• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Weekly East Texas ramble of Thrill-Billy & Baja Explorer

thrill-billy85

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Me and BajaExplorer (Keith) set out today on a little ride.

We left my place in Brownsboro, and headed south east towards frankston.

South out of frankston we turned east on Anderson Cr309. After a few miles, it turns to dirt, and the fun starts.

The route turned north, but not before getting kinda gnarly. That's a subjective term, but there is now way I could've gotten through there in my 2wd pickup. It would've taken 4wd, and tires. For sure. The roads were washed out, some covered in water. Lots of mud, but strangely enough neither me or Baja were satisfied with the amount left on our bikes after the scoot. We caught some un-painted blacktop, and dirt roads all the way to Jacksonville.

We grabbed burgers at Legends old time burger barn. It was awesome. Huge burgers, you build yourself, like drud****ers.

We caught some more un-painted blacktop, and a little more dirt on the way back towards Tyler.

The roads could've been sportier. Actually, the dirt was all plenty of fun, but more of it is always nice.

Either way, the scenery was nice, and the weather was made to order.

We're already scheming next Tuesday's ride, if anyone else wants to join.

Some pictures.
IMG_20160517_115255821_zpsghsx3o2i.jpg

There was a small gator in this pond. You can maybe see his eyes sticking up.
IMG_20160517_115244452_zps4stxervr.jpg

Some overlook on 69, North of j'ville
IMG_20160517_132847739_zpsf8ijv7bi.jpg

We came across this box turtle on some road South of Whitehouse.
IMG_20160517_141159841_zpsmsvheqpq.jpg

IMG_20160517_141217348_zpstup7jdpt.jpg

IMG_20160517_141647234_zpsunetftzu.jpg

Fun times!

Videos coming soon. Lots of gopro footage today

Last edited:
Re: Little East Texas ramble.

Nice. The weather has been great for riding.

Today, we headed south, into the hillbilly triangle. Lol.

IMG_20160523_195246_zpszg0iwbts.jpg

As we proceeded South on FM 315, across the Anderson county line, we kept our eyes peeled for a dirt road to turn down. After doing some reconnaissance via Google earth, I knew there were plenty. Luck was on our side. We turned down one that just went on and on for miles. We came to a fork and took the one less traveled. Pretty soon, we were riding thru some ranchers pasture, then across a cattle guard, and into a town I've never heard of. More of a dot on the map. If you're familiar with willow city, it was about like that. We turned around, and headed several miles back to the fork, and went the other way. This leg met the same fate. We turned back, and set out for another turnoff we'd passed. This one also went on for a few miles, and T'd into a paved FM road. We decided to head back the way we'd come.

After some more jaunts down dirt roads, we found a good place atop a hill with a bit of a view thru the trees.
We scarfed down some chicken salad sandwiches, and pork n beans, and I had an ice cold Arnold Palmer. The afternoon was more of the prior, but with maybe a bit more un-painted blacktop whos rough-ness rivaled any dirt road. The scenery was oh-my-god nice, for East Texas.

A few pics from atop the hill during lunch, and a shaky video here in the next day or so.
IMG_20160524_114600664_zpsyw3qwcsy.jpg

IMG_20160524_120431396_HDR_zps8d4wv4kg.jpg

I thought for sure we would find some low water crossing or least some stretches of wet nasty mud roads, but not to be. In order to prove that we had gone out, we had to settle for what was left in some of bar ditches and even then we only got a slight splatter out of them. Oh well, we well continue searching.

I think there's like 2 people that actually look at this thread, and if you're one of them, the prepare for a cool ride next Monday, maybe Tuesday.

It goes south, (as usual) but much further into Anderson/Leon counties. This is a one route to a from, with a loop at the South. Basically we ride home on the same track we took south.

I've ridden alot of the roads immediately South of frankston, but this route is about 90% dirt. I think the longest paved stretch South of frankston is maybe a mile or so.

