• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

First Poker Run on the NC700X

Bines

Reaction score
Yesterday I went on my first poker run with my Honda NC700X. I've done them before when I had a Suzuki C50. This was my first ride on the NCX that wasn't for commuting. Seriously, I've had this bike over a year, and this is the first time I took it out that wasn't for work or errands. Sheesh.

This was the Somervell Bikers for Grub poker run. I went with a co-worker on his Honda VTX 1300, and his son and his wife on a Honda Shadow 750. I think we were the only Hondas. We saw two BMW 1200 RTs, a KTM Duke (I think), and a Kawasaki sport bike. Harley was the predominant brand, as usual at these events.

I left Watauga around 730am to meet up in Burleson. From there, we went to Glen Rose. Glen Rose to Walnut Springs, to Cranfils Gap, to Hico, Bluff Dale, back to Glen Rose, Burleson, and then home by about 730pm.

Beautiful country out there. Fun exciting roads the whole way. Lots of curves and hills. Next to no traffic. I mean, for miles the only vehicles we saw were our own. The roads are in fairly good shape out there. Some of the chip seal in not so sealed anymore, though. Results in loose gravel.

The three of us stayed in our group. No big parade formation. The Shadow 2up was usually in the lead, with the wife navigating by the directions provided by the run. Man! That Shadow just gets it. I've been on runs with them before. That bike deserves all the praise it gets. The guy driving it is pretty good, too. 2ups it like it ain't no thing.

The big VTX was second, and could leave us, no doubt. It also handled well in the curves. The 62-year-old driving it was just putting it through its paces. He's been riding a long time.

We pretty much stuck to the speed limits, even the posted speeds for the curves. Okay. Maybe a few miles above here and there. My NCX had no problem. Me, I had to get some feel for it, but was easily holding pace. Our directions were a bit suspect, and after getting turned around for the second or third time, I took the lead with my phone mounted for GPS. I didn't want to push it with a 2up behind me, but I did manage to pull away in some curves. Started feeling froggy, I did. ... Until that patch of gravel. Whoa boy! Rear tire slid to the outside with a quickness. I felt a sinking feeling. Pulled it up though. Whew. I went back to a more conservative speed. After that though, I was kind of spooked. The Shadow took lead again after Cranfils Gap, and I was finding myself being slower; a bit farther behind, but not out of sight.

At the last stop in Glen Rose, having used my phone as GPS, for looking up stuff, texting my wife, and taking a few pics, it was down to 21% battery. I plugged it into my solar charged battery leaving Glen Rose. In Burleson, I was up to 73%. Nice.

It was a great ride, and I am pleased with how the NCX did. I lost track of total miles. Had to be about 300. The bike used 4.4 gallons. About 68 mpg.

This is Cranfils Gap. Pretty much all of downtown right here. We were last in, having been lost. With the bikes off, the only sound was birds.

Attachments

• 4491.jpg
    4491.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Wait. Four Hondas. I think that's a Gold Wing in the picture.

Back