• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lost Trail Ride

skinny

Reaction score
Here is an abreviated version of the Saturday ride. This should hold you until the rest of the bunch gets home and files their trip reports

100_0504.jpg

Gearing up at Terlingua Ranch Sat. morning

100_0512.jpg

Taking advantage of some shade at Rio Grand Village after riding the Ore Road

100_0513.jpg

Parking lot at Rio Grand Village, getting ready to hit the River Road

100_0518.jpg

Baja Rat taking a close look at the water quality on the River Road

100_0519.jpg

Soaking his feet in the cool water

100_0520.jpg

Sitting down to ponder the situation

100_0525.jpg

End of the day at Big Bend Ranch

100_0523.jpg

Main ranch house and office

100_0522.jpg

Several pooped dudes

100_0521.jpg

Baja Rat recounting his ordeal

Although I only had time to ride Saturday and part of Sunday, it was well worth the trip...

Glad you guy's had a good time and everyone came back in one piece. Keep the pics and reports coming.
Geeez have those leg's ever seen the sun? I thought my leg's were white:lol2:
100_0522.jpg

Seems like I have seen that orange bike on its side before, looks great, glad you all had a good time........................

Pictures look good. I have never seen that much green along the River Road in the park;....obviously a lot of rain. Actually, don't think I have ever seen that much standing water on the River Road either..... Hope all went well with you guys.

Don

Back from the world of the living ...

Got in this morning at 5 AM

I'm of to the doctor to have my shoulder xrayed ... more when I know what I did.

Chris took a hundred + photos with my camera. I will let him post links.

The Lost Trail was too muddy to even attempt. There are still only six members of the club.

1100 miles in 4 days ... I have a two page list of notes about multi day rides without support. Much was learned.

BajaRat said:

:rofl: :lol2: :rofl: :lol2: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
===========================================
Great ride got home at 1:30 this morning.

Day 1 - 263 miles
Day 2 - 239 miles
Day 3 - 249 miles
Day 4 - 331 miles, + more for 4 riders

But by the park mile markers my odo is a tad slow. The park markers were irregular at times. It was a boring ride thru the park.

1 stripped rear sprocket
+1 50% gone in last 20 miles.

All in all:
-1) :chug: :sleep:
1) :rider: :eat: :chug: :mrgreen: :rofl: :sleep:
2) :eat: :rider: :eat: :rofl: :chug: :sleep:
3) :eat: :rider: :flip: :eat: :rofl: :chug: :sleep:
4) :eat: :rider: :eat: :rofl: :chug: :sleep:
:mrgreen: :rofl: :-D :-) :wave: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Last edited:
Yo XR650Rocketman...

Sorry I didn't get a chance to say so-long to everyone Sunday, but I was pressed for time...thanks for allowing me to tag along...except for the 2nd water hole, I had an outrageousley good time. Thanks again to you and Iron Dawg for extricating my motorcycle from the GULLIES FROM ****...I guess I better start getting in shape for Mexico if I'm going to run with the big dogs.....

Home@ 8:30a.m.....300+ miles on 2 wheels and 800 on 4 in 24 hrs.:eek2:

Great ride fellas, had a great time...great guys,great country,great ride,lots of laughs. Couldn't ask for much more.

Thanks for letting me come along...Ken, I still owe ya' a couple of cold ones...:chug:

Chris...thanks for helping with the drive.

Hope to do it again.:thumb:

Matt

Report:giveup: .......Report:giveup: .........Report:giveup: ...........Report:giveup: ..........Report:giveup: ............Report:giveup: ............Report:giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup:

You often here the saying It's not about the destination, it's about the ride in motorcycling. That's usually true but when the ride is the destination it's a little different. The plan was 4 days and well over 1000 miles in some of the most beautiful country in Texas.

The ride started for me at an early hour so I could get to Tony's house and help him change his tire and license plate. All was well until I hit Allen, TX and traffic started backing up. At first I felt contempt for those that were slowing my progress. Then I felt sorry for them as they were stuck in there cages like mice going to work, only to repeat the process all over again when it was time to go home.

I on the other hand was completely self supportive on my XR I could go for days without sitting in a cage and that was the plan.

Tony and I finished the maintenance on his bike and hit the road with Pandale, Texas as the destination and the starting point for our adventure.

90106793-M.jpg

The thermometer in Tony's truck shows 101 degrees as we travel southwest from Dallas. When plans were made for a trip to what many say is the hottest part of the state in the hottest part of the year some said we were crazy. To those in the know, we were planning an escape.

90107036-M.jpg

Wet concrete served as a sign of things to come as the area we were heading into had more rain in the last few weeks than most can remember. This would turn out to be good for us as the scenery was greener than any can remember.

90107165-M.jpg

lights from the truck light up the road but hide the change in scenery as we slowly ventured from west Texas flat to the rolling terrain marking the entry into a different type of terrain that many in Texas do not even know exists as they travel down superslabs with their blinders on.

52 deer were counted on the 30 mile or so stretch between Ozona and Camp Easy in Pandale. We soon found the cabins at Camp easy beds were claimed and everybody slept.

More to come.....

ta2240 said:
snip ... Report:giveup: ... snip

Dang voyeurs ... maybe we won't even post a report ... ya should have been there ... :haha:

Not that anyone asked ...

No broken bones ... still can't lift my arm more than 6 inches from my waist.

90108395-M.jpg

Day one started early with everybody out of bed just before sunrise. It would be a long trek to Terlingua Ranch and we had no idea what road conditions would be like through Big Bend so we needed to get on the road.

90107695-M.jpg

Ken sorts through gear in our spacious cabin at Camp Easy. After Steve woke everybody up just before 6:00 a.m we started the process of getting geared up and ready to roll as quickly as possible. The first night everybody still had extra gear that would be left at the trucks parked at Camp Easy for the duration of the adventure.
90107923-M.jpg

Each day we were greeted by beautiful early morning skies that served as a small reward for having to get up so early. Most of the bikes started the trip with brand new tires put on by their riders in anticipation of the mega mileage trip. At the end on day four just about every body's tires...among other things were visibly worn.

90108188-M.jpg

John and Ken rush around in the early morning hours adjusting bikes and fitting on enough gear to sustain them for the four day adventure. Getting ready in the dark was something we would all get used to over the course of the trip. The early mornings would also serve as a mental prep time for what was guaranteed to be hard riding at times. Stories of huge rocks and wash outs provided by those that had done these same roads and locals that rarely travelled the roads because of the ruggedness forced us all to be on alert at all times.

90108770-M.jpg

John was on a fairly new bike and did not know what his exact range was for his bike. Running out of gas on this trip would not be a good option, and with a few legs of the trip pushing the limit on just about every body's bike he bought some extra fuel bottles. These were the kind used to cary cooking fuel on backpacking trips. After much discussion and summing up the size of Ken's 6 gallon tank on his XRValdeze it was decide to take another necessity that would be hard to acquire on the trail. So one fuel bottle was filled with Bourbon and the other with scotch. After the first day it would be needed.

More to come.....

Did I ever tell you that you took great pictures. Too bad you don't make money off of them.

Back