• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New TWT member-Lake Conroe/Montgomery area

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Last Name
McKendry
I just bought a 1984 Honda V65 Magna in pretty decent shape for a 20 year old machine. It needs a little TLC though before I can throw a leg over it. The carbs are a mess..gummed up. The clutch doesn't work but it seems to be either the master cyl or slave cyl. When I got it home it would only run on 2 cyl because two plugs were badly fouled from dud fuel. The gas tank is rusty inside but nothing a POR15 tank kit can't fix. But then there is a nasty dent on the right side of the tank so I'll probably end up replacing it.
It needs tires which are nice Metzlers but they're dry-rotted and cracking.
Overall it's in very good condition and has very low miles but I'm not sure how many miles. The odometer shows 202..I doubt it's that low but I'm positive it's not 100,202 since there is very little if any wear on the bike and the plastic parts are like new, not faded like some that sit in the sun a lot.
Here are some pics that I took of the bike before I got it home.
http://n5cwm.dynip.com/images/v65honda/
Now I have to order the parts I need since the local Honda dealers don't stock the ones I inquired about.
Once I get it running I plan on meeting up with you guys in the area.

I'm not new to riding. I've owned about 8 different bikes since I started riding in 1979 on dirtbikes. I've always wanted a V65 Magna or Sabre and I remember when these came out. I can't believe it's been 20 years but time sure flies.

I also frequent the v4hondabbs.com forum for obvious reasons. ;)

Later!

This makes me sick. A 20 year old Magna with 202 miles(yes, I do believe that number) and it's in your garage instead of mine.
Outstanding find. Replace the tank. Hopefully you can find one NOS since Honda doesn't make parts for bikes over 10 years old(most cases anyway). You'll be in better shape on the carbs since they were used on several later models. I would say rebuild them but I don't know what condition the air cut diaphrams are in. If those have to be replaced, you might be better off replacing the carbs. My CB750K had bad ait cut diaphrams and the dealer wanted $125 per. Found that to be the norm so I ended up just replacing the carbs altogether at $135 per.
The rest looks great. Give it a tune-up, change the oil and don't forget it still needs to go through the break-in.
Lucky bugger :angryfir:

The speedometer has probably been replaced, or the speedo cable is inoperative. I'll be getting the title soon and it should have the odometer reading from the last title transfer.
If it is 202 miles, then you're right..I'm one lucky bugger! 8-)

There is a company that has the tank and it's 300 bucks. I emailed servicehonda.com about them and got a reply today. There is also a lower tank under the seat and it is really rusty inside too. I treated the tank on my 93 ZX11 with POR15 a couple years ago and it's not easy but can be done.

I should have time tomorrow to pull the carbs and disassemble. I'm really curious how bad they are. I may be in for a big ordeal if what you say about the diaphragms is a problem here.

Congrats !

My second "big" streetbike was a V65. I traded in a V45 for it ...!

Hope you get it running. Don't forget all the other fluids (radiator, brake fluid) and check the fork seals to make sure they aren't dried and cracked.

I still remember when that bike came out - it was the fastest and quickest production bike of it's time. Quite a looker as well. :chug:

Dave.

Howdy Chris,

:tab Welcome to the site! That is a nice looking machine. I have always had a soft spot for the mid eighties power cruisers. I cannot believe you found one in such good shape. Can't hurt to have another V4 lover on the site now can it? ;-)

:tab Who says you have to wait to get the Magna together before you come out and play? I noticed the KLX650 in your sig... go check out the Upcoming Events forum, there's a ride right up your alley and in your backyard!

Adios,

Hey Chris,

Welcome to TWT!!!! :lol: This is a great forum with lots of friendly people. Did you see the post about the Bike Night in Montgomery? That's right down the road from you. We haven't had a big turn out lately but maybe you can join us sometime. :-) I hope you have much success on getting the Magna running.

Kings

Looks like I'll be there tonight on the KLX. It's Friend's night on TV and my wife is gonna be glued to the tube. I was planning on taking her out to eat for our anniversary but we've put that off till a later date. ;)

I'm gonna post this over there too.

Good to have you here, Chris and glad I got to meet you tonight at King's.

Can't wait to see your Magna back on the road. That and the V65 Sabre were probably the most powerful bikes made when they first came out, and they still deserve respect. Very cool! 8-)

Kings

Hi Paul! Nice meeting you and the group tonight.

Funny thing is, I always wanted a V65 and never really thought much of it . But the opportunity came along the other day and I didn't have to think about it very long. The bike has classic 80's look to it and a monster of an engine. I can't wait to ride it!

I've been pondering what to get recently. There is a nice new 03 Kawasaki ZZR1200 at the new Kawi dealership near the Lake Conroe dam but couldn't justify the expense of a new bike. Restoring the V65 will give me a sense of accomplisment that I used to have about motorcycling back when I started riding in the early 80s. I've always bought used bikes that are in good shape but need a little TLC.

Next time I visit my parents in NC I'm gonna go through my stash of motorcycle magazines and brochures becasue I'm sure I have a 1984 Cycle, MotorCyclist or CW with a test. And I'm positive there is a Honda brochure with the V65 in there too. It just took me 20 years to experience it. :-)

IT'S ALIVE!!

FedEx came today..got my carb assembly back together, installed (took a lot of cursein' $@*&%!) but it RUNS! It fired right away and idled, and warmed up to 2 bars so far, idles great, revs to 5K (all I wanted to do for now).

Gotta go to work..out of town for three days. Should be riding it next week!

Cool! Can't wait to see and hear it!

Adios,

Tourmeister said:
Cool! Can't wait to see and hear it!

Maybe Chris can ride it up to your house so we can pull off the mufflers and have a rev-fest like we did a few months back. :twisted:

Your neighbors never complained, did they? :angel:

Good to know you've got it running again Chris! 8-)

Thurs Nights 7:00 PM, King's Cafe...

Hey Chris, nice to meet you (by accident!) over at King's tonight! (I have the yellow Honda Shadow)... I'll see if I can make more of these Wed eves thingies.. Jim

Hi Jim! Nice meeting you tonight. We'll definitely have to ride a bit next time in leu of sitting and yakkin'! 8-) Enjoyed the conversation and I hope to see you next week, work schedules and weather permitting. By the way the get-togethers are on THURSDAY nights around 7 PM. You typed Wed ^ up there. ;-)

I ended up putting 100 miles on the Magna this evening. Rode out past Willis on 1097, down 75 into Conroe, zig zaged thru Conroe, and back home after dark. Nice relaxing evening.

Are you going to register as a new user soon?

Here is the link to the King's get-together topic in case you haven't seen it yet. There are 4 pages so far and the latest stuff is on page 4.

http://www.twtex.com/viewtopic.php?t=1042

Back