• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Give me some air!

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
I got a spare windshield for the Shadow with plans to cut vent(s) into it for use in the summer.

Q1. Maybe best for the 'wing riders: Is the central vent or the dual Vetter-style (aircraft snap-in) vents preferred? I tried to search some GWRRA sites but didn't find anything there.

Q2. For anyone who has cut a plastic windshield. Any tips?
I've read to cover the windshield with painter's tape and use a jigsaw, but what about blade TPI? Typically, blades rated for plastics are a medium-fine pitch. Too coarse/fast and it could tear/crack, too fine/slow and it melts. Of course, if I go with the Vetter-style vents, I would just use a hole saw.

Thanks.

I made a windshield out of Lexan and used a med/fine blade that worked fine in my jigsaw. It didn't cut as fast as I thought it would, but it did make it through it fine. I still had the production protective film on mine when I cut it, but I have heard of the masking tape trick.

I made pictures of the process and posted them up.
http://www.leavelles.net/2001_honda_vlx.htm

For cutting the vents I would recommend drilling holes in each corner before making the final cut. This will give you a nice radius-ed look and a good starting point for the saw blade. A 1/2" bit will give you a 1/4" radius - I would invest in a brad point bit or consider a forstner bit and go slow.... stay away from regular twist drill bits as these won't center worth a darn and often create irregular holes or chips.

I had a Gold Wing 1500 in around 1989 or so. It did not have a windscreen vent and I added it myself. If came out perfect. Here is how I did it.

- Measure like crazy with the screen on the bike!
- Use the provided templete to draw where the hole(s) are to be cut.
Use a "Sharpee" pen. They write in dark black and do no smear.
- Use masking tape to cover the area to be cut and a few additional inches.
- trace the cutline onto the masking tape with the Sharpee pen
- mask tape the other side of the screen (area the be cut)
- trace the cutline onto the masking tape
- use a Dremell tool with the grinder attachment that looks like a small drill bit.
- take your time.

It is pretty easy, but pretty scary.

I've got those louvered vent things that stick out around the faring. You can close 'em or open 'em and point the air flow where you want. Bolts to the faring. That works far better than any windshield vents I've ever had.

I've made windscreens, too, in the past. I cut 'em with the cut off wheel in my die grinder, worked great. You can also use a dremel if you have the time.

Back