• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Terlingua Dual Sport Ride

Teeds

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Eeds
For those that did not make it ...

You missed a great ride!

For those that did ...

Rub it in!

For those that I met ...

It was great putting screen names and people's faces together!

For those there that I missed ...

bummer!

I got in a 2 this morning and have to be gone back west for business by 1:30, so photos will have to wait until this evening, assuming I don't run completely out of energy from the two meetings between here and a motel somewhere in Abilene ...

I managed 510+ miles over the 4 days I was there ...

What a riot!

Saturday was a hoot but Sunday was the BOMB! I've been to Big Bend and surrounding area at least a couple dozen times but I had no idea of all the different terrain changes. There was a mix of flat, wide open dirt roads to steep, rocky uphills, miles of axle-deep sand washes and, what surprised me, some of the tightest rocky single track around. I'm not talking about flat either, some serious tight uphill/downhills that would eat your up if you were not careful. There's one uphill where once you reached the top you had to make a HARD left. If not, your going 100 feet straight down the other side. Lot's of practice jumping and wheeling over arroyos and 3 foot wide wash outs too. I sure am glad I put a new rear tire on, the old one I started with would have been shredded. Thanks Tony!!

Not sure how many flats we had as a whole, I think maybe 12 on day one and at least 3 on day two. I had two...well actually one. I hit a foot square rock and pinched the front, and then pinched the new tube putting it in...DOH!!

Not much picture taking out on the trail. We had to keep the pace up to make it the 165 miles on day one and day 2 was just too technical.

Out of the 149 riders, (yes 149!!), we had two folks get a bit dinged up but nothing serious considering the terrain and time in saddle. All in all, pretty successful.

To all the guys in my group, I had a great time riding with y'all. Hope y'all make it out next year. :clap: :rider:

Just wanted to say we had a blast.Thanks to everyone involved...Hope everyone made it home ok and apreciate everyone making myself and 'greasepuppy/princess' feel welcome.As far as pictures,you just can't imagine the beauty unless your standing there yourself ....:sun:

GREASEMONKEY said:
Just wanted to say we had a blast.Thanks to everyone involved...Hope everyone made it home ok and apreciate everyone making myself and 'greasepuppy/princess' feel welcome.As far as pictures,you just can't imagine the beauty unless your standing there yourself ....:sun:

You gotta get Greasepup signed up!! Tell 'em he can ride with us anytime...just make sure he wear's his knee pads cause I'm gonna check...again...:trust:

What a great ride!!

Other than ingesting enough dust to choke a mule, it was too much fun...I was home in time to catch the last quarter of the Cowboy's game... I feel for you guys that had to drive 400 miles...:yawn: :nana: I ordered a set of Maxxis IT's today, so I can spit rocks like Iron Dawg...Viva Terlingua..

That was one of the best trips I have had down there, and I did'nt even take a bike!!

I really was Dual Sporting, just with 4 wheels. I did over 300 miles off the pavement in the FJ.

110198543-M.jpg

110197955-M.jpg

110198064-M.jpg

110197515-M.jpg

110196142-M.jpg

What an incredible weekend! It's been said before but it can't be said enough - Thanks to all of those who put this together Burl, Steve, Tony and many others - the organization was fantastic and the terrain diversity over the two days just amzed me.

For a new off-road rider like myself (what a baptism!) I had lot's of concerns about how this whole thing would work out but from moment one at registration I just started meeting nice people and a special thanks to Teeds who led a group of us around on both days - I couldn't have asked for a better lead than the man who put the trail together in the first place - and he hardly ever lost his way ;-)

Saturday morning started off a little rocky - no, make that sandy for me and some deeper sand took me down but from then on it just got better and better for me as my confidence grew. Sunday's rock climbing section was unbeleivably fun - and the scenery at the top was a little like the pic below:

This is a shot off of the nearbye River Road and not the trails we rode but for those who haven't been to the area - it looks this good!

When can we sign up for next year? :rider:

I too had a great time on the ride. Steve, Tony and the guys put on a great ride. A big thanks to Tony who led our group of novices, really made the ride a great experience. It was also great to meet some of the guys here on the forum. Can't wait for next year.

ChrisWFO said:
I too had a great time on the ride. Steve, Tony and the guys put on a great ride. A big thanks to Tony who led our group of novices, really made the ride a great experience. It was also great to meet some of the guys here on the forum. Can't wait for next year.

Chris - came looking for you this morning to get the bike loaded but saw you were already packed up and ready to go - trust your drive was shorter than our haul back to Houston. Enjoyed riding together!

It was great riding with all of you, even though I was staying back out of the dustcloud.

It was really nice to meet everyone- Rocketman650R, Teeds, Greasemonkey, Magus, and all the guys in Teeds' ride group on Sunday.

I am working on pictures.:doh:

David. I enjoyed riding with you too. What a great weekend. We got home about 5:30 today, took the time to have a nice breakfast at Lajitas before we left. My wife wanted to go hike Santa Elena Canyon in Big Bend yesterday afternoon, it was really fun being as sore as I was. Got the bike loaded yesterday after the hike, almost didn't but the golf pro came along and helped as I was about to drop it. As for Lajitas, it is a great place to stay. If any of you guys have to bribe your wives to get to go on the ride, take them to Lajitas.

-one of Steve Smith at the morning rider's meeting.
They did such a great job with this ride, it was amazing in every way!!!!!
IMG_0177.jpg

This pic, I took of myself on Saturday, while out testing my navigation skills.
I give the rollcharters an A+ on their chartwork.
I hope somebody took some action photos, I did not.
IMG_0158.jpg

More pics later.

Had a great time! Not so much Saturday morning, as the ride was simple jeep trails, but Saturday afternoon was much better! And Sunday was even better with the single trails, river washes, mountain climbs and views - really awesome time on Sunday!

Attachments

• registration.jpg
    registration.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 250
  • registration2.jpg
    registration2.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 234
ChrisWFO said:

Chris, are you part of the father/son duo with the two cool Yamaha enduro/motocross bikes?

If so, I am the dude that was hanging back out of the dust cloud turning the rollchart and pushing buttons on the GPS. haha What a fun ride.:rider:

I am trying to keep up with everybody's internet names.

Chadley, no I was riding the XR650L in the group you were riding with on Sunday. I remember you as the other Husky guy besides David.

ChrisWFO said:
Chadley, no I was riding the XR650L in the group you were riding with on Sunday. I remember you as the other Husky guy besides David.
Excellent.
You told us some cool stories about riding in helicopters when you were in the Air Force. Got it!!!
Cheers, Chris.
:mrgreen:

That was the best time I've ever had on a bike! Thanks to Tony for leading us on Saturday. I was riding the CRF450R. I'm definitely ready to do it again.

Marco

Back