• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Paramedic killed in collision

kurt

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Last Name
Brown
* * * B R E A K I N G N E W S * * *
October 10, 2006

Fatality Collision - 19200 W State Highway 71

Austin-Travis County EMS, along with Pedernales and Hudson Bend Fire Departments are onscene of a fatality collision involving two vehicles at 19200 W State Highway 71.

An out of county ambulance and passenger pickup truck collided at approximately 5:30 a.m. this morning resulting in one fatality and two critically injured patients. Medic 9 and Med-Rescue 26 each transported one patient to Brackenridge Hospital.

EMS Command onscene confirms one paramedic from the ambulance is DOS and the driver of the second vehicle has critical injuries. The names and affiliation of all patients are being withheld at this time.

For more information, please contact the on-duty Public Information Officer at 512.802.0012. (Release #1192)

I don't know who it is as of yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll know who it is. Say a little prayer for the families of all involved.

Throw in more if you get it. Prayers sent. :pray:

That was my sister this same time about 2 years ago. Partner spent quite a goodly amount of time in rehab, sister went back to law school.

Terrible news. Keep us posted Kurt. Very tragic.

It happened at approximately 5:30 a.m. at 19200 Hwy 71 West. That is near Bee Creek Rd. in the Spicewood area. (map)

Authorities on the scene say the pickup truck crossed the center line and collided with an ambulance from outside Travis County. Both vehicles rolled into a ditch. They are not confirming where the ambulance is from.

The driver of the ambulance and the pickup were killed. A second medic was transported to Brackenridge Hospital in critical condition. But Austin/Travis County EMS spokesman Warren Hassenger says that person's condition has improved. The ambulance was not carrying a patient.

A Department of Public Safety troopers say all lanes of Hwy 71 are closed from R.O. Road to Bee Creek Rd.

Hassenger told CBS 42's Leslie Coons that the driver of a concrete mixer truck blocked the road just after the wreck -- stopping other cars from slamming into it. He said that driver may have saved more lives.

I'll remember them tonight.

Bad stretch of road there. Too much traffic, people in too much of a hurry and from what I've seen a lot of folks drinking and driving in that area.

It's really sad. Both of the medics were in their 20s. I think the driver of the ambulance had only been with Marble Falls for a year and a half. I've seen a lot of ambulance collisions and this one was one of the worst. My thoughts and prayers are with the families and everyone who was close to them. I know it's been a hard week for the rest of the Marble Falls EMS. I have no idea how they are going to handle the death of a freind and a coworker who was that young. By the way, the collision didn't really have anything to do with their jobs. They were on their way back from the hospital without a patient. As far as I can tell this could happen to any one of us. Stay alert out there. There wasn't anything the medics could have done to avoid the collision. I'm afraid it happened too fast but the other driver may have had an opportunity to change the way things happened.

Looks like it will be ruled an accident and nothing more. The driver of the truck lost control and crossed the line, nothing more, nothing less. They all just happened to be in exactly the wrong place. The surviving medic has a good prognosis, but a long road to recovery.

We sent two units, Williamson County sent one and Bulverde EMS sent one to cover the area for a couple of days while the MF folks got their collective lives back together. It still all seems so inadequate. Godspeed to the victims and families of all involved, dozens of people's lives were turned upside down.

Very sad news .... my prayers go out to those families that lost loved ones & for the EMS coworkers as well.

Back