• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Scorpion vs Shark Helmets

Shaggy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Hershberger
Love my Shoei X-11 but my silly self dropped it and a piece of foam is loose inside the chin area. So I have contacted Shoei and its getting sent back to them for inspection/repair.

In the mean time I dont want to ride without a bucket, so I am going to drop by Moto Liberty tomorrow and pick up another lid. Thinking about a Scorpion since they have the photochromatic shield or maybe a Shark and just wear sunglasses.

I dont want to drop another 600+ for a helmet if I can get something just as good for half the price and I see a lot of people with these two brands.

Looking for experiences with either and any recommendations.

Thanks.

I've not used either of those brands.

I have had several HJCs and while they aren't a Shoei, they are a nice helmet. The AC-11 I had fit just as good as my current TZ-R, had removable liner, and was over $100 (list) less. I got my TZ-R for ~$10 more then I would have paid for a AC-12 on sale (I just love sales :rider: )

I own the Scorpion EXO 700 and like it. Had it about 2 years. It's a bit noisy but I wear plugs so that is a non-issue. Don't rule out the KBC's either. I had a VR1 Euro and I really liked it.

The Sharks look nice but I have no experience w/ them. Maybe someone will chime in?

You can't go wrong w/ the Scorpion. I did read that the shield doesn't get that dark. Checkout helmetharbor.com I've bought 3 lids from them and their reviews are spot on.

I think you're looking at two very different price ranges there, unless your going to try Sharks lower end line.
Shark's RS2R (or whatever it is now) is more on par with your X-11 price range.

I've read nothing but good things about Scorpions line (for the budget conscious)

I have had 2 Scorpion EXO 700 helmets and love them. I can't say anything for Shark helmets since I haven't tried one on. Squidward tried one on at Cyclegear and hated the fit, there wasn't enough chin coverage for him.

I preferred the EXO 700 to the EXO 400, and since it was only $40 more, that's what I went with.

I was wanting to take a look at that photochromatic shield for Scorpion....it's pricey but if it works, I might get one.

Of course, fit is going to be the most important factor, so I'd try'em both on....you might love one and find out it doesn't fit your melon very well.

I hated my KBC TK-8...that thing started falling apart on me after a while, I lost several pieces of the helmet on rides just from the wind alone, so that pretty much ruined the KBC line for me in my mind.

I have the Scorpion and just love it. It has a great working anti-fog shield. Fogging up hasn't been an issue in the whole year I've had the helmet. Overall, it's made of quality materials and is showing amazingly little wear for the 7500+ miles I've put on it so far.

OTOH, review in Motorcycle Consumer News was kind of negative about the new photochromic sheild, saying that it doesn't get dark enough. Maybe the next version will be better?

Ive got a Shark S800, the top of their "performance" line, below their race line. I really like the fit of the sharks, but that said, the Scorpion line is really nice too. I was down to the Scorpion, HCJ CL-SP, and the Shark, and went with the Shark for the ECE certification. All seemed to fit me well, while Aria's didnt, and the X11 I tried on didnt.

I have doubts that you will really see a noticable difference in quality at this helmet level. both will protect you fine, so I would try one on, and if it works, get it.

Good luck

Matt

I have an EXO700 and like it pretty well except for one issue. The first notch on the visor is a big step from closed to open. I took some pieces of 1/4 tubing that I split so I can clip them on the edge of the visor on cold days to let just a little more air in than the vents allow. I keep several in my tank bag as the attrition rate on those little fellows is kinda high.;)

I was able to find a great deal on a new shark RS2R on ebay for $400, and have been very happy. was able to purchase the dark sun shield and the clear one as a complete package. The change out of the shields is quick simple and secure.
It's taken a few Rocks and Good sized Bugs, and hasn't scratched yet

I've been able to put about 3k miles on it with no issues.

Great air flow my head is nice and cool at each stop.
Can be very noisey above highway speeds. :rider:

oh yea it's nice and light as well.

