• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New from Spring/Klein

Linh

Reaction score
Hi all,

Been lurking for quite awhile, decided to post. I'm from Spring, TX. This is my third year riding, maybe 10K miles worth. My first bike was a 2002 R1 (yes that was dumb), put ~5K miles on it without incident, started to commute to work and found it just too much for 2 hour round trip commutes. Traded it for a 2003 Buell XB9S that was sitting outside the Yamaha dealer, loved that little bike. Thought it was THE bike for me since I was so comfortable on it, felt like a self-powered BMX. I would have kept that bike forever but after hearing/reading so many horror stories about Buell/Harley reliability issues, decided to sell it before the warranty period ran out. Just purchased an immaculate, low miles 2001 VFR. The rear tires looked a little worn, so I went ahead and replaced both F/R with the Metzler Z6s. Not being mechanically minded and not having any tools, I drove the bike into Motorcycles Unlimited and had them mount/balance the tires, total cost with tax was ~$90, which I guess is reasonable. I've been riding it pretty easy with the new tires, any suggestions for "scrubbing in" would be appreciate.

Thanks,

Linh

I would just be careful with the tires for about 100 miles. You can lean the bike, just don't try dragging your knees.

Welcome to the site. I love my Y2k VFR. Now that Scott has gone to the dark side, the site may start shifting more to the ADV side of life. Won't be long and everyone will be taking their pictures with the three finger salute.

:tab Bah... I rode the 01 VFR to work yesterday and today! I still need the zoom fix that the GS cannot provide. :twisted: I am not a big fan of the ADV salute so don't hold your breath waiting for those pics ;-)

:tab All you have to worry about on the new tires is being careful with the throttle. You can lean them. That is afterall how they eventually get scrubbed in. But when you are leaned, don't whack the snot out of the throttle exiting corners. Don't jab the brakes, mid corner or in a straight line. Otherwise, ride like normal.

:tab I still have most of the tools and gadgets needed to work on VFR's. I can also help you do tires and teach you how to do them yourself. It really is not that big of a deal and will save you a lot of money if you do very many miles like I do. I was installing a set of tires about every three months or so, if not more. The $90 Patrick charged is very reasonable, but it adds up quick for someone like me. If you want to bleed/change the brake/clutch fluids, new chain, or anything short of adjusting the valves, give me a holler.

:tab Welcome to the site and congrats on the new bike! :dude:

Awesome thanks for the welcome guys. Sooner or later I'm going to take you up on the offer as I'd love to be able to do the simple things myself. Thanks again for a fantastic and helpful site, hopefully I can join you guys sometime for one of the "forest" rides.

Linh

Welcome! As a fellow VFR rider (04 model), I think you will be very happy with it! You even put the tires on that I am thinking of buying when the time comes. My in-laws are in Houston (Jersey Village area) so hopefully we can meet up and ride while the wife visits!

Scott: Man, when the time comes, I'm gonna have to take you up on that maintenance offer. I do my own wrenching on my vehicles, but it makes it MUCH nicer if I have someone to show me first.

If you have some sort of hand held sander (not a belt sander) than you can scrub your tires all over with 100 grit sand paper to get rid of the mold release agent. You can do it by hand too, but thats a tedious process.

Hmm... I spose that will work. I have seen other people talk about it. More fun to just go out and do it the old fashioned way... ride ;-)

Adios,

is it bad in 2 months of riding i've put 10k on my bike... i think im gonna break it before i pay it off :P

btw welcome to the board =)

Back