• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lightning - relearning and new camera

gixxerjasen

Wow
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
My wife got herself a nice new Nikon D5300 to finally replace our stolen D70 some time ago. I haven't tried shooting lightning since I had my old Canon G2. On our way home last night from the movies the lightning was putting on quite the show. When we got home I ran in and grabbed the Nikon and the Bogan and headed back out to the park in our subdivision.

You learn a lot about the controls of your new camera fumbling around in pitch black darkness. :rofl:

Sadly, the storm was already moving off by the time I got set up. I got a couple of shots but didn't have settings ideal. It was a fun time out playing to see what I could get and learn some more about the camera, as well as trying to relearn things I haven't done in about eight or so years. I ended up with one that needed a good deep crop to come out ok. I need to remove those lights on the lower right, but sadly my editing software is seriously out of date. My old copy of Photoshop won't even install on modern systems. But, it is what it is and it's a start.

lightning20160429_zpsevdaarfu.jpg

Here's the original, not sure if I like the brown or the desaturated better.

DSC_0112_zps6bpk4jab.jpg

On second thought, I might have to play with some more work with it. This one might benefit from a wider crop.

Last edited:
Try a 16x9 cinema crop :deal:

Yeah, go wide with this one and I personally like the color version as there's a deeper texture with the moisture in the cloud reflections.

I took a little liberty to 'play' with it.

Here's a 16:9
i-LFMH4nk.jpg

And a 4:1
i-t2WJL2f.jpg

And a 4:1 with less water/more sky
i-XQh8jXK.jpg

Stick with it.... I've yet to capture a lightning shot myseslf :doh:

Last edited:
Second 4:1 is what I was thinking. There's not enough reflection in the water for the first one I think and the top bolts are a little crowded, so the second one works better for me.

There's so much timing involved with the lighting shooting, besides just landing the shot. Having the right kind of storm at night where you can have a good unobstructed view and yet not be IN the lightning and rain. Being out in front of a good storm is amazing to shoot. It's also VERY frustrating. Hearing the shutter close just as a perfect blast goes rippling through the sky after 25 total blackness shots will drive you crazy. The perfect set of bolts that pop just out of frame will also annoy you.

I'll also add, just when you've decided the storm has moved on, and it's time to pack up, as you close the legs of the tripod, a very nice set of bolts will light up the night sky...right where you had your camera aimed. It's a rule, and it happend last night. :D

Tshelfer, we are liking it. Some things from our D70 ages ago apply, but I've also found a few things that have changed. Getting used to it and learning how it works is half the fun.

My best bud and I love to watch lightning play. One of these days I'm going to afford the gizzy that can detect lightning and fire the camera shutter.

Take lots of shots. Friend of mine says he's sending me an arduino project that activates the shutter for you over and over. Dunno if I'll build it though.

Nice. I like the color and the bottom 4:1 crop the most.

Back