• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Copper Canyon Mexico ride Oct 2006

Wasabi

Reaction score
Just a few words and pics about the Creel Mexico ride. I was fortunate to ride with a great group of veteran Creel riders. Chris (DirtBomb), Nace (Loose Bolt) Dave, Rick, Ron and another newbee like myself Bob (RPWW) from Orlando Florida. We left DFW around 8:30 Saturday Oct 7 and trailered for the Three Palms Inn in Presidio . Bob was already there when we arrived. We crossed the border on Sunday morning about 9am and all seven got through customs by 10:30. From there we slabed it to Creel (aprox 300 miles).

Stoped to exchange dollars to pesos after crossing the border
102854007-M.jpg

First stop was just about 20 miles past the border to view this canyon overlook.
102854018-M.jpg

Marker for park site, they must paint this often to get rid of the graffiti
102854033-M.jpg

This is the stop at about 7 hours of riding. We are just about an hour from Creel.
103002621-M.jpg

Once we arrived in Creel we stayed at the Margarita Hotel. At about $48 , 480 pesco, (for two occupants) a night , with breakfast and lunch included. It was one of the best Inns Creel had to offer. Monday morning, Oct 9, we checked out of the Margarita and Bob headed to the Horizon Unlimited camp site.
The room was very nice with a good shower.
103002623-M.jpg

The court yard
103002625-M.jpg

Front of hotel
103002629-M.jpg

The six of us headed for Divisadero. This is a train stop for tourist to see the beautiful Copper Canyon from the lookout and eat at the restaurant and shop at the vendor booths setup near by.
L to R Rick, me and Chris at the Copper Canyon overlook
103002631-M.jpg

I did not take many pics at the Canyon this day but on our way back I have some more.

From Divisadero we headed for Urique, a very small rural community located in the foothills of Copper Canyon. There are two roads to Urigue, both dirt. The lower road that runs down the mountain along the Rio Urique and the other was the very challenging mountain over pass. We took the lower road to Urique. What a great dirt ride down the mountain to the tree lined road along the river. There was an unusual amount of rain the past several weeks so we had three fast running water crossing as well as lots of large mud puddles to challenge our skills.

On the way to Urique we stopped at this resturant for some lunch. Can't recomend it, but when your in the middle of somewhere Mexico it will do.

103002633-M.jpg

103002636-M.jpg

Rick heads down the mountain road to Urique

103002640-M.jpg

Dave on the same road
103002644-M.jpg

Chris riding standing up on the road to Urique , my favorite riding position.
103002645-M.jpg

Nace on same road
103002651-M.jpg

Ron on his GS
103002652-M.jpg

Part of same road
103002654-M.jpg

Rest stop along river bank
103002656-M.jpg

These logging trucks and the hugh gravel/ rock trucks were a constant hazzard that kept you alert at all times.
103002658-M.jpg

Back up the hill I saw this sign. I thinks it is about the next town. Anyone want to translate ?
103002659-M.jpg

Not sure which town this is
103002661-M.jpg

another stop, going back up the mountain
103002663-M.jpg

My bike fully packed, way too much, I'll ride much lighter next time.
103002665-M.jpg

Saw a lot of caves where it was obvious that someone lived in them
103002668-M.jpg

A view of the valley below
103002683-M.jpg

Another view of the road below
103002686-M.jpg

Finally made it to Urique
103002694-M.jpg

Once in Urigue, we found the only rooms available were the very basic 100 peso per person two beds per room Mexican style. The best part of the room was that they had hot showers if you catch it when the wood burning hotwater heater was fired up.

The only room we could find available was here
103002708-M.jpg

The 100 peso per person room, notice the AC on the table.
103002699-M.jpg

The bikes were locked together in the back of the hotel.
103002729-M.jpg

Urique main drag early (8:30 am) the next morning
103002715-M.jpg

The other direction
103002725-M.jpg

The next morning Tuesday , Dave and Rick decided to stay in Urique another day while Chris, Nace, Ron and I headed back to Creel using the high road. A decision we would not have made had we knew how rough it was going to be. On the way up Nace, riding a Suzuki DR650, had some carburetor problems and was leaking gas. We discovered that a float bowl screw had vibrated out, very unusual. Nace had the carb overhauled by a Suzuki dealer in Hurst before the trip. Ron ended up using JB weld to hold a small screw in the carb and pluged the overflow. After about an hour to fix the problem we continued our journey.

Fixen the bike
103002730-M.jpg

Waiting on the JB weld to dry, Chris Ron and Nace
103002732-M.jpg

Back at Divisadero, a canyon view later that evening
103002734-M.jpg

Most of the vendors were gone because the last train had come and gone
103002737-M.jpg

A view of the track behind the shopping area
103002739-M.jpg

We arrived in Creel late that Tuesday evening and decided we would base out of Creel the next three days. The Margarita was booked for Wednesday and we didn’t want to repack to move again so we stayed at another hotel owned by the Margarita a few blocks away. The hotel I think was the Casa Margarita and was 300 peso for two It was a smaller room but had a great hot shower and included breakfast and dinner. It was on the main drag of town just across from the town square.

