• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Caney Creek National Enduro

Reaction score
Was running the national yesterday in SHNF (Sunday 8/27) saw 3-4 green KLR's waiting on a forest road for us cut across around 10AM, anyone from here? Great day for a ride.

Larry_77084 said:
Me and Earthpilot were on our green KLRs watching the racers cross a road.

Yep you guys were the ones I saw, wanted to stop by but was in a hurry at that point, riding a KX250.

letsride said:
Yep you guys were the ones I saw, wanted to stop by but was in a hurry at that point, riding a KX250.

We were going to wave our big cardboard #1 fingers for you as you passed but we were afraid of slicing your arm open.

Larry & I are heading to Colorado Friday with the KLR's for 7 days of riding UP there - how about a ride report from that trip instead?

L0weed said:
We gonna see a ride report?
Here an unprofessional report for ya

Man o man, what a ride. Scott and I got to camp around 3 or so Sat afternoon, got registered and drove back to Huntsville to check in for the night. Everyone knows how important it is to get hydrated and stay hydrated in this heat prior to an enduro. We wasted no time and started working on it at 4PM sharp. By 8PM realized that the beer was not tasting good anymore so we promptly staggered to the neighboring El Chico's and changed the hydration menu to margaritas Wakie up call was 6AM, got to riders meeting on time with tongue hanging and a mighty hangover. Met Amber, Don, Boomy aka Robby. Robby was a race official today and helped hauling gas to the designated gas stops + performed other race offiaciating duties. Had helped mark trails in the previous days.

It was mega humid just as Robby had warned again and again, I sweated a ton before the race started. We get underway, there were some mega fast guys at this event, an AMA National. There was sand, whoops and roots turning left, sand and whoops and roots turning right then some more sand, whoops and roots turning left and right in 100% humidity or close to it. All the trails were in thick forest and you know what that means, TREES everywhere

Scott was gone, dude is fast, I merilly chugged along, the KX was working perfect, knee hanging in there and everything going better than planned. Pass 4 checks, I am steadily getting behind but in no danger of houring out so decide not change anything and go steady. Gas1 comes along, Robby is there helping Amber, she hands a cool towel over to me, then I realize that we are completely covered with dust and gratefully wipe face/neck. Grab the mandatory smoke with Robby, he gasses up my bike (thanks dude, you saved me precious strength) and off we go again. I am not cramping which is a good feeling but my ankles are getting heavier and loosing feeling which is making shifting and braking torture, then I realize that I made a last minute adjustment in the morning and tightened that buckles/straps of my boots, well it was a dumb***** move and I had been starving the poor ankles of circulation since the last 28 miles. Stop and re-adjust, relief. Keep going through the remaining checks and finally hit the last one, whew, I was whooped. 50 miles was all I could take in this heat/humidity, imagine the A riders, they had to go a 100 miles! Found out that camp was a good 10 miles or so from the finish line. Hoped that I would make it on gas, it happens and we're home, whew again.

Amber got 1st place, she is winning every race she enters and pretty soon we'll see her on TV. Don got second and I got 5th, all different classes. As this was an AMA National event, they were awarding trophies to 6 places, got a cool plaque to show for it. Off to bed now to sleep for a week.

Dang man! I live two blocks from El Chico! I wish I had known you guys were all in town!

I'm glad they had a nice cool weekend for the event. I would have hated to here they had to hold it on a humid day or with a hot and humid day. :lol2:

letsride said:
Here an unprofessional report for ya

Professional or not, good report. I forgot about the race until it was too late to come out there so I just stayed at the house and finished BBQing for supper. You need to come back and ride when the weather is a little better.

Scott I had no idea you lived in Huntsville (thought you were in Houston), would have been great to see you after so long.

Hemibee, yes the weather was surprisingly mild for the time of year, even rained a little after the event. The trails were good and it was a fun event. We rode Red River a few times this summer when the temp was 107F no wind, could not get more than 25 miles without getting dizzy and if someone wiped out on a technical climb it was a nightmare after getting the bike upright and pointed in the right direction. Boomhauer (Robby) with the Fart Fart (Gas Gas) 300 moved to Houston and rode at Outlaw Trax, he really likes the place and is going to join.

Back