Shaggy said:
In the mean time I dont want to ride without a bucket, so I am going to drop by Moto Liberty tomorrow and pick up another lid.

Might wanna look at the OGK line as well, Squidward loves his and we got it at Motoliberty :mrgreen:

Hmmmm. Well I have been looking long and hard at a lot of helmets and reading a lot of reviews and it seems I can get pretty much all the features of my X-11 in the Shoei RF-1000 for half the cost and its supposed to be quiter too. Nice thing is that they both use the same shields and I have accumulated a couple already.

I wish ML sold Shoei, I dont remember seeing any there and their website doesnt list them.

Guess I will check out the Cycle Gear in Bedford on the way to FW today. I was in there over the weekend to pick up a new jacket and they had a HUGE selection of helmets.

A good plan, and IIRC, I was in the one on Altamere, and they said Shoei was clearing out one graphic on the RF1000, it was marked down to 300. Red or yellow, and maybe a gray available.

I've used an EXO700 for almost 5 months. Left ear is very quiet and the right is average ( must be my mis-shaped head..lol ). Before I bought my helmet a salesman at Cycle Gear said they sell them 10% off list. I found a dealer that stocks them locally that matched the 10% off.

The "too high" first notch on the visor was almost a deal breaker for me. I liked the fit so much I bought one anyway. So far the high first notch hasn't been a problem. My opinion may change after winter.

Well I (we) actually ended up with one of each!

I started out at Cycle Gear and they didn’t have the color Shoei I thought I wanted and the RF1000 didn’t fit as good as the X-11. But while I was there I started trying on other lids, the Arai Quantum was nice and felt better than my X-11 so I figured I would go over and see Nathan at Moto Liberty if I was going to go the Arai route. When I got there I tried on a few Arais then I saw all their Sharks and liked the RSR2 so much that I got one.

As for the Scorpion.... well.... as I was talking to Nathan at the counter about ordering me a Recon19 tank bag, the wife wandered off to the women's gear and picked out a jacket. I almost fell on the floor but played along to see if she was serious since she has refused to ride with me so far. She used to race quads and always feared street bikes. But since we live out near the country she said she would go ride with me if we didn’t go towards town. Cool! So she picked out a nice Scorpion to match her jacket and even got a set of gloves.

Woohoo, we are probably going to go 2up for the first time this weekend.

Anyone want to by a three month old X-11 Rainey edition? Its on its way back to Shoei as we speak, but when it comes back it will be in like new condition :mrgreen:

I dunno though, will have to see how the Shark performs, I might keep the Shoei for the really hot days if the Shark doesn't vent as well.

b66d25442b93ee3a79f8ef268b6d42a6_rough.jpg

Wow, on the next pie run we can be twins.... thats the same shark model I have as well. :clap:

No problems on the venting ...we'll see as the colder weather comes around i might have to close a vent or two.

Brent

Shaggy said:
.....Anyone want to by a three month old X-11 Rainey edition? Its on its way back to Shoei as we speak, but when it comes back it will be in like new condition :mrgreen:

Hmmmm....what size is it?

'Mr Curious' :trust:

Santa is supposed to get me a Shark RSI for xmas. If I'm good, that is.

I really like the Scorpions but they just don't fit me right and the Shark RSI fit perfect. Also webBikeWorld had a very positive review of the Shark RSI and that sealed the deal for me.

The only thing that bothered me about the Shark RSI is that even though it has a removable washable liner, you can't buy a spare liner like you can with the Scorpions.

heinzrx said:
Santa is supposed to get me a Shark RSI for xmas. If I'm good, that is..

Time to remember that being good is very different than being good at it! :trust:

:rofl:

:lol2:

I have the 700, can't say enough good things about it. My next lid will be another Scorpion...They had a booth at Laguna Seca with the upcoming colors, they have a lot of on the horizon. They have a flat black/yellow edition with my name on it from Santa.

92'Bearkat said:
They had a booth at Laguna Seca with the upcoming colors, they have a lot of on the horizon.

Did they say when they will be available?

Back