Wednesday we headed over to the HU site and checked out the events and scheduled rides for the week.

HU pics
103002741-M.jpg

103002744-M.jpg

103002745-M.jpg

103002746-M.jpg

103002750-M.jpg

103002753-M.jpg

103002757-M.jpg

Nace decided to hang out around Creel and Chris, Ron and I headed for the Basaseachi waterfalls. Again there are two ways to get to the falls, one pavement the other dirt. We chose the dirt route. What a nasty, washboard, pothole , dusty , bone jarring ride that was. At least the falls were in full force due to the previous few days of rain. The ride back was very nice twisty paved road back to Creel. Dave and Rick joined us at the hotel later that night.

103006982-M.jpg

One of our many Pemex gas stops, 8 peso ( aprox $.80) per liter.
103006981-M.jpg

While back at the hotel there was an interesting happening. This young woman was having her ear treated by a local Medicine man. He rolled up a newspaper into a funnel and put the small end in her ear. He then lit the paper on fire.

103006990-M.jpg

103006991-M.jpg

103006993-M.jpg

I wish I could report all was well, but I don't know if the treatment was a success. But it was interesting to watch.

Thursday was going to be a day of rest and HU events and cruise the town. Around noon Dave and Rick wanted to find the Double Horseshoe, a unique river configuration on the road to Batopilas. What a great twisty paved mountain road. There was no signs or markers for the Double Horseshoe and we stopped several times at various locations looking for it. We ended up stopping about 50 miles down the road at the intersection were the paved road ends and the famous dirt switch backs begins to Batpilas. I didn’t get to ride to Batopilas this trip, it will be my first stop next year.

103007002-M.jpg

103007006-M.jpg

On the way back Dave and Rick were determined to find the Double Horseshoe. I wasn’t going to miss the chance to test my KLR on the great road so I headed back to Creel at my most comfortable steady lean. What a rush.

Friday we decided on an early morning fast track to Presidio. Well, that was the plan. It seems that Naces carb was acting up again. This time it was way more than a lost screw. As I understand it the float got stuck and drained almost a gallon of gas into the crankcase. This wasn’t discovered until some excellent mechanical investigation by Nace and Ron. They drained the gas out of the crankcase, blew the gas out of the cylinder heads and washed the gas soaked air fitler and rigged the float so it would not leak more gas. The bottom line is the bike was fixed enough for Nace to ride the bike back to Presidio. Saturday morning we traliered back to DFW.

Notice the level of the gas in the tank. Nace filled it up the night before.
103006995-M.jpg

103007009-M.jpg

There was so much more to this trip I could write several more pages. I think the best way to really enjoy this trip is to just do it. Anyone want to ride in April or May next year ?

Bill

nice pics. Definitely a lot more pavement since I was there in 1995. The main drag in Urique was cobblestone and dirt then, and on the main drag south from Creel, the pavement stopped at Divisadero.

The one time I went to Basaseachi Falls, it was a trickle. There was more toilet paper than "water". We walked up to the brink of the falls and looked over - then the "water", more like piss, blew back in our faces with a gust of wind up the canyon. Nice to see there is an actual falls there sometimes.

Excellent report Bill, beautiful scenery. I have always wanted to ride to Copper Canyon, I might have to join you guy's next time.:rider:

Great report. Wish I had gone.

I noticed a picture of a R1200GS. Did you ride anything that couldn't be ridden on a large DS like the GS?

mrr1150gs said:
Great report. Wish I had gone.

I noticed a picture of a R1200GS. Did you ride anything that couldn't be ridden on a large DS like the GS?

Ron rode a GS with no problems on any of the roads. There were a lot of GS riders , some two up, in town all week, all smiles all the time. :rider:

There were also several VStrom riders, which makes riding my VStrom next time a real possibility. But the KLR was perfect, even if it was overloaded.

WOW!!!!

I have to make that ride for sure...someday...

Given Copper Canyon is a popular destination for U.S. motorcyclists, do the locals speak much English or should one learn some Spanish before going???

Hey Bill,
Would you consider leading a ride with a Mexico novice? I sure would like to make that same trip in April or May. I've been to Mexico many times, but not there and not on a bike.

Do the locals speak much English

That has always been one of my fears. Being lost in a foreign country and not being able to ask for directions.
Wait a minute, that happen to me less than a year ago in Spain. Have I learned Spanish since then, no, but I need to.

Would you consider leading a ride with a Mexico novice?

How about a herd of novices?

The only place I have been in Mexico is the Yucatan and Piedras Negras.
"Dos Cervasas, Por Favor" has gotten me by pretty well in those areas.

Wasabi said:
Ron rode a GS with no problems on any of the roads. There were a lot of GS riders , some two up, in town all week, all smiles all the time. :rider:

There were also several VStrom riders, which makes riding my VStrom next time a real possibility. But the KLR was perfect, even if it was overloaded.

