PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the right bucket...

Mustang
04-18-2004, 01:21 PM
Ok.. I've been looking around at helmets these days. I started out with a Fulmer Modus AF-M full-face flip-open helmet which I currently still use. I'm sure Fulmer makes some nice stuff, but this is not one of them... perhaps I'm expecting too much for under $200. *shrugs* I am constantly popping the side covers and tightening the screws sot he face doesn't fall... and it's WAY noisey.. and whistles something fierce.

Anyway, this has led me to start looking. I wore a Shoei Syncrotec that a friend had the other day. WOW.. what a difference... very comfortable.. and the mechanics were great.. it was quieter, but not terrible much more so, but it didn't whistle. Perhaps that is something indigineous to the flip-open styles?

I found a new one in the RiderWarehouse catalog.. the Jarow X2. This is one of the cooler helmets I've seen... and after seeing the site and reading what was there.. I'm impressed.

Jarow Helmets (http://www.jarow-helmets.com/)

Review of the Jarrow X2 @ webBikeWorld (http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/jarow/mono-x2/index.htm)

Should I be? Help this poor noob not be sucked in by the flash. *grins* Anyone here have any experience with the Jarow X2... or know anything about it? Your advise would be greatly appreciate.. as I'm thinking seriously about buyign one of these.

BTW - I'm not stuck on the flip-open's but they are a lot easier when you wear glasses. Any other suggestions for helmets would be appreciated... as long as you can get your glasses on and off with them.. I just got a rider on my license this year, so I have to wear them. grrrrr

Thanks folks!

buck000
04-18-2004, 03:31 PM
BTW - I'm not stuck on the flip-open's but they are a lot easier when you wear glasses. Any other suggestions for helmets would be appreciated... as long as you can get your glasses on and off with them.. I just got a rider on my license this year, so I have to wear them. grrrrr

My strategy was to get a nice FF helmet, and buy new glasses (titanium bendable to the max types)... 8-)

I have to admit my Shoei (Z-II) seems noisy, but it's conspiring with the windblast over my RST's shield, anyway... :-|

Kidder
04-18-2004, 07:37 PM
The right helmet is the one that fits. Period.

Chirpy
04-18-2004, 08:18 PM
Here's my current fav (http://www.helmetshop.com/items.asp?CartID=10403897CLIFH-ACCWARE-73&cc=CL14&tpc=) It has an oversize eyeport and it's very easy to get my glasses on. In my Simpson it can take about 20 minutes :-?

I was going to get a flip for the street, but none fit my Leno-esqe chin attached to my oversize spaceship head. LoneStar BMW sold me my CL14 for about the same as mail-order. I'm probably going to go buy another one for a track helmet.

My 2,

Daryl

John Bennett
09-13-2004, 03:58 PM
I'm thinking of getting a Nolan N100.

They seem very solid and well-built considering they only cost ~$210

http://www.helmetharbor.com/estore/products.cfm?SeriesID=Nolan N100E Classic Plus

I've heard many good things about them.

Tx Rider
09-13-2004, 04:28 PM
I've heard good things about the Nolan as well.

I got a Shoei Xeleven as I heard it was quiet, It fits well, their visor snap in/on is awesome (can swap visors with gloves on and helmet on) it doesn't seem so quiet to me but it fits good and has a removeable liner.

BeemerDude
09-14-2004, 11:28 PM
I have a Nolan N100E that I like very much except for the "roll factor" because of my head shape. In other words, I could roll it forward and almost remove it without unbuckling the chin strap. This is NOT a desireable characteristic of any helmet, but it's not the N100E's fault. It's just because of the way my head's shaped. The helmet has a beautiful finish and is well-made. It also tested well compared to other flip-ups. It's not the quietest thing in the world. It has a removeable liner. When I was shopping I sent the folks at CIMA International (Nolan's US importer) an email requesting some info. They were really helpful and responded well to emails and mailed me a really nice glossy full-line brochure (maybe just to get me off their backs!!).