Check it---
Screenshot_2016-05-26-20-20-43_zpsnzals8np.png

Also, this is an open invite kinda thing. If you wanna go, lemme know.

Also, y'all have any ideas for lunch menu. Two weeks ago was burgers in Jacksonville, last week was chicken salad sandwiches, and beans. I'd like to take something that packs better.

Spam tacos!!! Lol

Great post! thank you for sharing!
Would you happen to have the .gpx file i could download? i go to east texas quite often (inlaws) and would not mind trying one of the routes.

Cheers!

Great post! thank you for sharing!
Would you happen to have the .gpx file i could download? i go to east texas quite often (inlaws) and would not mind trying one of the routes.

Cheers!

You go out this weekend and some of that stuff is going to be nasty.
I know one place I would like to go back.

Last edited:
I think there's like 2 people that actually look at this thread, and if you're one of them, the prepare for a cool ride next Monday, maybe Tuesday.
*snip*
Spam tacos!!! Lol

I B one.

Wx Weenies say Monday ain't gonna be cool, last I saw (as in I'm afraid to look with a camping trip set to start shortly - fortunately I have the "inside" track on alternative-to-a-tent sleeping arrangements). We stood in the doorway and watched 3 tornadoes drop out of a black cloud over Purtis Creek SP on Mem'l Day in '08 - video'd it! (dunno where that file's hiding) - and at least one of them (all 3 consolidated?) went on to give the folks in Chandler something to do over the next little while - prob'ly went right over your house, T_B.

And if Monday ain't good, Toozday ain't gonna be much better, certainly not on the dirt (/sticky red slimy concrete) around here. Also, I might not be back from the wknd until late Monday. As a potential date, Tuesday would be a possible, Monday prob'ly not. The 625's ready and tho' D606's may not be the best tarz for mud, they have lotsa knobbz.

7B Restaurant in Frankston is not open on Monday and, besides, Thursday is Chicken 'n' Dumplins Day. There are a couple of little eating places in Maydelle, usually with a truck or two parked there.

Run it back'ards - start in Rusk - and there's a fine little seafood place (!!!) there, and a couple others, + the usual fast food (best Sonic Large S'berry Malts are in Rusk, IMO).

Add pineapple and academy nuts to your concoction and call 'em Hawaiian Tacos! :rofl:

Make that four. I loves me some East Texas..:dude:

Right on! I'll HOPEFULLY have some GoPro footage up tonight. I've been really busy with a house that I WAS renting out, and am now selling buyers are using a VA loan, and its FSBO, so I've got a ton of hoops to jump through. I think I'm done dabbling in the real estate market, after this

... I've been really busy with a house that I WAS renting out, and am now selling buyers are using a VA loan, and its FSBO, so I've got a ton of hoops to jump through. I think I'm done dabbling in the real estate market, after this

It can get "interesting," can't it. Piece-a-cake for those who've been into it a long time but a potential disaster for a dabbler. Having rented out my townhouse in Va. Beach a couple of times, using highly-recommended but worthless Agents who were only interested in their 10% rakeoff, I learned my lesson - D O N 'T!

Funny story . . . well, mildly amusing, I think . . . bought my place in TX, put my 4BR raised custom built A-frame in the 'Chafalaya Swamp on the market in November, and moved, going back frequently to check on it, essentially camping out in the house which was a lot roomier without all my junk in it. Used the same Agent I'd bought thru, 8yrs earlier.

No takers at a good price, no dreams of getting rich on a house in which I was sweating out hurricanes every year, sometimes more than once - Ground Zero for Andrew, then Katrina (I was long gone), then Ike, then ???

Got a call from the Agent, Miss Mary, in June, said she had a cash offer, $10K below my asking price. I told her to call them back and make a counter, $10K above Listing price. She said, "You can't do that, can't raise your asking price when there's an offer on the table!" Says I, "Check our contract; it expired two weeks ago."

Five minutes later she called back, laughing. SOLD, cash, for asking price!