Did the GS's have TKC's or some kind of more agressive tread than the Tourances?

It is probably just like Big Bend. You can do it on a GS, but it would probably be more fun on a 250cc dirt bike. But, how far do you want to ride a 250cc dirt bike...

If I rode from home, I would take the GS. If I was to trailer to the border, I think a smaller bike would be more fun.

I would be all over a Copper Canyon riide,....especially an easy paced trip where you can see the scenery.
I would even start practicing my Spanish again!!....."Donde es El Bano?" .....you know, stuff like that.....

Don

Bandit33 said:
I would even start practicing my Spanish again!!....."Donde es El Bano?" .....you know, stuff like that.....

That & "mas cerveza porforvor" you are good to go. :chug: Eight of us went to CC in '04 & had a great time. We saw all kinds of bikes. I talked to one guy in Creel that had just returned from Batopilas on his Harley :rider: with his wife on the back.

mcrider said:
That & "mas cerveza porforvor" you are good to go.

I am good to go then. I can say both of those sentences. Hopefully, after saying a few of the second one, I won't get them mixed up.

Great report. Didn't see you guys there, but i ended up riding both the road from baseachi to creel and the one down to batopilas. The road to batopilas is MUCH worse. I was lucky to average 10 mph on it. My 12gs has cast wheels and distanzias that i left fully aired because i dinged the front one on the road from the falls, but there were times I was doing 50 or 60 on that one and hit a rock. It would help to have shocks other than the stock ones. I'm pretty sure mine are worn out.

Took a video on the way back up

102274951-L.jpg

I rode out through presidio too. That last 100 kilometers in the desert was great!

Excellent Excellent video. The best 44 :19 minuets I have spent sitting in front of my computer in a long time. Your other vids are also very good. :clap: Thanks for sharing the good times.

Bill

Eric,

I'm headed for Copper Canyon in a few weeks. Which dirt roads in the area can a Yamaha FZ1 handle? I've been wondering that if conditions were dry could it handle the dirt road between Creel & Basaseachi Falls and the dirt road down to Batopilas? What do you think?

Thanks for your great report and pics. Your post brought back wonderful memories of my trip, made solo, back in '95.

At Margarita's I expressed concern about leaving my Beemer overnight on the street, so two employees got a board and put it up as a ramp so that I could ride into the courtyard and park the bike there for the night. Once I was in, they closed the heavy wooden doors and everyone was secured as in an old fort.

Now that I have a KLR, the ramp would not be needed, of course.:trust:

Richard_ said:
Eric,

I'm headed for Copper Canyon in a few weeks. Which dirt roads in the area can a Yamaha FZ1 handle? I've been wondering that if conditions were dry could it handle the dirt road between Creel & Basaseachi Falls and the dirt road down to Batopilas? What do you think?

Hey Richard!

The dirt road between basaseachi falls and san juanito (about 30km north of creel) is about 60 miles as opposed to 150 via asphalt. To be honest, i wouldn't take any street bike down it. I dinged the wheel on my gs there
hauling butt and catching a rock or pothole. Seems like a lot of trucks going fast too.
102276777-M.jpg

Its wide enough, but some sandy sections, and whoops + the rocks and potholes are often hidden in the shadows.

Although i've heard (here) of a harley going down the road to batopilas, it is even rougher. I doubt I averaged 10mph on it. Curb sized rocks, etc are the norm, and going downhill is scary with all the loose rocks

The asphalt leading into the falls is very nice and twisty, as is hwy 25 (shown as 127 on maps) that leads into and through creel. This on the way to the falls
102275933-M.jpg

So i would stick to the road on the fizzie, plenty of great asphalt
in the area. If you are going through Presidio you'll love the first 100 km
in mexico, but I would take the KLR for sure if you want to do some off roading.

BTW, Rancho San Lorenzo is less than a mile from the falls and had cabins and pretty good chow. Fernando is the man in charge and the email addy i got from him is lobowaterfallsadventure@yahoo.com . For 4 guys in one cabin and a dinner and breakfast it was about 1900 pesos; or ~ $50 each.

Best,

Eric,

Thanks for the reply. I had heard about one or two guys on the street bike riding down to Batopilas and it made me wonder if it was a reasonable thing to do on the Fizzy. For purposes of crossing the border I'm selling my KLR to a buddy for this trip only, so I'll be riding the Fizzy, with the full realization that we will be limited to terrain suitable for the Fizzy.

chiricahua said:
And I was happy taking my BRP through Emma Long's last night.:mrgreen:

Technically a 650L doesn't qualify as a "BRP"....However anyone who is happy riding an XR650L around Emma Long Park has my vote to call their bike anything they want....I think it's time you joined us on some of the more "Spirited" Dual Sport Rides...

Steve

Well, just what makes you the "Official Bike Nicknamer Dude" ? Just because you call your BigRedPig your "LittlePinkPony" don't make you the name giver Guru:lol2:

Back