• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sabine Pass to High Island beach construction?

Reaction score
I rode this over the last few days and noticed a bunch of activity with heavy equipment on the beach and in the wildlife refuge.
cd9b39669973451ca020767ed1682311.jpg

It appears that they are repairing the damaged fencing, but there is more going on. It looked like the track hoes and such were using the beach for a highway to different areas of the refuge as I really didn't see any evidence of any work on the beach except for some fencing repair. By the way, it looks like the fencing is electrified cattle wire.
15bc14286e802a56cb1af3dbdf9d9041.jpg

I have ridden this route dozens of times but not since last year, and seems like the erosion is about to close off this route in places unless you ride at extreme low tide and or the refuge fence is moved back from the water (which I thought was state law).

6005ef73f5570bf08c01cd1e9cf1c9bc.jpg

Anyway, does anyone know what is going on?

Last edited:
Good to know, but I wonder what that will mean for the future of this stretch of beach being open for travel. I guess we will have to see. I think it's good someone is addressing the issue, but will Uncle Sam actually do anything worthwhile.

If you're riding from High Island to Sabine Pass, can you get all the way into Sabine Pass? I thought the wildlife refuge blocked the way into Sabine Pass.

If you're riding from High Island to Sabine Pass, can you get all the way into Sabine Pass? I thought the wildlife refuge blocked the way into Sabine Pass.

You can ride to the little beach area on south Sabine pass and then you have to slab it into Sabine pass proper(if you want to call it that) been that way for a long time now. But only if the tide isn't too high. Forget it on a Busa unless the tide is way out

Thanks. I knew it would require slabbing a little into Sabine Pass. In the past I had been told you couldn't get by the the refuge if coming from High Island due to it being closed off to traffic.

It worked for me and basically from memory they are having erosion issues and drainage problems without sediment replenishment due to damming upstream so they are trying to build some type of solution... It was a lot more long winded and detailed but that's what I got before I slid down another rabbit hole in the web

It worked for me ..

Link still works for me also but your photos in the first post are not. It is Sea Rim State Park not the refuge that keeps you from going all the way to Sabine Pass. You are not allowed to enter or exit the SP by motor vehicle on the beach. East of the SP is all private land so no way to access the public beach by motor vehicle. So basically you are forced off the beach at Sea Rim SP and no way to get back on.

_

There used to be a seafood restaurant in Sabine Pass years ago. Is it still there or another reopened in its place after the hurricanes?

There used to be a seafood restaurant in Sabine Pass years ago. Is it still there or another reopened in its place after the hurricanes?
Last time I was there, a year or so ago the Pizza / sandwich shop (big building on stilts) was even closed. I always liked to stop there to eat and have a cold adult beverage.

_

Oops, had to edit: there is a diner type food trailer restaurant called Tammys in Sabine pass, not sure about anything else. Tammys is good but I think mostly serves food during the week. On Bolivar: Stingaree is open for seafood, there are Couple Mexican joints and the tiki bar and grill. Maybe a few other stands open on busy weekends.

Last edited:

Jay, I would guess that you are remembering Sartin's Seagood. It was very popular but closed around 1990. They were mainly known for their "bar b qed" crab. Sartin's name is on several different establishments from Port Authur to Houston now. Sadly there is legal turmoil over who owns family name and reputation.

Jay, I would guess that you are remembering Sartin's Seagood. It was very popular but closed around 1990. They were mainly known for their "bar b qed" crab. Sartin's name is on several different establishments from Port Authur to Houston now. Sadly there is legal turmoil over who owns family name and reputation.

Yep, that's the one I was thinking of. Now you mention it, a friend in Port Neches told me of the legal issues over the name years ago and I had forgot about it until I read your post. Used to stop in there back in the late '70s coming back from McFadden beach (lived in Vidor at the time).

Yep, that's the one I was thinking of. Now you mention it, a friend in Port Neches told me of the legal issues over the name years ago and I had forgot about it until I read your post. Used to stop in there back in the late '70s coming back from McFadden beach (lived in Vidor at the time).

VIDOR!!! I knew there was something about you, having a friend in PN will help overcome that. ;-)

VIDOR!!! I knew there was something about you, having a friend in PN will help overcome that. ;-)

We moved there from Lafayette, LA in '77 and it was pure culture shock. I didn't have much choice as I was still in high school at the time.:argh:

But the recipe is still available at the Stingaree in Crystal Beach overlooking the bay. My favorite seafood restaurant. The crabs are called Bosco's bbq crabs IIRC. The previous owner got the recipe from the family in Sabine Pass years ago. My dad and his brothers grew up in Orange and confirmed the flavor as authentic and fattened themselves on it every summer for 20+ years.

http://www.stingaree.com/

Back