Sometimes it's fun, though I did have to have the 3-Stage Aeration Septic System pumped out.

Pro Tip: NEVER use powdered laundry detergent if you have a Septic System; those granules are little plastic balls that just accumulate.

Really ON-TOPIC: Nothing on the agenda for tomorrow and the 625's still got a full tank of fuel - plenty in cans, too. I may take a look at Beard Mountain Road and see how bad the mud it; it was still raining here at 2A, yesterday, but we've had good sun all day today so it may be hardening up, except probably down by the creek.

Awesome ride today! BajaExplorer couldn't make it because his cush hub needs some love.

Today, I rode my "Anderson County Dirt" route. A few hiccups with the route. One of which was fuel management. I really didn't plan well. I should've topped off in frankston, but instead, I topped off in brownsboro. Then rode 30 miles to frankston and started the route.

This route is very remote, with NO fuel available. Boo.

So South of Frankston, I hit up some familiar dirt roads. These are pretty fun, but once you've seen them a dozen times, they loose their lustre.

Fifteen miles or so South of frankston however, I venture into foreign territory. IT. WAS. AWESOME.

The roads were about 90% dirt. They ranged from well kept dirt, to...... Uhh. Well maybe at one point 30 years ago it was a county maintained road, but those days of half-*****ed county maintenance are long gone.

The road I was following paralleled the neches river for a bit. Suddenly, the road rewarded me with a really nice place to stop and take a picture, and have a cig.

IMG_20160607_125443109_zps70uuzhmg.jpg

IMG_20160607_125228269_zpsz5qmdn4p.jpg

IMG_20160607_125214854_zpsdpkgy9nq.jpg

IMG_20160607_125207011_HDR_zpslkwb1bew.jpg

Down the way a bit the road was flooded. Lots of water to splash around in.

IMG_20160607_134016978_HDR_zpshhfmuiuf.jpg

After a few miles, I came upon this old house. Or cabin. Or whatever. It may not actually be old, but rather one that someone started building, and gave up on. Who knows.
IMG_20160607_122007314_zpsj8w9s6tf.jpg

IMG_20160607_121857487_zpsidsn3kgc.jpg

IMG_20160607_121918404_zpsopzpndty.jpg

IMG_20160607_121749430_zpszn86zefp.jpg

**** good place to have lunch. Vienna sausages, and triscuits. ;-)

IMG_20160607_121727402_HDR_zps7fgbwiug.jpg

Back down the road I came to this crossing. Let's just say, it's deeper than it looks. The banks of the neches were breached by the floods, and are now washing across this road, and taking the road with it.

IMG_20160607_134707319_HDR_zpsae02ymya.jpg

IMG_20160607_134736932_zpsuzbjuxgw.jpg

IMG_20160607_134750658_zpsm2rlxelm.jpg

Eventually, I decided it didn't have enough gas to make the loop. I've barely scratched the surface of all the gnarly dirt roads in this area. It's just a never ending web of poorly maintained dirt roads.

One the way back I took a wrong turn. The Garmin backlight sucks. I need to look into it. By the time I realized I'd made a huge wrong turn, I was too far to turn back. Remember... Gas is an issue at this point.

I'm still on a "county road" and headed the correct vector, I press on. The road was like this. I could've stopped and taken 100 pictures of different sights, but did not.

IMG_20160607_144611776_zpset5hw5bm.jpg

This continued, and the road conditions deteriorated

IMG_20160607_144740001_zpss28mfmqo.jpg

This tree had fallen across the road. No way to go around... Break some limbs, and go under....

IMG_20160607_145459223_zpsgbfzxdwt.jpg

Pretty soon, the roads are becoming overgrown, and are no longer wide enough for any other vehicle other than a dirtbike to pass. Maybe an ATV.

IMG_20160607_150127847_zps1tnbp9ne.jpg

This was still showing as a county road, and there's no way I could turn back. I had to press on. This, to me, is the very idea of ADVENTURE riding. I have no idea how this is gonna end, or where I'm even going.... Other than North...ish

The highlight up to this point would be this old wood bridge. Probably been decades since anyone's been across it.

