• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Austin routes

Reaction score
I'll be in Austin next week with the scooter and I'm looking for suggestions on some good roads. I'll be staying about 12 miles west of the capital building so that would be my starting point. Any help would be appreciated. If you know the approximate mileage of your proposed ride please include it. Thanks.

Dumptruck said:
12 miles east of the capital building
Twelve miles? Man, where are you staying?

Since your that far east, there are some nice roaming country roads east of Elgin, around Lexington etd. Very nice country towards Bastrop, similar to east Texas. Good state park roads there that are fun, although you need to ride slow since it's a park.

whoa said:
Twelve miles? Man, where are you staying?

Since your that far east, there are some nice roaming country roads east of Elgin, around Lexington etd. Very nice country towards Bastrop, similar to east Texas. Good state park roads there that are fun, although you need to ride slow since it's a park.

CORRECTION
I'm 12 miles WEST of the capital. I guess I wasn't thinking straight. We are staying in Barton Creek.

chiricahua said:
Lime Creek Road over by Travis Lake. Not to far from where you're staying. Not sure on the mileage just do it over and over and over:rider:

I don't see that one on my map. What does it intersect with or where abouts is it in relation to te lake?

Dumptruck said:
I don't see that one on my map. What does it intersect with or where abouts is it in relation to te lake?

Woodbutcher and some others on here were kind enough to hip me to LimeCreek Road. It's the closest thing to some real twisties that remind me of Cali.:sun:

From RM 620 and 2222 intersection head out Bullock Hollow road (it is the continuation of 2222 to the west) until you reach a T intersection. Which is FM 2769, and it is the road to Volente. Turn left and go until you reach the community of Volente, turn right on Lime Creek Road. This will be pretty curvy. Eventually that will meet with Anderson Mill Road, and turn left on AM. Past the quarry you will hit FM 1431, turn left and you will go through Jonestown and Lago Vista. Take it easy between the two towns speed wise. Just as you leave Lago Vista, on the right is a road up to a bird sanctuary. It is dirt, but fun and only a mile long. Come back after you hit the senic overlook. Back on FM 1431, go a little over 4 miles to Cow Creek road, on the right. Small country road with curves, cattle guards, low water crossings. Should be neat tomorrow. It ends at 1174, so turn right and that will lead you back to FM 1431. From there you can turn left and head for home, or turn right and continue on through some curvy roads to Marble Falls. Hit the Blue Bonnet Cafe for lunch and/or pie, then head back. That should entertain you for the morning.

Speed limit is 40 miles an hour which prolly should be more like 50 or 55 but you can take a spirited ride if you don't see the PoPo:mrgreen:

Some people that I talked to said that there are two many Deer and that the road is always dirty.
I have found none of that but traffic on the W/E's can be heavy for breif moments.

Have fun and ride safe:rider:

chiricahua said:
Woodbutcher and some others on here were kind enough to hip me to LimeCreek Road. It's the closest thing to some real twisties that remind me of Cali.:sun:

From RM 620 and 2222 intersection head out Bullock Hollow road (it is the continuation of 2222 to the west) until you reach a T intersection. Which is FM 2769, and it is the road to Volente. Turn left and go until you reach the community of Volente, turn right on Lime Creek Road. This will be pretty curvy. Eventually that will meet with Anderson Mill Road, and turn left on AM. Past the quarry you will hit FM 1431, turn left and you will go through Jonestown and Lago Vista. Take it easy between the two towns speed wise. Just as you leave Lago Vista, on the right is a road up to a bird sanctuary. It is dirt, but fun and only a mile long. Come back after you hit the senic overlook. Back on FM 1431, go a little over 4 miles to Cow Creek road, on the right. Small country road with curves, cattle guards, low water crossings. Should be neat tomorrow. It ends at 1174, so turn right and that will lead you back to FM 1431. From there you can turn left and head for home, or turn right and continue on through some curvy roads to Marble Falls. Hit the Blue Bonnet Cafe for lunch and/or pie, then head back. That should entertain you for the morning.

Speed limit is 40 miles an hour which prolly should be more like 50 or 55 but you can take a spirited ride if you don't see the PoPo:mrgreen:

Some people that I talked to said that there are two many Deer and that the road is always dirty.
I have found none of that but traffic on the W/E's can be heavy for breif moments.

Have fun and ride safe:rider:
Road it today, and last Sat, and the thur before. There are a few sections that have no side entry points,, and several parts that you have to be a bit smarter on. Nothing wrong with the decreasing radius, off camber turns.. just as long as the guy behind you rides at least as well as you do. Watch for turning cars on the blind corners. And of course the worst part....it is a relatively short road
. :rider:

12mayride.jpg

Hey, Dumptruck, dunno if you'll get this, but I think if you're in Barton Creek, then you're just off of 2244 (Bee Caves Rd.)

You can head west on Bee Caves to 71, turn right, make your first left on to 3238 (nominall Hamilton Pool Rd.). From there you can make your way to 12 on to Wimberley, or stay on 3238 and it'll become 962 out to 281 near Round Mountain (I think). You can then turn left to get to 290 and muck around Johnson City, Fredricksburg, Blanco, Luckenbach, etc., or turn right on 281 to get to 71, for some nice sweepers back to Barton Creek.

Map of starting point, more/less.

Back