• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Introducing...R1150GSRider

Reaction score
Howdy yall,
Well my brother (Chris - mrr1150gs) got me hooked on riding again with our trip to Louisiania this past Spring Break. He and I switched off between his VFR and GS at every fillup. I liked both bikes and was looking for something in between. This had me looking at Sport Touring bikes, e.g Honda ST1300, Aprilia Futura, etc. Chris told me about the great time he had at Big Bend last year and convinced me to get a GS. So I finally took the plunge and picked up a 2004 R1150GS from Lone Star BMW in Austin.

Me on the new bike...
http://home.earthlink.net/~r1150gsrider/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/r1150gsrider-7.jpg

Background
I'm just getting back in to motorcycling after a 18 year hiatus. I got my motorcycle license at age 15 and had a Yamaha DT100 enduro. Mostly rode it on the street but did some trail riding.

The next bike I had during college was a Honda 500 Twin. While this was plenty of bike for running between classes at TAMU, it created a numbing sensation on the long rides. I rode it with the gang from Rosenberg to Uvalde once and had to stop several times to get the feeling back in the rear.

The next one was a Honda CB750F. This as a great bike and could easily pull the front wheel off the pavement with a little extra gas.

While attending TAMU I found an MSF instructor course and actually became an MSF instructor. What a great course.

Now...
I currently live in Austin and the Hill Country west of Austin has called me to get a bike for the last 5 years.

Since getting the GS I have done a couple of rides around Austin. I especially like the Volente / Lime Creek Road. I live about 1 mile from Volente/Anderson Mill Rd intersection and so I rode it up to 1431 and back. It's funny how a road can be so good for two wheeling and so lousy in the car.

Other pics of the bike
http://home.earthlink.net/~r1150gsrider/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/r1150gsrider-8.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~r1150gsrider/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/r1150gsrider-9.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~r1150gsrider/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/r1150gsrider-10.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~r1150gsrider/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/r1150gsrider-11.jpg

Nearterm goodies on order
- Wunderlich Crash Bars
- PIAA 1100XT Driving lights (for dark roads and daytime "presence")
- Aerotech Roadcrafter Two Piece riding suit

Daydreaming goodies
- Garmin GPS (still looking at Streetpilot III, 2610/2620)
- Low-beam "augmentation" driving lights I can leave on all the time.

Sorry for the lengthy introduction...I look forward to getting some saddle time and joining in on a group ride with some of you soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the new GS. I look forward to seeing it and riding with you.

Link to pics don't work. Yahoo doesn't seem to allow external linking to their images. Here is a good source for image hosting:

www.smugmug.com

Reasonable prices.

Adios,

I have been out or town, so that is my excuse. I mean for your own brother not to welcome you to the site looks pretty bad.

Hope you can hook up with some of the Austin folks and get out an ride.

Like I tell everyone, or try to anyway, after you get used to the bike, consider taking the ERC course. Just to reinforce what you know and tell you what you don't know.

As for posting the pictures, you could also just put them on your web site and put a link to them. Ask me, I haven't posted a picture since I have been on this site....

Ask me, I haven't posted a picture since I have been on this site....

You know... I have been meaning to nag you about that! Pics of the Scary Canary are in order!! :-P

Adios,

I think the pictures are working now... Let me know if they aren't.

I still need to get the avatar fixed.

Just in case you're wondering, previously I was trying to link to pictures in my Yahoo Briefcase. I opened access to everyone, but the URLs to the pics are only temporary. They want you to hit the briefcase folder everytime I guess to prevent linking to the content from a website (like this).

If the new pictures work let me know what you think of the bike.

Pics work! That thing is entirely too clean!! :eek: Get thee to a dirt road and take care of that! Hook up with Irondawg sometime. He knows every dirt/gravel road out in your area. Just remind him to slow down and wait for you on occasion :lol:

Adios,

Get thee to a dirt road and take care of that! Hook up with Irondawg sometime. He knows every dirt/gravel road out in your area. Just remind him to slow down and wait for you on occasion

I've decided to wait until I get the crash bar installed and get more acquaintance time with the bike before I take on the dirt and gravel. I'm scheduled to get crash bar installed at 600m service. I'm currently at 200m. I may take a ride to the Woodland this weekend if the forecast changes.

I would eventually like to go to Big Bend. I've been reading about the packing list on the other threads.

r1150gsrider said:
It's funny how a road can be so good for two wheeling and so lousy in the car.

This is an old post I know but I have to comment.

You just need the right car and it can be just as fun.
Too bad I can't afford that car.

Back