PDA

View Full Version : 7-23 Fannin county DS ride

Photojojo
07-23-2006, 09:28 PM
I posted a thread a few weeks back about doing another Fannin county dirt road ride. this would make the third time I had ventured to the land of James Walker Fannin, Jr whom Fannin county is named after. Ironically the original name for Fannin county was going to be independence fitting that in the month our nation celebrates its independence we choose Fannin county.

A few people expressed interest...a few expressed jealousy that I was riding yet again. In the end attendance would be dwindled down to three. Teeds was quick to join up since we had talked about riding the dirt of Fannin a few times. Hop, who was in on one of the previous Fannin rides came out on his street bike again to ride the first bit of the ride.

A phrase i am beginning to become more familiar with ...stands up at 8:00...was designated as the official start time. I left my house at 7:15 which should put me in Bonham with enough time to grab a bite and fill up. As i rolled up Tony was already there getting ready...I filled up and grabbed a Dr. Pepper and cream Cheese Muffin at the gas station to fuel up for the day.

While i was gone Hop showed up with his McDonald's breakfast. After a quick discussion ranging from mountain bikes to Moab to the days route we were off.

This ride was to serve as a shake down ride for a multi-day, mega mile West Texas ride coming up that Tony and I are going on, so I was loaded down with everything I am taking on the trip. Tony had his new Sweet Cheeks on his seat to test them out.

Just minutes out of Bonham...heck we may still have been in Bonham...we hit the first dirt of the day. We twisted around, Crossed the highway, got chased by dogs...you know the drill.

We hit FM1396 and Hop says his goodbyes to play on a little asphalt. Good thing Hop left at this point, things got a little interesting. The short version...we ended up driving through a couple of soy bean and peanut fields as well as someones driveway. We stop to talk to them briefly and they say the road we are following has not been there for 20 years. Guess the Garmin software is a little out of date. I mention to Tony that I'm glad it's just us two cause a group of 10 riders would surely draw a little more attention.

We stop for lunch in Honey Grove and talk about doing a little of the chaparral trail, an abandoned rail that has had the track taken up. We leave Honey Grove and soon enter Lamar county...where there be beavers. We are scootin right along down a pretty nice two track road and all of a sudden there is a large tree across the road.

Upon closer inspection we see that the tree was downed by a beaver. No big deal Tony and I are real adventure riders so we just wheelie over the tree and are on our way....well actually we find a way around it...but that doesn't matter cause just past the tree the bridge is out and it is straight down and deep so we back track.

http://chrisjennings.smugmug.com/photos/83485105-M.jpg

http://chrisjennings.smugmug.com/photos/83484965-M.jpg

My guess is the tree has been down for some time.

We try and hit some of the Chaparral trail rail line but most of it is short lived as we hit fences land owners have put up. I had heard you get all the way to Paris on this line but apperantly not.

http://chrisjennings.smugmug.com/photos/83484326-M.jpg

Tony taking a picture off the side of one of the bridges. It was pretty high, not a spot you want to loose your balance at.

http://chrisjennings.smugmug.com/photos/83485299-M.jpg

don't fall...

http://chrisjennings.smugmug.com/photos/83485429-M.jpg

More 90 degree turns on gravel/dirt roads through Lamar county and we find ourselves next to a cometary that is completely overgrown and has small wooden headstones. We get off and tony takes a couple of pictures.

http://chrisjennings.smugmug.com/photos/83484517-M.jpg

There are headstones out there and if you look closely you can see Tony taking a picture.

I notice one of the lugs missing off my rear tire is starting to show some cord so the decision is made to cut the ride a little short. Despite that fact it was a good ride and I found out some info I needed to know about some of the roads in Fannin county.

Any way it was 160 or so miles in 7 hours at a somewhat spirited pace that made for a fantastic day. Is it August yet?

dbdolan
07-24-2006, 08:49 PM
Good stuff, your report makes me want to go exploring the dirt side:borg:

Teeds
07-25-2006, 12:34 AM
Brian: It was great fun. I will post up some photos ASAP. When Chris shakes out his camera I pay close attention. I have been shot everything in RAW, so I have to process it.

The funniest part was the dogs. They would tear off down the road barking and generally making a comotion after Chris and I would dodge them or roost 'em depending on their bravery.

Chris left out the part about the Sheriff's deputy...

Hop
07-25-2006, 08:02 PM
Brian: It was great fun. I will post up some photos ASAP. When Chris shakes out his camera I pay close attention. I have been shot everything in RAW, so I have to process it.

The funniest part was the dogs. They would tear off down the road barking and generally making a comotion after Chris and I would dodge them or roost 'em depending on their bravery.

Chris left out the part about the Sheriff's deputy...

The dog in that first driveway was funny. I watched him nibbling on your rear tire when we were stopped then he ran beside me for 100 yards or so.

What is this about a Deputy?

Teeds
07-25-2006, 10:03 PM
What is this about a Deputy?

After Chris discovered he had exposed chord on his rear tire, we decided to slab it back to Bonham. We rounded a corner coming into a small town and coming towards us was a Lamar County Deputy in a new Charger. I don't know why, but I knew it was a cop car long before I saw the low profile lights.

He slowed down quite a bit going by us and had his brake lights on for 50 or so feet after passing me. I expected him to flip a uwye and come stop us.