PDA

View Full Version : Summer Jacket

Tx Rider
05-21-2004, 09:10 PM
I've been looking all over for a nice textile jacket, looked at my favorite shop the Yamaha shop in Hurst, and other spots.

I don't think I can deal with the real light ones, they feel so flimsy and the armor seems to want to flop around, I can't see it being reliable protection.

I've come down to 2 choices I think, The Triumph mesh jacket I saw at the triumph shop, and an Olympia airglide at the BMW shop. They both have heavier solid material across the back and down the outside of the arms and have back armor as well and feel like they would keep armor in place better and provide better protection.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these? Any suggstions for someone thats tall and thin with lang arms?

I found many nice brands have too short arms for me, and the size that has long enough arms seem to be made for those about twice my diameter.

Doc
05-23-2004, 10:42 PM
Eat more. :chug:

PS: Nice Harley punting today, those sportbike rockets were a trifle surprised I think. :hail

Anonymous
06-25-2004, 07:31 AM
I haven't tried either of the jackets your asking about, but I'll chime in anyway.

Have you tried any of the Fieldsheer mesh jackets. They tend to have a solid leather back with CE approved armor the vital spots.

R

Valker
06-25-2004, 12:24 PM
http://www.newenough.com/joe_rocket_reactor_jacket_page.htm
:shock:

VFRinAustin
06-26-2004, 12:33 PM
As a possible suggestion, check out Spidi. I have a Spidi Netgear mesh jacket and love it.

JM $0.02

HouFJR
07-22-2004, 03:13 PM
I'm currently riding with a Fieldsheer which is a mesh/leather mix, but I'm eyeing the Triumph Raptor jacket; looks very well vented and has quality CE armor.

The quality and fit is quite good; something about the British knowing how to tailor, or something like that.

Tx Rider
07-22-2004, 04:41 PM
I ended up going with the olympia airglide, a friend of mine was also looking and the guy offered a 25% discount for two, couldn't pass that up.

The jacket is great, not realy lightweight but it the armor stays where it needs to be, and it feels like it would be ok in a decent get off with thick cordura on shoulders and outer side of the arms.

Much cooler than leather.

bluedogok
07-22-2004, 06:47 PM
I have the Firstgear Mesh-Tex II jacket and it works very well and I have been happy with it. I bought my Firstgear Mesh-Tex pants (and Sidi boots) at Moto Liberty (http://www.motoliberty.com/) in Dallas. I also know they carry some of the Olympia products. The prices were pretty much the same as New Enough and Lone Star BMW/Triumph here in Austin (which is where I bought my odd sized/color jacket - XXL-Tall)

I have heard pretty much nothing but good things about the Triumph Raptor Mesh jacket.

Tx Rider
07-31-2004, 12:06 AM
Yeah I went by there and grabbed a pair of sidi boots myself. I also grabbed a pair of the firstgear meshtex pants, I got those from Cycle gear, had to order the tall version.

All the triumph gear seems good, it always ranks high in every review I've read, and always for less money too. I bought one of their rainsuits, have yet to see how well it works, but I may real soon.

HouFJR
08-03-2004, 02:48 PM
I went ahead and picked up the Triumph Raptor jacket, and I'm really impressed.

Negatives: There's no liner. It's a summer jacket. Of course, here in Texas, Summer is March through November.

Positives: Superb construction - cordura and tight mesh, Knox CE-95 armor, padded back protector. Two snap-fastener arm adjustments on each arm guarantees no flapping in the wind. Great ventillation. Low cost (~$140 at British USA in Houston).

If you're considering a Joe Rocket Phoenix, check this jacket out first.

Tx Rider
08-03-2004, 07:04 PM
Yeah my choice was down to the Triumph jacket or the Olympia, the Olympia won out because I'm tall and it had longer sleeves than the Triumph.

That always seems to be the main issue on jackets for me, arm length.

The Olympia also has a liner that doubles as a decent windbreaker as well.

The triumph rainsuits are great, and extremely nice to get into as they unzip into basically a duster or bathrobe kinda deal you put on like a coat, and just zip up both legs to the chest.

I understand their boots rock also.