• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

One of us is in Africa!

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Seery
My good friend Pamela (TexanNurse) is a short-term missionary over in Guinea, Africa right now and will be there for about 8-9 months more.

She's helping in running a mobile medical clinic and teaching the people how to take care of themselves better.

If ya'll would keep her and the whole mission in your prayers that would be greatly apperciated.

I'll keep ya'll updated if I hear anything else.

I knew she was going, just didn't know when. Any internet access over there? It would be nice to get any reports via email & see how she is doing...

Nathan, speaking of missionaries, I thought of you & your Dad watching a movie this weekend and now thinking about Pamela... Just hope for a different plot, though...

Oh, the movie was The End of the Spear...

Gilk51 said:
I knew she was going, just didn't know when. Any internet access over there? It would be nice to get any reports via email & see how she is doing...

Nathan, speaking of missionaries, I thought of you & your Dad watching a movie this weekend and now thinking about Pamela... Just hope for a different plot, though...

Oh, the movie was The End of the Spear...
she flew out of Atlanta (her sister and bro-in-law live out there) on the 11th of Oct.

she does sorta have REALLY slow internet access. She's sending a report to her dad (WingNut) and then he sends them out to a list of folks.
I'll be happy to post those emails over here when I get them.

my Uncle saw that movie and said it was really good! (he was a missionary in Papua New Guinea as a bush pilot) I've yet to see it. I need to go watch that one.

Sometimes, those reports are better not made widely public. I would like to be on the distribution, if possible. We have friends in Kenya and Nigeria (not involved in any scams).

I can loan you my copy of the movie...

Gilk51 said:
Sometimes, those reports are better not made widely public. I would like to be on the distribution, if possible. We have friends in Kenya and Nigeria (not involved in any scams).

I can loan you my copy of the movie...
good point. edited to reflect logic ;)

TX-VFR
Ask her if there is a ham readio operator there, and if so we can work on a radio link from there to the states. Several hams talk to the area daily and we can set up patches for her if possible.
Bill
WB5ZAM

SirWilhelm said:
TX-VFR
Ask her if there is a ham readio operator there, and if so we can work on a radio link from there to the states. Several hams talk to the area daily and we can set up patches for her if possible.
Bill
WB5ZAM
That crossed my mind several times before she left but I guess I never mentioned it to her.

she is a ham operator (tech) but I don't believe she took any kind of equipment with her.

What area of Guinea are you working? She's not far (well not far if you not on foot) from Conakry

tx-vfr said:
good point. edited to reflect logic ;)
I composed a response before I read yours with the email in it - I didn't think it was too personal but it is better to be safe, especially for her.

Gilk51 said:
I composed a response before I read yours with the email in it - I didn't think it was too personal but it is better to be safe, especially for her.
thanks for pointing it out. I didn't even think about it.

I trust the people on this board, but I have to remember that this board is open for anyone to read :wary:

I'm not on that often, but a group on 14.240 have a Missionary somewhere (I think he is a 3X) in that area that checks in regularly. I'll ask one of the group who and where their member is.
PM me her callsign (or the one she can use), and if she can find a radio and I'll pass it along to the group leaders (they don't like "net" designation) and have the east coast group look for her. She will be very popular (YL/XYLs are very much in demand on the air).
Don't know what help I can give Nursing-wise but if she needs input, I have been one for 40 plus years. Always glad to help.

Bill in WTx

Just received and email from Pamela's Dad.

Apparently the missionary that Pamela is staying with was bitten by a monkey a bout a week and a half ago and what little treatment they have available over there isn't enough. They are going to fly her(the missionary, not Pamela) back to the states for further treatment.

Her name is Cathy if you could please remember her in prayer.

I was watching that "Dirty Jobs" show on Discovery I think? They were at a monkey place in South Africa and their camera guy was bitten. It was a huge gash in his leg!! I can see how Cathy would need to be taken elsewhere for treatment!! Will definitely say a prayer for a quick recovery and return to her work.

Tourmeister said:
I was watching that "Dirty Jobs" show on Discovery I think? They were at a monkey place in South Africa and their camera guy was bitten. It was a huge gash in his leg!! I can see how Cathy would need to be taken elsewhere for treatment!! Will definitely say a prayer for a quick recovery and return to her work.
from the description that I got, its down to muscle and bone, so yeah, not pretty :puke:

Update on Cathy. She's in a hospital in DFW (don't know which one) and they are working on getting all the infections taken care of. I understand the infectious disease doc was havening to get his reference book out to figure them all out!

She's doing better because the pain is under control, but theres still a lot to be done.

I got to talk to Cathy for a few minutes about 2 weeks ago. Since she and her mom are staying with my grandparents, I was hoping to see them again for Thanksgiving dinner, but they weren't there. I understand that Cathy's husband and kids are going to come stateside to stay with her till her treatments are finished and they can return to their mission.

Pamela has been pretty sick. They thought it was Malaria, but turns out its looking more like Tyhpoid fever. I understand they admitted her to the local clinic and she's doing better now. Still got a long ways to go, but doing better.
If you could please keep them all in your prayers I know it would be greatly appreciated.

yet another update:

Marc (Cathy's husband) and daughters have arrived (last week sometime) and are going to spend Christmas here in the states and head back to Africa in January.

I talked with Pamela this morning on the phone. She's doing better but isn't anywhere near the Pamela that I know.

If you could please continue to pray for Pamela and the whole mission that would be greatly appreciated

Another update.

Looks like the whole country is about to go into a strike and there's a good chance that somebody's going to use it to stage a coup against the existing president. So Pamela and the other two girls that are with her are heading to Mali.

Its been a mess thus far in the evacuation process, but its working out and God is blessing.

Please keep them, and the locals that can't escape, in your prayers.

Been awhile since I updated y'all.

Guinea has gotten pretty volatile. The US Embassy has pulled all non-essential staff and dependents and urged all US Citizens to leave.

Fortunately the girls have been out of Guinea since before the first strike started. They are presently in Mali at another mission project.

With the trouble in Guinea, the mission is pretty much on permanent hold till things settle down. so the family is going to stay stateside for awhile and the girls are most likely going to be heading home in a couple months.

If you'd continue to keep them in your prayers it would be greatly appreciated.

Back