I used to have the original "BMW System Helmet" back in the 80's. It was actually made by Schuberth and boy was that baby quiet!! I could hear myself breath and sometimes felt a little starved for oxygen in it with the chin curtain in place!!! It was almost airtight. I think it was one of the first flip-ups if not THE first made. I would love a new Shuberth Concept, but the $425 price tag is a bit out of my reach.

Since the Nolan's tendency to roll forward really started bothering me I went to a Shoei RF-1000 this year and I like it very much. I do wish the liner was removable but I have found a way to adequately de-stinkify it while it is in the helmet. It's a bit quieter than the Nolan. And boy howdy are faceshield changes slick (I can do it in 30 seconds...and yes I have timed myself)!! I really miss the convenience of a flip-up helmet at red lights and gas stops, though.

Right now Arizona Motorsports has some closeout Schuberth Concepts in red or blue for $199. I have never seen them that cheap. Too bad I have a green bike. The link is http://store.azmusa.com/schesppupr.html

Judge Dredd
09-22-2004, 08:50 PM
I have an Arai Quantum F, and I love it. As for helmet noise, I've been riding with earplugs for a while now.

Dragwn
11-15-2004, 07:12 AM
Shoei RF1000, even with my dog ears, it's the smoothest most comfortable lid I've had in 18yrs riding, it weighs in at 3.14 lbs for a sz L. Almost no buffeting, vents as well as my Arai did, and has replacable cheekpads for a better fit, Cycle Gear changed the pads when I bought it until I found a set that made the helmet "perfect", not cheap, but then the only thing they haven't found a metal replacement for is our noggin, and I'm not looking to be a veggie tale because I didn't get a good fit as well as safety.

Adan
11-15-2004, 09:27 AM
the Jarow X2. This is one of the cooler helmets I've seen... and after seeing the site and reading what was there.. I'm impressed.

Should I be? Help this poor noob not be sucked in by the flash. *grins* Anyone here have any experience with the Jarow X2... or know anything about it? Your advise would be greatly appreciate.. as I'm thinking seriously about buyign one of these.

I have to wear glasses all the time, and I've been using a Nolan N100 for the last five years, I've liked the Jarow X2 and it's integrated tinted shade ever since it was anounced a couple of years ago.

The good folks at Motoliberty in Dallas finally got some last year and I purchased one. I was mostly very happy with it, but after a few hours of riding it gave me very bad headaches. It somehow applied too much pressure to the very top of my head. I think there was a round hard-foam piece at the top center of the helmet that pressed my head in just the wrong spot.

I finally had to give it up and go back to the Nolan. The good news (for me) is that Nolan is coming out with an external tinted shade that will be backward compatible with the old N100 :clap

The folks from Motoliberty in Dallas always bring out tons of inventory to the Dallas Motorcycle show and I'm almost certain they would have these helments on hand for you to try out. Show is this weekend!!! :-) Can't think of a better excuse to come out and check it out!!

As it has been said before, the best helmet is the one the fits you best and you wear all the time, even on that short quarter-mile trip to the gas station!

Texas T
01-01-2005, 07:10 PM
For those thinking about a Nolan N100e, they have released the N101e with a built-in retractable sunshade. The guys in Singapore did a mass order on them and seem to like them (do a google) but I haven't seen it for sale in the US yet. It appears it was released sometime around the middle of 2004.

http://www.nolan.it/caschi/Presentazione/N101.pdf

TexasFatBoy
01-03-2005, 04:55 PM
I just have to echo the comments about the Nolan. I've had one for about three or four years now (but I only go full-face when it's really cold out in the mornings). The only complaint I've ever had with the N100 was that you need both hands to flip it up. I've seen some others with the latch centered on the chin bar that could be opened with one hand which would be easier if you try to talk to someone you pull up next to and still wanna keep the bike in gear or need to hold the brake on a hill. Other than that minor design issue, I'd highly recommend the Nolan for the price.

