• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

19" vs 18" tire

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Last Name
McCreight
Hello,
I have a 450WR with a 19" wheel. I had been told that the 18" and 19" tire are the same height, but so the side wall was less on the 19. Come to find out that the MT021 tire has the same or more side wall height as an 18" tire.

Does anyone have personal experince with other tires to help out with this comarison?

I like the 19 inch for going fast and the 18 inch for trail riding. 19 is more stable feeling at speed and on bumps. 18inch seems to corner and track easier.

17 inch slicks on dirt are scary but fun:eek2: :mrgreen:

Thanks for the info guys. I am going to stick with the 19" wheel and spend the money elsewhere.

I wouldn't go to the expense of changing it.
The only real upside to an 18" that I've really seen is that it's easier to find rubber.

Hammer said:
I wouldn't go to the expense of changing it.
The only real upside to an 18" that I've really seen is that it's easier to find rubber.

That is the conclusion I am at right now. Thanks

How did you WR get a 19 on it?

They come stock with 18"s.

fastmonstr said:
How did you WR get a 19 on it?

They come stock with 18"s.

The PO spent a lot of money on excel rims and hubs. ;-)

Good question!

19's are better for MX, b/c they're lighter.

18's are better for off-road, b/c the higher sidewall reduces pinch flats, provides better cushioning against sharp impacts (easier on your body and rim), and tires are easier to change.

I've run both, currently on an 18" rear. Biggest notable difference vs. 19's in last several bikes is that I haven't had a single flat (knock on wood) w/ it. Can't say that about 19's, even w/ Slime.

Chris S said:
19's are better for MX, b/c they're lighter.

18's are better for off-road, b/c the higher sidewall reduces pinch flats, provides better cushioning against sharp impacts (easier on your body and rim), and tires are easier to change.

I've run both, currently on an 18" rear. Biggest notable difference vs. 19's in last several bikes is that I haven't had a single flat (knock on wood) w/ it. Can't say that about 19's, even w/ Slime.

Well, I haven't had a rear flat yet, but that isn't saying much.

My 19" MT021 rear is actually 2" taller than the 18" tire, so the side wall is about the same as the 18" tire. I guess time will tell.

I rode a 19 on my 04 sx for 2 1/2 yrs and rode it over every kind of terrain including mud and I really dont see a big advantage to the 18. I never got a flat anymore than the next guys with 18'. As mentioned above, the right pressure makes a difference. Both sizes have advantages imo. The 19 is lighter and I can definitely feel it in corners ans switchbacks and brake sliding or in the air. The 18 really does seem to get a little better traction in most conditions but its heavier and I can tell the difference. Most people wouldnt really notice the weight but being a smaller short rider I do.
Either way just keep the 19 and adjust your technique and you'll be fine. Also keep the do all tires front and back on and that helps too. D-756's.

Thanks for the info. I have been riding this bike for 6 months now, and have not had any issues with the 19. I plan to play with the air pressure some more to see if I can get the MT21 I have on there to bite a little better.

When they are worn out, I shall step up to a better tire.

I have a 19" on my YZF and have had pretty good luck avoiding pinch flats running the following pressures:

MX sand tracks- 12-14psi
MX hard pack 13-15psi
Woods- 14-15psi
Rocky trails 14-15psi

While fast trail riding constantly watching for the smoothest routes away from sharp roots or rocks. If you have to hit one at speed, try to take some weight off the back of the bike at the time of impact.

MIGHTYMOUSE said:
The 19 is lighter and I can definitely feel it in corners

How can the 19" tire be lighter than the 18"? Is the sidewall that much shorter?

Hammer said:
How can the 19" tire be lighter than the 18"? Is the sidewall that much shorter?

My 19" MT21 measures a little taller then a friends 18" wheel with a 606 on it, so I would say that the side wall is about the same, so the lighter theory does not hold for this tire, but it could for others.

Hammer said:

If your comparing the same type of tires yes it makes a difference in weight. As I said its not much and most dont notice it but to us pewee's its a little more noticeable.

You and your knuckles really notice the side wall differences when its time to change the tire, especially in the cold, lol.

Good luck

No way the 19's are lighter. I have changed numerous tires out and the only reason that it seems the sidewalls are thinner is because they are taller and flex more because of that.

Back