• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Anyone tried a Crampbuster/Throttle Rocker?

wczimmerman

The ORIGINAL Pie Man
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I am interested to hear of any real world review from fellow TWT'ans that have used either, but especially the Crampbuster. Apparently, the newer Throttle Rocker 2 has not been well received and the reviews have been terrible. The Crampbuster looks like a nicer design.

My reason for getting one is that my SV1000S is great for sport touring, but the only pain I get is in my right wrist (also had it on the VFR for that matter). According to the research I've done, this should help relieve that situation.

Crampbuster
Throttle Rocker

Not exactly what you're looking for, but I've got the original Throttle Rocker, and it's hands-down the best $10 I've spent on my bike...

I have the Throttle Rocker and like it OK. They are both fairly inexpensive. Buy one of each. Put one on the SV and the other on the 919.

I have both. I originally got hooked on the all-plastic throttle-rocker. When the design changed, I was one of those who stocked up, declaring that they would pry my plastic throttle-rocker from my cold-dead hands.

Well...they wore out, got loose, got lost, etc.

I broke down and bought a velcro thottle-rocker. It worked, kinda. But the little metal pin that holds the velcro kept popping out, and the velcro strap kept slipping.

I now use a Crampbuster (the long thin version) with the velcro throttle rocker in my toolkit for emergencies. It holds tight to the grip, and doesn't slide unless I deliberately move it. I was a little concerned about the shape initially, but my hand doesn't seem to know the difference. The extra leverage from the length of the plastic piece is nice sometimes.

Either will work, but I'll be buying Crampbusters from now on.

I've got a Crampbuster that I was using on the Heritage but use the throttle tightener thingy instead (kind of a friction cruise control). You want the one I have, it's yours. Pm me with an address and I will mail it. I think, per the crampbuster website site, it is either a CB2 or CB4. Kind of a pay it forward thing. :rider:

I have the Crampbuster on both my bikes. I like it, but have never used a Throttlerocker to compare against.
I can't imagine riding more than an hour without one.
It has never slipped but once in a blue moon I will snag something on the end of it and cause it to rotate up. Then it takes two hands to get it back down to where is should be.

I used the older Throttle Rocker for about a year, and found that it was really useful only for long drones down straight highways, which is something I very rarely do. One day while riding, it fell out of the side pocket of my tank bag as I was trying to retrieve something else and I didn't bother to stop and pick it up. Haven't missed it much, but that's just me. :shrug:

I can't be without one. I keep a spare in case mine breaks or gets lost. I much prefer the Throttle Rocker (Original only) to the Crampbuster..and I have both. Here is a link to a guy who sells one that looks like the original TR-but I have NOT tried one myself: http://www.vpaccessories.com/valkyrie_accessories.htm
His is only $7.50 also.

I cranked the fast idle adjuster up a few turns on my TL-S for $0 cruise control. Bit of a kludge, but worked dandy as long as you were mindful on startup!

I've used both and prefer the CB2 version. It doesn't fit my BMW grips, plus I have a Throttlemeister, so come get it.

I have the same problem but mine already started at my job. Ergonimic adjustments (see pic below) fixed that and when I catch myself bending my wrist on the VFR, I lower my chest and elbows to get the wrist back into a neutral position and the pain immediately goes away. Of course, being in this racetuck position is not always the most desirable.

Rocketbunny also recommended the crampbuster to me which I will purchase the next chance I get.

Wrists.jpg

I have a 2nd gen Throttle Rocker, and it slips more than it sticks. If you can get the old one that worked without velcro, go for it.

If you want to try mine, I don't use it anymore (Got a throttle lock instead) and you are welcome to it.

Have you tried the o-ring trick?

I tried a Crampbuster and Throttlerocker. Both of them went in the trash. I find the o-ring trick works better for me and is much less intrusive.

Becca
Which throttle lock did you get?
Some you have to drill into the box where the start button is and some don't.

I have the TRocker2 and it works fine on my rubber throttle/grip. I could see on one of the Kuryakian that it might slip. I haven't had the pin come out. But my longest with it was about 40 miles. I'll find out the 20th when I ride to Fredericksburg.
Oh geez, Octoberfest there starts Friday! When is Groene's?
Reasons to take long rides!

dukey33 said:
but once in a blue moon I will snag something on the end of it and cause it to rotate up. Then it takes two hands to get it back down to where is should be.
I just rotate mine forward "around the horn" until it is back in the right position. You can do that with one hand. On the 'Strom, it goes around even with the hand guards.

Mine is usually forward and down, out of the way for most riding. On the slab, I rotate it forward (over the top) until it is in the right spot where the palm of my hand can rest on it comfortably.

Cheap and simple. I like it.

gocatgo said:
I have the original Throttlerockers and really like them. Haven't tried the velcro ones but they don't look to me like they would work as well.

Same here, on both points. :zen:

Gilk51 said:
I just rotate mine forward "around the horn" until it is back in the right position. You can do that with one hand. On the 'Strom, it goes around even with the hand guards.

Yeah, but my bikes are old enough that rolling the thing over the top would deform the rubber grips. Kinda like how old carpet gets baggy, only I can't stretch the rubber back into place since it is circumferential!

Well in view of all the positive comments I will cast a dissenting vote for either. I tried the Crampbuster and yes it does work well, however you must be very careful with it. Seems like in a bit of a panic braking situation my wrist rolled down pressing on it and..... lets just say my braking was severely compromised.

I strongly suggest you rotate it forward out of the way when you are not planning on using it. Even when you do use it remember that it's there and could get in the way in some situations. I took mine off after getting a ThrottleMeister.

I use a throttle lock, I like the idea that is is out of the way when I don't need it, and that i can take my hand off of the throttle when I want to. But I do carry a crampbuster as a back up on cross country trips.

Squeaky said:
Have you tried the o-ring trick?

I did. I got the part number off of ADVrider and mail ordered 6 of them from the local Catepillar dealer. I think it was Mustang. I have give 4 of them away. I still have on on my GS and one in my tank bag for a spare.

I would think you would need hand gaurds or something on the end of the bar to keep the o-ring from going off the end of the bar. That is the only reason I haven't tried it on the Futura. That and the fact I tend to ride the GS on longer trips. Mostly for the extra leg room.

You can roll a rubber o-ring between the bar end and the throttle grip to hold the throttle in place. Poor-man's cruise control. Still allows you to shut the throttle with your hand.

My Sprint has a nice groove in the bar end that keeps the o-ring in place when I'm not using it.

I use the Caterpillar 0-ring...Cat part # 8M 4991

Much more durable than your average o-ring...and bright yellow so you don't lose it as easily! ;)

Back