Mer
01-03-2005, 05:28 PM
IThe only complaint I've ever had with the N100 was that you need both hands to flip it up. I've seen some others with the latch centered on the chin bar that could be opened with one hand which would be easier if you try to talk to someone you pull up next to and still wanna keep the bike in gear or need to hold the brake on a hill. Other than that minor design issue, I'd highly recommend the Nolan for the price.The new Nolan's can be opened with just one latch. (although they still have 2) Smooth as silk too! :-D I'm on my 2nd Nolan.

TexasFatBoy
01-03-2005, 05:48 PM
IThe only complaint I've ever had with the N100 was that you need both hands to flip it up. I've seen some others with the latch centered on the chin bar that could be opened with one hand which would be easier if you try to talk to someone you pull up next to and still wanna keep the bike in gear or need to hold the brake on a hill. Other than that minor design issue, I'd highly recommend the Nolan for the price.The new Nolan's can be opened with just one latch. (although they still have 2) Smooth as silk too! :-D I'm on my 2nd Nolan.

If they've fixed that little flaw, then I'd recommend them without hesitation! Thanks for the updated info. :chug:

Dragwn
01-04-2005, 02:21 PM
I've been wearing a Shoei RF1000 for almost a year now, since they came out with the 1000, and for a full face, it beats my Arai Quantum hands down, but if Shoei doesn't fit well for ya, it's mute right?
On the Flip-Up Side, I just bought a Schuberth Concept from Jing on the forum, it was red and the price was right :mrgreen: You have to take off your glasses to pull it on, with the shin bar up, not so big a deal since I had been wearing full face anyway.
500-1000 Mile report on the Schuberth : Behind my tall clearview screen it is not too noisy, I expect some noise being a flip up. You can do a de-mist with just the front vent, or by sliding the shield forward (handy feature), it is abit quieter than having the shield up with it forward, but just as much air...also, no bugs :mrgreen: The slide down integrated tinted shield insert works well, and doesn't obscure the lower half so your gauges are clear to read. It locks into place easily if you pull down on each side with your hand, don't try to slam it shut...doesn't work.

I'll ride in the rain with it today, so that will be answered. It is stable even in cross winds, and triple digit speeds. I can't tell wether or not the top vent works, which is not a good sign. All around though..it will be my lid of choice now, until summer hits and I find out how it works in the heat, since it has the neck skirt.

Vio
01-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Ive found KBC helmets to be very nice. I had a VR 7 (wolf) with was very comfortable but no tall to stable. It had an easy to change face shield and was o kon the noise factor. I currectly have the VR1 and I cant say enough good things about it. It light, comfortable, has a removable/washable liner. The ear pads come out and a set of small ear phones fit in them very nicely. The looks of the helemt are great and they have a good assortment of differnet colored shields avaible. I live in texas and it get HOT here. The vent could be a tad better but it is by no means bad or inadequite. Down here no matter what helemt you have your gonna sweat. I like it a lot. out of hte 3 lids Ive had( KBC VR7, VR1, Fulmer AF-S7) its been the best so far. I paid I think 250 with shipping but I domnt remember where that was. Hope this helps.

Later

Vio
Matt L.

STrider
01-05-2005, 09:00 AM
My KBC (VR-1) is very comfortable, and ironically, the dark chrome finish (on the helmet, not the faceshield (see below)) is actually more durable than regular painted helmets I have had.

scratch
01-05-2005, 09:26 AM
That KBC VR-1 looks pretty nice. HelmetShop.com is advertising the solid colors for $138.00 right now.

STrider
01-05-2005, 09:53 AM
If you do go for the KBC, do NOT buy the chrome faceshield. Has anyone seen my chrome one? It looks a lot like my clear one, because it IS!

Salesman said "be careful, the chrome shield can scratch kinda easy" I thought, "ok, Ill be careful when I clean it" On the way home from the shop, largish bug commits suicide dead center. Using water, soft cloth, and very light pressure, removed bug parts, then noticed smear in newly cleaned area. On closer inspection, noted that smear was actually chrome tint wiped away!! :angryfir: Since tint was wasted, and since smear significantly dreceased see-throughedness, removed rest of the tint in only about 15 minutes using same cloth, water, and light pressure.

