• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lightroom

Reaction score
If you were new to Lightroom would you purchase the download for Lightroom 6 or use the cloudbased version?

I am currently using a MacBook Air that does not have a ton of storage left available (especially since I have started playing with photography).

Jennifer

If it were me, I would buy 6 and an external hard drive. Then when you create your library with Lightroom you can just migrate everything to the external drive.

Technically, it is not a cloud based version. The same software gets installed on your computer, but the license check/registration is different. So it always runs locally. If you buy the perpetual license you get the base features of 6 and all patches and camera raw file updates. If you buy the CC version, it has all patches and camera raw updates and new features that constantly get released. So space used on the computer is the same for both versions. Difference is pay once for a fixed set of features or pay monthly/yearly for steady feature updates.

I use the CC version and pay yearly. I'm on a macbook air too. I split my files up. Current stuff stays on the internal storage, older stuff goes to my other computer and an external drive. If I only had the one computer, I'd just have the external drive for the laptop. Actually, I'd have two external. One as an Apple Time Machine backup disk (big) and another for archive photo storage. And I've have Time Machine backup both internal and archive disk. That way I always have two copies of the images I'm keeping.

Sorry, long answer. Feel free to email me if I brought up more questions than I answered. woodbutch4 at gmail

Thank you both for the input. I am backing up photos to an external hard drive and putting the ones I want to share on SmugMug. I probably need to go back and get rid of some of the early ones that didn't turn out as well.

I started playing with my external flash tonight :photo:

Jennifer

Get the SD card from ebay, they're a lot cheaper. You won't have the read/write speed of an SSD but great for additional storage.

Back