• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Jacket Question-New guy in DualSport

Reaction score
First Name
John
Last Name
Lenheiser
I'm new to Dual Sport riding and collecting my gear, my question is what jacket would be the best to purchase? I like the FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket, but are there others a little less expensive? I do want one with several pockets and the jacket has to have some armor in it. I have FirstGear Mesh-Tex jacket that I wear when riding my road bike, but it's too light weight for winter I would think. Give me you ideas and what works for you when dualsport riding.

John

I haven't go into DS riding yet, so take my opinion for what its worth.

I agree that the MeshTex isn't enough for winter. I'll be adding a non-mesh jacket to the closet here pretty shortly.

If you like the Killimanjaro you might just like the Olympia line. I have a pair of their UltraTour pants and just love them. quality is high and comes with CE rated armor.

if I didn't have monkey arms I would be riding in an AirGlide jacket right now.
I'll have to see if their AST jacket will fit me or if I've gotta keep looking.

good luck and welcome to the forum!

Edit: woops you were asking for cheaper the the FG jacket. the AST runs $290.
Might take a look at TourMaster and see what they have, I've been quite happy with my gear from them as well.

The Joe Rocket Alter Ego is a multi-season armored jacket...it's got an outer shell that zips off to expose the mesh for summer riding, in cooler temps zip the outer shell back on. It ranges from $225 - $240 on NewEnough.com.

For cooler riding, leave the outer shell on...
grey_front.jpg

Warm outside? Zip off the outer shell...
layers6.jpg

Ready for summer!
layers7.jpg

Check out all the pics...
http://www.newenough.com/joe_rocket_alter_ego_jacket_pictures.htm

For cold winter riding though, I'd go for something a little more heavy duty. Something like the Fieldsheer Highland Jacket or the Highland suit.

I love my Kilimanjaro jacket. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I can wear it with just a t-shirt under it and it will keep me comfy down to 40 degrees. Well worth the money IMO.

Try newenough...

I took a chance that the medium Tourmaster Advanced would fit me...

I'll know soon as it will be delivered today...

If not I'll exchange it for the large Tourmaster Saber with runs less than $100...

Both of these are 3/4 length jackets...

The sport version of the advanced jacket is nice too...same armor and construction but a standard length jacket...

http://www.newenough.com/tour_master_advanced_sport_jacket_page.htm

trainman said:
I'm new to Dual Sport riding and collecting my gear, my question is what jacket would be the best to purchase? I like the FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket, but are there others a little less expensive? I do want one with several pockets and the jacket has to have some armor in it. I have FirstGear Mesh-Tex jacket that I wear when riding my road bike, but it's too light weight for winter I would think. Give me you ideas and what works for you when dualsport riding.

John

I think Scott (Tourmeister) just crash tested a Kilimanjaro and was not extremely happy. Ask him.

Back