The chrome does not just "scratch kinda easy", it freakin wipes off!! That was an extra $40 for that shield, wasted.

Bill J. from Austin
01-05-2005, 10:34 AM
The only complaint I've ever had with the N100 was that you need both hands to flip it up. I've seen some others with the latch centered on the chin bar that could be opened with one hand which would be easier....
After asking around, here and at ADV Riders, I chose an HJC CL-Max flip-face, which has the one-handed latch FatBoy describes. Haven't had an opportunity to wear it yet, but in the store I could get it on and off with my glasses in place, and the latch operation was smooth and easy. With a 20% coupon, I paid $140 TT&L at Lone Star in Austin.

phuzz
01-20-2005, 10:06 AM
Any of you all try or know of any feedback on the Schuberth S1?

http://www.schuberth.com/s1/index3.htm

I realize it is pricey at around $600, but a Shoei I was looking at
was $450+, and the S1 has a few additions that help offset the
exorbitant price, if that's possible. :shock:

I bought a Bell full face, but its vents are so noisy (earsplitting)
over 45 MPH that I had to put duct tape over them. Ultimately,
earplugs are the solution to helmet noise, but also want something
comfortable & cool for longer trips. The S1's internal sun visor, I
think, would just be too handy!

bluedogok
01-20-2005, 10:26 AM
There was another thread (http://www.twtex.com/viewtopic.php?t=1474) about helmets where I posted this info about a flip-front test.

Here is a test on those helmets done by Motorcycle Cruiser magazine in the April 2003 issue: Seven Flip-Face Motorcycle Helmets Compared (http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/fliphelmets/). They tested the Arrow Mono Convertible, HJC Symax, Lazer Century, Nolan N100, Schuberth Concept, Shoei Syncrotec, and Zeus ZS-508.

Tourmeister
01-20-2005, 11:58 PM
Howdy Phuzz, welcome to the forum. Dang Scott, you beat me to it! I was gonna tell him about that article! Makes me want the Shoei...

Adios,

Squeaky
01-21-2005, 01:23 AM
Scott, you just got a new one, how can you want another new one already???

EricJRW
01-22-2005, 04:58 PM
I have and like the Nolan N100E. I bought one for my wife, but she did not like it due to the weight. She went for a Shoei (RF-900, non-flip) instead.

The Nolan does seem a bit loud to me, but to be honest I have nothing to compare it to. It's my first helmet in 10 years (I have not been riding in that time either). And yes, it now has one-hand operation and a buckle-style strap (no d-ring if you use that to lock your helmet to your bike).

You might want to check www.cyclegear.com (many stores in DFW/Texas) as they have a "NO HASSLE 30-DAY HELMET EXCHANGE" (http://www.cyclegear.com/nohassle.cfm) policy.

ps. Great review article - thanks!

Texas T
01-22-2005, 08:20 PM
You might want to check www.cyclegear.com (many stores in DFW/Texas) as they have a "NO HASSLE 30-DAY HELMET EXCHANGE" (http://www.cyclegear.com/nohassle.cfm) policy. Cycle Gear doesn't carry the Nolan in the stores or on the web site but they will order it for you. I think the price was $234.

I ordered from The Helmet Shop in Daytona FL last night. The N100E was $180 including shipping and no sales tax. I'll let you know what their service is like once I get the helmet in case I have to return it for a size swap. I've got about a 23 1/4 head and their site said I should order the Large while most other helmets are XL for that size head. We'll see.

We need a FAT HEAD smilie. :-D

Squeaky
01-22-2005, 08:28 PM
We need a FAT HEAD smilie. :-D

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/sehrgrosse/large-smiley-004.gif

Texas T
01-22-2005, 09:06 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah ha ha ha....

:mrgreen: