• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dirt track fun...

jsb223

Reaction score
First Name
jsb223
Not really a dual sport ride but I rode a dual sport bike so here goes.

Took the daily commuter out to the local motorcycle park.

http://www.crookedcreekcyclepark.com

Started out real slow on the the flat track area that has a couple
jump on the straight-aways...I wanted to see how the c858's would hold.

The MX track had way too many rocks so I headed down one of the easy
trails...twisting back and forth between the mesquite trees and post oaks...
almost wiped out my mirrors on the first run.

My arm were getting sore from the "death grip" so I took a short cut back
to the parking area for a rest.

The second time through the trails was much easier and I had much more fun.

By the third and fourth times I was getting tired and making some mistakes so I packed up and headed home...

It was not crowded at all and I seldom saw others riders on the trails.

The park was nice, camping (no hookups) but a porta-a-jon and drinking water available.

I found out one thing...

I need more armor and some MX boots.

If I'm gonna make a habit of riding trails I'm gonna need a smaller lighter bike.

jsb223 said:
I found out one thing...

I need more armor and some MX boots.

If I'm gonna make a habit of riding trails I'm gonna need a smaller lighter bike.

I agree with the armor and boots, I am all about safety. As for the bike, I say gear it down one tooth in the front and learn to whip it around. Sure it would be easier with a 250 2 stroke, but once you get the hang of it, you will be able to throw around your bike. Changing out a front sprocket should not take more than 30 minutes. Oh yeah, tires make a huge diffrence.

Crooked Creek is one of my favorite places to ride. The singe tracks are tight and challenging, especially Twist and Shout.

I'm assuming you did Big Bertha...were there HUGE under crackers hanging from a tree?

Don't forget knee and elbow pads and a chest protector. Branches come out of no where and will break or bruise ribs.

Hehehe...one of the picts on their website was from a ride we did last year. I'm 4th from the end...Woodbutcher is 6th.

irondawg said:
Crooked Creek is one of my favorite places to ride. The singe tracks are tight and challenging, especially Twist and Shout.

I'm assuming you did Big Bertha...were there HUGE under crackers hanging from a tree?

Don't forget knee and elbow pads and a chest protector. Branches come out of no where and will break or bruise ribs.

Hehehe...one of the picts on their website was from a ride we did last year. I'm 4th from the end...Woodbutcher is 6th.

Yeah, sure enough. There we are. I'm assuming you are heading for BB this weekend, right? If not, check this thread out: http://twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?p=177576#post177576

Kind of spur of the moment for me, but there will be few riders from that picture there.

How about you JSB?

Yep, I'm off to BB for the TRH ride.

I'd like to plan something for first week of Dec. at Crooked Creek. Haven't been out there in a while. Need some tight single track time.

irondawg said:
Yep, I'm off to BB for the TRH ride.

I'd like to plan something for first week of Dec. at Crooked Creek. Haven't been out there in a while. Need some tight single track time.

Yea, December 9-10th is the next public ride...

Went to Rocky Ridge on my new bike for the first time. After months of waiting/wanting a bike..........it finally came through. The terrain was dry, but the weather was great. Rocky has hundreds of acres of hills, curves straight-ways, but watch for the larger rocks. For the life of me, I couldn't stop grinning all day. Boyfriend took pics of me on the the bike. The only thing missing on this pic is a number in the front. :lol2:

Attachments

• bike1.jpg
    bike1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 192
What flat track? Site doesn't say anything about a flat track. If it has jumps, must be a TT course? Does it have right hand turns?

On most flat tracks, rear knobbies are verboten. On a well prepped track, a knobbie is awful, anyway, good way to get hurt. :lol2:

I have been able to ride Crooked Creek four or five times. I like the park. They have good trails for beginners (like me). The trailers are good for developing bike handling skill. I hope to try more trails next time out - hopefully New Years day.

See ya...ride safe.

Mark

driscollms said:
They have good trails for beginners (like me)...........
Mark

I have to agree with you there. Be careful if you hit the trails following a rain. The slick mud is quick to become not beginner friendly or at least will test your skills.

Back