9196.jpg

This drops down into a sandy valley out of sight below in the middle of the shot and then immediately starts that climb in the distance, which is just more solid rock with LOTS of hard ledges and steps all the way to the top
IMG_9192_pano.jpg

This is the downside beyond the climb in the shot above, solid rock ledges all the way down
IMG_9200.jpg

This is further North, up past Globe and into the mountains, LOTS of embedded rocks sticking out of the ground that are easy to WHACK if you are not paying attention!
IMG_9253.jpg

This isn't so bad because none of us are David Knight and we went SLOW :lol2:
IMG_9409.jpg

IMG_9422.jpg

This is somewhere between Sedona and Flagstaff. The road was nothing more than rocks. It would lull me into a sense of smooth for a short section then get REAL rough all of a sudden!
IMG_9506.jpg

LLLLOOOOTTTSSSS of rocks...
IMG_9507.jpg

Then there is this fun stuff, steep with big rocks just waiting to rob you of your momentum. I had a couple HARSH impacts here. I almost wished I'd have been wearing a tooth guard at the time :doh:
IMG_9591.jpg

Riding in Eastern Utah around Moab is also fun rocky terrain!
Utah_0161.jpg

LOTS of fun steps ranging from a few inches to a few feet!
Utah_0200.jpg

Utah_0208.jpg

Utah_0210.jpg

Utah_0212.jpg

Quite a few BIG steps in here!
Utah_0218-2.jpg

Utah_0220-2.jpg

VERY steep with TIGHT switchbacks... LOTS of big sharp rocks on the way down, but we had to abort and go back up because of fuel concerns for a few of the bikes
Utah_0634.jpg

About the third or fourth switchback from the top
Utah_0640.jpg

The next one down...
Utah_0642.jpg

:tab Despite the rockiness of these rides, I don't recall anyone getting a pinch flat, or any flat for that matter. I think most of us were running at least 20 psi. For general DS riding, I find that pressure to be a good compromise for doing both paved and off road stuff, even when there is DEEP sand and gravel involved. It also seems to work pretty well at preventing pinch flats given that we are not riding at break neck speeds when the going starts to get really rough. Most of the time, if I am paying attention, I can avoid the really harsh hits. Sometimes though... I just lean back and yank on the bars as I give it a bit of gas and that seems to help. Traveling with a heavy luggage load makes you REALLY feel it on the rear. Getting that weight off the back of the bike makes a huge difference.

:tab I'll probably end up cursing myself because of this next comment. In the years that I've been riding DS, I've only gotten a flat twice, in Mexico while riding my KLR because of a thorn that was the size of a freaking home framing nail out in the middle of the desert!! The second was on pavement in Arkansas and it was another nail :doh: I'm pretty sure I've never gotten a pinch flat, other than when I have pinched a tube putting it in the tire. I don't think I've ever seen anyone in any of the riding groups I've ridden with ever get a pinch flat either :shrug: I can see it being a big issue if you race though.

Here's one you don't see everyday... pinched a tire. Yep, brand new 606. On top of Cannibal Plateau in Colorado. That place is so bloomin rocky that if you don't pinch something then somebody ain't really trying. :doh:

DSCN0645.jpg

This is the storm across the valley that was bearing down on us at the time. Popping lightning like the 4th of July. You could say we were motivated. :eek2:

C-Plat2.jpg

I think there's a saying that says something about great adventure sometimes not always seeming so great at the time... :trust:

I think there's a saying that says something about great adventure sometimes not always seeming so great at the time... :trust:

:tab Roger and I call that retroactive fun. If you survive it, then a few weeks later you will generally look back on it as having been fun even though it was sucking pretty hard at the time... Now there are times where we get into something nuts and one of us will look at the other and just say, "retroactive fun?"... No other words necessary, hehe.

:tab Roger and I call that retroactive fun. If you survive it, then a few weeks later you will generally look back on it as having been fun even though it was sucking pretty hard at the time... Now there are times where we get into something nuts and one of us will look at the other and just say, "retroactive fun?"... No other words necessary, hehe.

If you ever here me say Type 2 fun, you'll know exactly what I mean.

Received a 20% off code for the this tube guard: use code SR20
its also good for the seal mate fork seal cleaner. I cant vouch for the tube guard, but the seal mate is great and has saved me from premature fork seal replacements. Post up if you order or have experience.
Cheers

Back