IMG_20160607_150055964_zpsch2ldeg9.jpg

Amazing
IMG_20160607_150108792_zpsdc0zvcty.jpg

IMG_20160607_150121499_zpspbemjbzk.jpg

Another couple miles through washed out heinous remnants of a county road of yesteryear and I get to this monstrosity. Dang. The picture does no justice as to how steep this climb is, and how impassable it is to ride up on the shoulders. The only way up was right up the dang middle.... Johnny Walker style. Once I was at the top, I looked back, and felt as if I'd just conquered something. Truly a confidence inspiring experience.

IMG_20160607_150711808_zpse4lv4u1o.jpg

IMG_20160607_150733294_zpsgki8udyl.jpg

From the top, looking back down at the scooter. Before the climb, obviously. I'm not gonna lie, I moved some tires out of the way, and a few into the way, to act as a step up onto some taller ledges

IMG_20160607_150826272_zps6sw4q2x9.jpg

After this, I was really lost. The road didn't get much 'roadier' for MILES. I was super lost and on a road that wasn't on either my updated Garmin map, or Google maps. I knew which way was North, and that the way I went. Lots of unlocked gates, and finally I made it to a road that registered.

Rolling into frankston, it Dawn's on me I SHOULDVE hit reserve a LONG time ago. I pull into the gas station and rol up to a pump.

After removing the cap I see there's about a pint of gas left in the tank on each side. Maybe more on the petcock side. It is at this point I realize I've had it on reserve all day.

Man, this could've gotten crappy.

Or maybe just more adventureyer.

Today, I rode my "Anderson County Dirt" route. A few hiccups with the route. One of which was fuel management. I really didn't plan well. I should've topped off in frankston, but instead, I topped off in brownsboro. Then rode 30 miles to frankston and started the route.

This route is very remote, with NO fuel available. Boo.

Remember... Gas is an issue at this point.

Man, this could've gotten crappy.

Or maybe just more adventureyer.

Tell me again how much better that smaller tank is.....:lol2:

Seriously though it looks like a great ride. Thanks for sharing.:rider:

Lol. The gas wouldve been an issue with the old tank too. .7 gallons on a 650l which gets about 40mpg is equates to what, an additional 30 miles? I still wouldn't have made the whole loop but would've actually tried... Which means I would've been walking. Lol. That .7 gallons gives a false sense of security.

The real issue is that I didn't incorporate ANY civilation into about 160 miles of this ride. Unless you've got the Acerbis tank, and a weak wrist, fuel will be an issue. ;-)

On the other hand... Keith's tank holds like 6.8 gallons. If he goes, and I bring a siphon tube... No problemo!

Last edited:
Lol. The gas wouldve been an issue with the old tank too. .7 gallons on a 650l which gets about 40mpg is equates to what, an additional 30 miles? I still wouldn't have made the whole loop but would've actually tried... Which means I would've been walking. Lol. That .7 gallons gives a false sense of security.

The real issue is that I didn't incorporate ANY civilation into about 160 miles of this ride. Unless you've got the Acerbis tank, and a weak wrist, fuel will be an issue. ;-)

On the other hand... Keith's tank holds like 6.8 gallons. If he goes, and I bring a siphon tube... No problemo!

And I suppose my bike is suppose to be the fuel tanker for yours now?
Wonder if we can transfer fuel like the air tankers do, on the fly.

We're wasting everyone's time if we don't at least try....

And that deserves a big ROFL ROFL!

Remind me to install the Rotopax stuff before going on a ride with you, and to pack the Arkysaw Credit Card! Or to ride the 690T(anker)! Or BOTH!

Great writeup! Those "deteriorating" sections remind me of similar sunken roads in the Mississippi woods, remnants of troops heading to/from Vicksburg during "The Late Unpleasantness."

Back