• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Having Sinus Surgery Tomorrow

Reaction score
First Name
Kim
I'm not necessarily in need of prayers, but I'm off to Harris SW tomorrow morning at 9:30am to have sinus surgery, so if you could send good thoughts my way, it would be much appreciated.

I'm a little nervous...just a little :doh: :giveup:

Unrelated to the accident a while back? I hope everything goes well and you have a quick recovery! Please keep us updated.

Tourmeister said:
Unrelated to the accident a while back? I hope everything goes well and you have a quick recovery! Please keep us updated.

Yep, it's unrelated to the accident....I haven't been able to breathe out of my right nostril for years, haha :mrgreen:

wonder91178 said:
I'm not necessarily in need of prayers,
This, however, is the PR section, so that is what you are getting! :-P

God speed. Will you have to stay overnight or is it outpatient?

Gilk51 said:
This, however, is the PR section, so that is what you are getting! :-P

Well....there wasn't a "good thoughts" forum :-P

It's outpatient...I have to be there 2 hours before, 1 hour of surgery, and 2 hours after, then I get to go home.

I've already told the doc, I don't want one big nostril :lol2:

I also told him to do a good job, and don't kill me....ya know...I don't ask much.

I'll remember you in prayer, I find that works better then just thinking about people ;)

Also, I subscribe to the theory that there is no MINOR surgery :eek:

Gilk51 said:
This, however, is the PR section, so that is what you are getting!

tx-vfr said:
I'll remember you in prayer, I find that works better then just thinking about people ;)

Also, I subscribe to the theory that there is no MINOR surgery :eek:

Got to agree with both of the above but will go one further. Will have the good thoughts for you later after the prayer............... :sun:

*UPDATE*

Kim had a heckuva day. We first got to the hospital just a tick after 9am. She was the scaredest I have ever seen her. Of course that's to be expected when all you know is that a Doctor is going to be removing material from your skull/nose/etc. through your nostrils.....material that you were born with.

We were whisked away to the pre-op prep room by about 9:15. They started an I.V. saline drip and had her slip into one of those super stylish "breezeway" robes. Of course, the nurse was unable to get the I.V. started on the first shot.....something was muttered about rhino-like skin and rolling veins. They wrapped her arms with toasty-fresh-from-the-oven blankets and gave it another whirl after a while. As luck would have it, the anesthesiologist wandered in to ask his series of questions and was suckered into administering the 18g I.V.

She was finally rolled out to surgery at or about 1:30pm. She was slated for an 11:30am chop job. At 1:40 I was messaged that she was under and they had begun surgery. Shortly before 3:00pm I met with the surgeon so he could discuss the surgery with me. Everything went well, but he did say that he was surprised by the thickness of bone and the lack of opening to her sinus cavities. He said due to her abnormal bone growth, horribly deviated septum, overly large turbinates, etc. that he was forced to remove an inordinate amount of material. I informed him that we expect nothing less than abnormal from Kim. He also mentioned that she should have had this surgery done about ten years ago.

Approximately 4:45pm they called me back to see Kim in recovery. She was in quite a lot of pain and scared by all the blood that had come out of her nose. The doc prescribed Ketek(antibiotic) and surgical M&M's(Lortab 500mg). She's also got to spray Afrin up her nose every 6 hours for the 3-5 days to help the bleeding subside. On top of that she has to spray saline in her nose ten times daily and apply nasal saline gel to the inside of her nose every evening. She's going to be one hurting unit for a few days.

On the bright side, her appetite for comfort foods such as candy corn, chocolate milk, Spaghetti-O's, and strawberry ice cream has not suffered any. :mrgreen: She's definitely been through the wringer and looks as if she's had the stuffing kicked out of her. The surgery was the easy part, now comes the recovery. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. I assure you, we both appreciate it.:rider:

Squidward said:
...looks as if she's had the stuffing kicked out of her.

Glad she made it through Ok. :clap:
So she looks like she went a few rounds with another car careening through your yard, or what? :lol2:

I hope that she can crash all day today. That surgery sounded brutal. Hope the recovery is quick and uneventful.

prayer period extended...

He could take pics, but somebody might think he's a wife beater or something! :eek2: Glad things went well. :clap: and somebody might turn into a husband beater if he tried to take pics!

my wife had to do that last year.
pain meds are your friend.

well wishes for a speedy recovery.

Hey guys and gals....thanks for all your prayers and good thoughts....I had never hurt so much in my life! Luckily this morning (and with a couple of pain meds on board) I feel 150% better. Yesterday the pain meds wouldn't make a dent in the pain. My front teeth hurt so bad!!

I have to say it was nice to be spoiled by John....and my parents came over and my dad let me lay against him, my mom did my hair and we all just sat and talked til about 10pm when my pain meds kicked in (finally!).

Anyways...I think it's safe to say I'll live another day, haha! And soon I'll know what it's like to be able to breathe properly out of my nose, woohoo!

Dr. Trimble did say that from what he saw in my nose it should have been on a much older person.....I'm just abnormal like that :lol2:

Yesterday there was a death sentence for any pics taken :-P Fortunately today with a bandaged taped under my nose, I just look like I have a chronic runny nose. :mrgreen:

Did I mention I have the best hub in the world? :kiss:

Hey Kim, glad you are feeling a little better. I had them laser shrink my turbinates 2 years ago and they corrected my deviated septum while they were at it. First couple days sucked (my nose would bleed like a sieve) but it is now well worth it. The fun part is when they pull the packing out of your nose!

Allergies are not necessarily better but I can breathe a lot better.

Hope you have the same or better results.

sharkey said:
Hey Kim, glad you are feeling a little better. I had them laser shrink my turbinates 2 years ago and they corrected my deviated septum while they were at it. First couple days sucked (my nose would bleed like a sieve) but it is now well worth it. The fun part is when they pull the packing out of your nose!

Allergies are not necessarily better but I can breathe a lot better.

Hope you have the same or better results.

She got lucky. Her doc doesn't believe in the use of splints and packing. He says that if you do the stitch right splints aren't needed. He also said that liberal use of Afrin to help control the bleeding, and liberal application of saline to keep it clean does a better job of preventing infection and is less painful than packing.

Well, I just wanted to post up to close out my whole sinus surgery situation. I've been to 3 post-op appointments....3 times getting vacuumed out. I have to say, the post-op appointments were hades on earth...

I still have to go see Dr. Trimble in a month, just for a checkup, but overall I have to say this surgery has improved not only my sinuses, but it feels like my life has been improved. I know it sounds silly, but I feel like I'm able to breathe SO much easier now. I am sleeping better and even though it sounds weird, I can smell things better.

Granted, I still have allergies...I still take Singulair and use my Nasonex spray, but he took me off the Astelin, so I'm down to one nasal spray (woohoo!). Anyone have use for some unused Astelin? I have like 5 refills to get :mrgreen:

It was probably one of the most painful things I've had to deal with, but having a doctor who doesn't use packing or splints, I felt I got off pretty easy. I keep saying that had I of known the extent of the pain, I wouldn't have done it, but the way I feel now and how much my breathing has been helped, I probably would have done it.

My nose is still tender in certain situations, with the total recovery time being 2 - 3 months, but I seem to be makin' it one day at a time....woot!

The end. :rider:

:clap:

Very glad it all worked out for the best. Not being able to breathe can be a bit annoying... :wary:

Gilk51 said:
So, when do we get to see the "new" Kim?
:trust:

I don't know how close you want to get....with my new ability to breathe through my nose, I could inadvertently inhale you up through a nostril :rofl:

Back